• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Reuters) - The highly contagious novel coronavirus that has exploded into a global pandemic can remain viable and infectious in droplets in the air for hours and on surfaces up to days, according to a new study that should offer guidance to help people avoid contracting the respiratory illness called COVID-19.

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or hospital setting, such as through coughing or touching objects.

They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

The scientists then investigated how long the virus remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday - a day in which U.S. COVID-19 cases surged past 5,200 and deaths approached 100.

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

Balance of the article here:
New coronavirus can persist in air for hours and on surfaces for days: study

Hopefully no one will resort to using Jamesons as a hand sanitizer. We'd be scundered for sure to do that.

Have an old unopened bottle of glenfiddich, was hoping to use it for something like hand sanitizer, but it's only 40% alcohol.

Have an old unopened bottle of glenfiddich, was hoping to use it for something like hand sanitizer, but it's only 40% alcohol.

Tragic.

Guess you'll just have to drink that old single-malt Scotch. Oh well, it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

I just had a swig of Jameson in your honor....and that of St. Patrick.

DniuR7kU0AAHa6O

I wonder what people did before toilet paper was invented?

What did people use before toilet paper was readily available? That depends on what part of the world you are from:
  • Traditionally, people in the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent use water and the mechanical action of the left hand.
  • Parts of Europe, too, use strategically aimed jets of water, or separate fixtures known as bidets. In those cases, toilet paper is simply used to dry off.
  • In Japan, flat sticks, a bit like tongue depressors, known as chügi, were drawn from left to right over the soiled area.
  • In ancient Greece, pottery shards were used with a similar scraping motion. Sometimes these pottery fragments would be inscribed with the name of an enemy before being used.
  • In Rome, people cleaned themselves after using a public latrine with a sea sponge lashed to a stick, stored in a bucket of salt water or vinegar. It was considered polite to give the sponge a cursory rinse and a squeeze before putting it back in the bucket to get it ready for the next person.
  • Native Americans used twigs, dry grass, small stones, and even oyster or clam shells.

In rural agrarian communities, handfuls of straw were frequently used, but one of the most popular items to use for clean-up was dried corncobs. They were plentiful and quite efficient at cleaning. They could be drawn in one direction or turned on an axis. They were also softer on tender areas than you might think. Even after toilet paper became available, some people in Western states still preferred corncobs when using the outhouse.

What Did People Use Before Toilet Paper?

I am always extra cautious during flu season so I already had a bunch of hand sanitizer. And I had masks already as well. Now I am just staying in even more than usual and of course not going to resturants or anything like that, before they closed anyways. I hope my favorite little spots do not end up going out of business.

In ancient Greece, pottery shards were used with a similar scraping motion. Sometimes these pottery fragments would be inscribed with the name of an enemy before being used.
I can think of certain names I would inscribe right now!

What did people use before toilet paper was readily available? That depends on what part of the world you are from:
  • Traditionally, people in the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent use water and the mechanical action of the left hand.
  • Parts of Europe, too, use strategically aimed jets of water, or separate fixtures known as bidets. In those cases, toilet paper is simply used to dry off.
  • In Japan, flat sticks, a bit like tongue depressors, known as chügi, were drawn from left to right over the soiled area.
  • In ancient Greece, pottery shards were used with a similar scraping motion. Sometimes these pottery fragments would be inscribed with the name of an enemy before being used.
  • In Rome, people cleaned themselves after using a public latrine with a sea sponge lashed to a stick, stored in a bucket of salt water or vinegar. It was considered polite to give the sponge a cursory rinse and a squeeze before putting it back in the bucket to get it ready for the next person.
  • Native Americans used twigs, dry grass, small stones, and even oyster or clam shells.
In rural agrarian communities, handfuls of straw were frequently used, but one of the most popular items to use for clean-up was dried corncobs. They were plentiful and quite efficient at cleaning. They could be drawn in one direction or turned on an axis. They were also softer on tender areas than you might think. Even after toilet paper became available, some people in Western states still preferred corncobs when using the outhouse.

What Did People Use Before Toilet Paper?
BTW, awesome info!

I'm not sure who here is familiar with the Seth books. They are an eye opening collection of books that make you ponder and even rethink many aspects of life, reality and the universe.

This book in particular is very apt with regards to current events

s1.JPG

Ed

They're heavy going in that there's so much information and different aspects to consider. I find sometimes a paragraph has to be read multiple times to absorb all the information within:

"You have occasional epidemics that flare up, with victims
left dead. Partially, these are also victims of beliefs, for you believe that
the natural body is the natural prey of viruses and diseases over which
you have no personal control, except as it is medically provided. In the
medical profession, the overall suggestion that operates is one that
emphasizes and exaggerates the body's vulnerability, and plays down its
natural healing abilities. People die when they are ready to die, for
reasons that are their own. No person dies without a reason. You are not
taught that, however, so people do not recognize their own reasons for
dying, and they are not taught to recognize their own reasons for living
— because you are told that life itself is an accident in a cosmic game of
chance."

They're heavy going in that there's so much information and different aspects to consider. I find sometimes a paragraph has to be read multiple times to absorb all the information within:

"You have occasional epidemics that flare up, with victims
left dead. Partially, these are also victims of beliefs, for you believe that
the natural body is the natural prey of viruses and diseases over which
you have no personal control, except as it is medically provided. In the
medical profession, the overall suggestion that operates is one that
emphasizes and exaggerates the body's vulnerability, and plays down its
natural healing abilities. People die when they are ready to die, for
reasons that are their own. No person dies without a reason. You are not
taught that, however, so people do not recognize their own reasons for
dying, and they are not taught to recognize their own reasons for living
— because you are told that life itself is an accident in a cosmic game of
chance."
This is very true! There is so much fear being promulgated that people are beginning to believe that there is absolutely nothing they can do. Before the CDC, people would have formed their own beliefs, or drew upon whatever healing practices they were familiar with.

How to go for a run or a walk without making it a health risk

TLDR

"Is it okay to be less than six feet away from someone while running past them?"

"Overall, runners should balance concerns over the coronavirus with personal safety: Do your best to maintain a six-foot distance while passing other runners, but don’t stress if you need to pass someone at a closer range (unless they are coughing or sneezing)."

"What about surfaces a runner encounters outdoors?"

"...remind yourself to not touch your face, even when you’re sweating. 'This might be a good time for sweat bands if you have them, to put on your wrists or forearms to wipe away sweat from your face. And use an elbow to touch walk signs if you can.' And of course, wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds afterwards."

Carry your "own water, rather than use a public drinking fountain."

from
https://elemental.medium.com/is-it-really-safe-to-exercise-outside-d74610a3508b

My Russian friend bought vodka for disinfectant. I saw bleach on the store shelves yesterday and just stared at it in a trance. But l ended up going with a bleach soap product because bleach is highly carcinogenic. In fact l was relieved to be let go in a optical shop because one of the duties - cleaning with bleach was making me sick in these tiny rooms.

But l like the Russian treatment plan, first procure vodka, second-go into sauna and consume vodka 3. Sweat out vodka with virus 4. Do this 3 xtimes a week. There you have it.
They have excellent bleach green substitutes.

New Threads

Top Bottom