• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Loma Prieta earthquake, when some folks on the street were losing it.
I grew up in southern California, so I rode out my share of earthquakes.
full

Agreed. When I think of real panic and hysteria I have to think back to October 17, 1989. The Loma Prieta earthquake, when some folks on the street were losing it. I still recall having to yell at some man to keep it together in the presence of his young son.

Still, that was a pretty scary afternoon seeing as how I was in one of the worst places to be when it happened. On a BART station platform. It didn't collapse, but the quake knocked everyone to the ground. When it stopped, no one said a word. They just went down the escalators that were still working and exited the station. Lots of folks exhibiting grace under pressure.

As horrible as Hurricane Katrina was, most people were calm and helped each other. They devised ways to feed each other, find drinking water and carry out dead bodies. Of course, FEMA was nowhere to be found for weeks so neighbors, families and churches were first responders for a very long time. I do recall a situation where a brother shot and killed his sister, fighting over the last bag of ice at a convenience store but I suspect drugs played a role in that.

The only way I can cope with the pestilence is to not set foot outside of my apartment and limit my contact with the outside world as much as possible. Of course, if someone else in the building gets it, I guess I'll just start living outside in a tent or something.

@GrownupGirl Or build a small summerhouse for yourself in advance. (Maybe have someone put one together for you) They come in a pack and has instructions. It’ll need a portable fan heater, though. I think they’re safer and make it nice and homely with a plant, rug and blackout blinds along with a comfortable chair and throw to keep yourself cosy. It’s just the essentials you need; not much.

The only thing is NO WIFI :fearscream:

My Granny had an old TV in her summer house, but I don’t think it ever worked? Maybe it was just there for show. Her summer house was tiny.

Last edited:
He'll be ready for ANYTHING!
Ms. Potato head packs everything | Toy Story 2 (1999)

Last edited:
Well I went to the grocery store this morning, went straight to the empty meat section, left my cart there and left. I refuse to search through the preprepared foods for crap I wouldn't feed my dog.

It's too late. The pestilence seemed at first like a distant thing. Now it is like the apocalypse. Probably because it is. Go to the grocery store and entire aisles are empty. I can't afford to stock up on extra supplies, anyway. :mad:

Some expert advice on Coronavirus
From the eminent pathologist Dr James Robb:

Date: February 26, 2020

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.
Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip – do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home’s entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can’t immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average – everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.
2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you – it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth – it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.
4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY “cold-like” symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim
James Robb, MD FCAP

Dr. Robb is a recognized expert in biospecimen science with over 50 years of experience in molecular pathology, virology, and genetics. He is board certified in anatomic pathology, clinical pathology, cytopathology, and dermatopathology. Dr. Robb is a consulting pathologist to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research (OBBR).
Slipped Disc | Some expert advice on Coronavirus

(Snopes)..."reached out to Robb to ask if he was the author of this letter. Via email, he told us that he did indeed write it, but that it was never meant to be for anyone besides family and close friends, and that it was not intended to be an advertisement for any specific product..."

Did a Noted Pathologist Write This Viral Coronavirus Advice Letter?

James Robb (pathologist) - Wikipedia

As of today I’m following government advice and staying indoors. But I do have good company: several bottles of vodka and a case of beer. Might as well get drunk if I’m not allowed to go anywhere.

The times they are a changing'. Nope...wasn't intending to post a Bob Dylan song. :rolleyes:

Though it is gratifying to see that even The Police are doing their part in this emergency.

As of today I’m following government advice and staying indoors. But I do have good company: several bottles of vodka and a case of beer. Might as well get drunk if I’m not allowed to go anywhere.
Oh god - that’s unhealthy desires. The risk to the public is low to moderate, however this doesn’t mean the risk to the public has increased – it simply means that governments and the health service need to increase their preparation in case of a more widespread outbreak.

Most people can continue to go to work, school and other public places for now.

You only need to stay away from public places (self-isolate) if advised by a medical professional/non emergency call.

Oh god - that’s unhealthy desires. The risk to the public is low to moderate, however this doesn’t mean the risk to the public has increased – it simply means that governments and the health service need to increase their preparation in case of a more widespread outbreak.

Most people can continue to go to work, school and other public places for now.

You only need to stay away from public places (self-isolate) if advised by a medical professional/non emergency call.
My government has decreed that all schools will be closed, all hospitality businesses will be closed, all sports clubs will be closed and people should stay home unless absolutely necessary. All my appointments at work have been canceled. I’m not going anywhere for now.

Also, I’m a medical professional myself ;)

I overheard someone in Starbucks (out of all places, lol) The calorie bombs as you once called it... that lots of businesses will be closed down by next Friday. I hope not, as like you, it’ll drive me insane being indoors. I’m employed at a supermarket and hoping if we do close I’ll get sick pay; probably not, though. I’ve got an art project to focus on if the worst comes to the worst.

I live in the Netherlands. Late this afternoon it was announced that coffee shops (the place to legally buy your hash and weed) would have to be closed by 6 PM. It was madness. I thought it wouldn’t get worse than the toilet paper craze, but the lines for coffee shops were absolutely insane.

The idea of simply holing up at home won't work for some of us over the long haul. Just imagine the blackouts that will happen in places like Phoenix and Las Vegas if people remain at home 24/7 in the next few months. The power grids won't be able to handle all those air conditioners running at the same time. :eek:

Luckily for a Sunday so far things seem pretty tame locally. People still out and about at a leisurely pace, even though it might snow here.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom