1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coronavirus is freaking me out

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Warshipsfan1, Mar 12, 2020.

Quarantined for 2 weeks? You would say...

1. I feel awful. This is PRISON!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It bothers me to some extent, but no big deal.

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Doesn't matter anyway. It's just two weeks. I'll watch TV.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. What? A free hotel, and with ROOM SERVICE? Can we do this every year?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Warshipsfan1

Warshipsfan1 Well-Known Member

The last few weeks has been kinda horrible from having constant worries about this coronavirus that have left me confused....to me not knowing what the heck I'm doing at the moment.

I'm just scared I'll get infected and possibly die

The University have offered me a place again, but I'm to scared to go back cause of the virus outbreaks across the country. (I'm in Australia)

There are things I like to do but I keep falling on my face.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Pretty much the only people with significant risk of dying are those over 80 and those with pre-existing health conditions like heart disease and diabetes. The mortality rate for people your age is not much different then for the regular seasonal flu. This flu is fairly mild for the youngest age groups and children. So you can stop worrying about dying and will have to find another excuse to avoid school. ;)

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 5
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin Well-Known Member

If you're freaking out about it - stop reading about it.

Mortality rate for anyone under 65 or so is extremely low and that's even if you were to get it.

Chances of you getting it are low.
    Chances of it being mild are high.
    Chances of it becoming serious are low.
    Chances of it being serious and then turning fatal are low.

The media has been relentless with regards to this outbreak and it can easily lead to anxiety and panic. But you can't let "what if's" ruin your life or stop you from succeeding in what you want to do.

Take it from someone who had health anxiety every day for over 5 years - your anxiety has as much power as you allow it to have. It feeds of negativity and if you keep feeding it, it will continue to grow.

Continue living your life. Keep busy and occupied. Too much free time when you're anxious can lead to overthinking and negativity.

Just remind yourself - a world full of other people's problems is not your burden to carry, unless you choose to make it so. Even if you carry this burden, you can't fix the world.

Ed

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  4. VAW

VAW Well-Known Member

Don't be scared, I think the regular flu has killed more people than the coronavirus. Just make sure you wash your hands regularly while you are out and not touch your face and you will be fine! There is insane panic about this!!! This all will pass, just live your life.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

The panic is real. One of my friends has told me she’s not coming to my birthday party because she is afraid of getting the coronavirus if she leaves her house. Even though none of my guests are sick, there are only two confirmed cases in our province and she is in perfect health and young enough to be at a very low risk of serious complications, she’s too scared. She’s hiding in her house with a stockpile of food.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

Stop watching the news, that will help. Be sanitary, wash your hands, don't touch doorknobs and such with your hands or rub your eyes, and wear a facemask if you are really that worried about it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

I'll second everything that was said here.

And also as was said here, I tend to have CONSTANT health-related anxiety myself. I am *very* germ paranoid. And everything else paranoid, really.

But a lesson I learned the very hard way is, well... alot of the stuff that people here are telling you, OP.

Dont let the panic get to you, and understand, the media isnt telling you about it so you can be informed. They are telling you about it so they can profit from you continuing to watch/read them. There's a reason that, when something "scary" appears, it is the *only* thing the media will talk about.

As someone who deals with germ paranoia all day every day, I already spent some time researching this, AND discussing it with certain people in my life who are far wiser and more experienced than I am. Which includes a couple of health professionals in the family. I'm far from immune to the stupid fearmongering techniques, but, the fear I at first had over this is gone (well, gone back down to my usual low-grade paranoia over random germs, anyway).

The advice I have for you is simple: Do the things you should, frankly, already be doing in order to combat/prevent any illness. Wash your hands, for one. No, I dont mean drop a blob of soap and slap them together. Learn to wash them *properly*. Watch a tutorial if you have to (yes, I'm dead serious about that, that's not a sarcastic joke, the vast majority of people SERIOUSLY do not know how to wash their hands, there IS a right and a wrong way to do it). When you touch ANY object, dont then touch your face afterwards (particularly your mouth) until you have washed again (same with your hair, if you have hair long enough that it gets in your mouth/nose at random sometimes like mine does). If people are coughing left and right around you? Maybe leave, but dont panic... people cough all the time for no good reason at all (I know I sure do, I'm allergic to everything). Though, hopefully the people around you have the courtesy to cover their mouths when they do cough. Nobody wants to stand in their snot-storm, after all, even if it is just from allergies.

The things that you should be doing in response to this whole ordeal are exactly the things that you should already be doing as a sort of "general prevention" kind of thing. Influenza is every bit as problematic as this thing, but everyone foolishly ignores it. Well, now's a good time to learn how to properly protect yourself from things such as this.

You can find lots and lots of tips about sanitization and keeping clean out there.

But panicking isnt going to help. Nor is listening to all the fearmongering. Turn off the TV, stop reading all of the stupid news sites that are all freakouts all the time, and apply some common sense and basic prevention techniques.

But also, dont let yourself focus on it too much. If you find you're starting to feel scared, get up and DO something. Whether it's a video game or watching a movie or going for a jog, go DO something. Nothing fuels anxiety more than inactivity.

You'll get through this, seriously. Now get up and go do something fun. Or, I dunno, punch a wall, whatever lets you take your mind offa this for awhile.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

@Bolletje Wow!
    I have a gripe about it this morning - all I'm seeing is Tom Hanks and his wife testing positive and the news is using that now we should ALL worry. And like them getting it should have us all worried. Why?

Anyway, I just keep reminding people of this:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. HidinginPlainSight

HidinginPlainSight Well-Known Member

I don't touch people or like to be touched...........at least that's socially acceptable now.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
  10. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

He's a 63 year old male probably in relatively good condition for his age. No doubt that they will get the best medical care money can buy, but at 63 years of age the question is how much that may matter in the overall equation. -Unknown in real time as far as I can speculate.

If they survive, great news not only to them, but to everyone else as well in their age group.

That's us, Pats. :oops:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Varzar

Varzar Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It's interesting the range of reactions goes from people that are full panicking, to people that are almost overly nonchalant about the whole thing..

Yes, this is a worse than a usual flu virus, and if we don't contain it as we are attempting to do, it could cause a significant amount of death.. Odds are that may not be you, but it might be someone close to you (parents, grandparents, friends with asthma or diabetes). Countries that are shutting down events, schools, quarantining, or asking for social distancing likely are not trying to protect you, but protect the compromised immune system people that you might come in contact with when you don't even know you're carrying the virus..

Does it call for panic? No.. Relax.. It's still not deadly for the majority of people.. We're all just going to muddle through this inconvenient time and get out the other side.. As people have pointed out, the flu kills thousands every year, and we don't panic about that.. It's just part of life.. Yes, this kills at a rate 10 times greater than the flu, but that is why officials are taking it more seriously and trying to avoid it spreading, particularly to the vulnerable segments of our society.

It's like we're all driving on a highway, and we've just gotten to some slow moving bumper to bumper traffic.. You don't start trying to make new lanes in the grass at the side of the road, and you don't need to rage at all the other drivers.. You just have to have some patience and wait for the traffic to slowly inch forward.. We'll all get there in the safest way if we just keep inching forward and following along..

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm just freaking about the effects on the worldwide economy, feeling very vulnerable as I'm in job search right now in the middle of what feels like a meltdown...

I do know that my odds of getting it are very low, but the whole world is shutting down... When all the sports leagues suspend play, that alone has huge impact on the economy, all the people who work within those industries and their suppliers...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Judge

Tragically I have to agree. Watching all this play out in real time, the impact on the economy is far more likely to effect virtually everyone far beyond the virus itself.

As it is, our stock markets seem poised to drop to 2016 levels perhaps in a matter of days if not hours. With no apparent gimmicks left which government can reassure the markets with.

In a modern pandemic if one cannot be immunized, the next best thing may be to be capitalized. So I can understand all the panic selling.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Varzar

I think I'd feel worse about the economic ripple effect if it weren't affecting everyone everywhere.. The fact that basically the entire world is in this together, is more suggestive to me that governments around the world are going to end up working together to get things moving again..

@Sherlock77 - That is definitely a precarious situation you're in. I hope some of that billion dollars that Trudeau has pledged to help people ends up helping people like yourself. Alberta's really hurting right now with the double whammy of this and an all out oil price war, and I seriously hope it gets some TLC from the federal government.. Trudeau is always touting how important he thinks Canadian jobs are (his excuse for SNC-Lavalin).. Time for him to put some funding behind those words, particularly for the oil patch..

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm far more concerned about frail people dying without help, who choose not to pursue hospitalization or doctors. Those individuals alone in their homes, or in war torn areas, or the homeless. I don't care about whether the stock market goes down, it recovers itself in pretty much every instance and the wealthy benefit each time in some manner. Don't care if people attend sports events that billionaires make a great deal of money from.
    I care that there are people out there who are ill, who have no access to ventilators or the care of Doctors.

An Italian Doctor wrote about the decisions he now has to make each day, who will live and who will die. This is translated from the Italian:

"The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

"The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

"Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing Covid19 to flu, link here]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is 'temporarily' put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

"Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

"Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

"Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

"The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask, 'What can I do for you now?'

"Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

"There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

"Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

"We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy.

"I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?"

'Every ventilator becomes like gold' - doctors give emotional warnings from Italy's Coronavirus outbreak

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Judge

That happens every day in my country rain or shine. Where the real crisis remains a lack of affordable health care. Whether people have or can afford insurance or not.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

@Mia There are at least two sides to this whole story, and we all approach this situation from our own perspectives, but I'm feeling very vulnerable right now, would feel a wee bit better about it if I had a job, just saying... I am concerned also about the people fighting the medical side of this...

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Misery

Aye, same here actually.

While I have no *personal* fear of this (as I'm not old, and have good health and very strong resistances), and while I also dont fear for *most* of the people around me (family, extended or otherwise), I DO worry for those that are elderly, or that are already dealing with a nasty pre-existing condition.

I actually lost an uncle a couple of years ago, with something like this. Respiratory thing of whatever sort turned into pneumonia. Quite sudden. He was indeed in that "older" bracket, and also had a really bad liver condition (he would have died within 5 years if no transplant could be found in that time, which I didnt hear about until after he passed). He was *exactly* the sort of person that gets hit by this kind of thing, whether it's the flu or this new thing.

I know that my own chances of even so much as contracting this are very low. Same with most of the people around me. However, I'd be concerned about the elderly and such around me even if this was a really major flu outbreak, instead of this particular virus. The idea of being a CARRIER of this sort of thing is also concerning. I'm 100% certain that I've BEEN that carrier many times (obviously not aware of it during it, and I've fortunately gotten way better at being sanitary/clean since then). Likely, I'll be increasing my efforts at sanitizing even further, with that in mind. Well, I do that during flu season too, so it's not like I'm out of practice.

It's absolutely okay to be concerned in a situation like this, and it's even more okay to take careful precautions, particularly with those around you that fit into the "risk" bracket. Precautions are good! Always good. But panic definitely does not help. Just leads to mistakes, or even creates other kinds of dangers (and I dont mean just disease or economic ones). So I'm really hoping that more people can avoid that aspect of it.

There, I'm done rambling on this particular subject, I think. Not much else for me to say. I do intend on checking up on some of those in the family who are at risk though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. Varzar

The idea with Covid that you can be a carrier for up to 2 weeks with no symptoms is very concerning.. That's rather unusual in our common set of diseases (like the flu).. Usually, you know you're sick before you're actually contagious, and people tend to automatically warn off others, "Oh, I'd better not hug you, I'm sick..".. But, with this.. You can't even know when you go to give your parent/grandparent a hug that you might be sharing more with them than intended...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Misery

Aye, indeed.

And, something ELSE occurred to me just now.

If I were to catch the blasted thing... I genuinely might not NOTICE. Why? I have things like headaches (and everything-aches, seriously there arent any days when something DOESNT hurt) and freaking snotstorms all the bloody time. These have nothing to do with any actual illness (I've been to doctors for all of this stuff.... just to be sure). These are just rather normal things for me. The aches are all related to nerve/tendon stuffs (I go to PT for this, it is helpful!) and the snot is, well, I'm allergic to basically everything. Which, I gotta tell ya, gets old fast. I have allergy meds nowadays, so it's not even CLOSE to the constant torment it was back in my school years, but still, it's there. And of course, being on the spectrum, sometimes I just get alot of sensory weirdness. It's part of the package, with that. Feh.

And with all of those things... yeah. It's genuinely possible that I might display symptoms of this (or some other virus, it doesnt have to be this one), and still not notice. That is a bit of a concern. I dont want to do something like give the blasted thing (or the flu!) to, like, my grandma for instance when visiting her, simply because "I didnt notice".

You know, I'd never really thought too hard about the whole "carrier" concept when it comes to this stuff. I mean, I knew it was likely that it'd happened in the past, me holding/spreading some stupid thing that I myself never got symptoms from (or that I did get symptoms from, but simply didnt actually notice). But never really thought much of it, even though I probably should have. Now that it's occurred to me, I'll probably go even further with the blasted sanitizing to lower the possibility. As if I dont do that obsessively enough already.

Hmm, going to have a bit of a chat with immediate family about this one. Just to make sure that THEY are being sanitary too, and being careful, so they dont spread anything to elderly family or friends. Never hurts to be careful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1