1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coronavirus and fear mongering.....

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Major Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. ErikBloodAxe

ErikBloodAxe New Member

When this started to get serious just over a month ago I was freaking out a bit. I have a history of catastrophising, and even very minor issues can overwhelm me. However, I also have a tendency to eventually go the other way. I am definitely not freaking out about it at all now.

It has been an interesting time for me to be able to reflect on this happening to me and it has given me the chance to look back at the other times when this has happened. I have been trying to use this awareness when I get in other situations which may cause similar reactions. It does seem to be helping me.

When this started, the news had a huge impact on me. By not reading or watching the news as much, I am feeling much more at peace. I tend to read both the Guardian and Daily Mail as I like to get polar opposite opinions; they are both as bad as each other in my opinion.

“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”
    George R.R. Martin

• Like Like x 2
  2. oregano

oregano Judgment day: 25/8/2021? V.I.P Member

*sigh* Yet another misinterpretation of this part of Revelation.

If you understand the societal context of the time in which Revelation was written, the Mark is clearly MONEY.

In the Roman Empire, each coin had the face of the "Caesar", or emperor, on one side and the crest of Caesar on the other. Every patrician, or nobleman, had his own "coat of arms", or crest. If he needed to approve a document, he would stamp it with his crest. (The written signature has only existed for the past three centuries or so.) Since he "marked" the document with his crest, the crest became known as a man's "mark".

Since the Beast will be a man, and indeed it is believed that the Number refers to the emperor Nero, the Beast's Mark will be his crest. Since the Mark is money, that explains the statement that no man shall buy or sell without the Mark. Since most people are right handed, they use that hand to exchange money, thus the Mark is in their right hands. During Roman times, each centurion had the emperor's mark on the front of his helmet. Then as now, soldiers got special discounts and such, because of the Mark being on their foreheads.

I really wish that people would take into account the era in which Revelation was written, and the fact that it is written in allegory and metaphor to avoid Roman censorship.

3. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

COVID-19 is certainly a serious virus and sadly has become politicized. It's always someone else's fault. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to affect children and the vast majority of people who get it will be able to fight it off w/out needing to go to the hospital. The issue is that it is extremely contagious so it is very difficult if not impossible to contain.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about the long term financial and economic consequences. Here in the U.S. we like to spend more money than we make - we like to live beyond our means. Not everyone, but most of us. This attitude of living beyond our means seems to permeate through our society, from individuals all the way up to the Federal government. I'm all for the federal gov't helping out in a crisis such as the one we find ourselves in, but the problem is even in the good times the federal gov't is racking up debt. So from a financial standpoint, we are ill-prepared to handle a crisis. Sadly, responsibility for the current irresponsible management of finances at the federal level will be passed on to the younger generations in the form of massive debt.

4. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Looking at the cases in UK, this virus seems to disproportionately affect men, and they are much higher in the strongly affected group, and sadly in the deaths. Often there's an underlying issues such as asthma, but not always, for example the prime minister here is 55 and reasonably healthy, but was very ill. I think that people need to raise their awareness that this virus can be very serious for people, and take care, plus take it seriously as a health risk, especially men over 40 and older, and people 60 +.

5. Ezra

Ezra Relax, it's just chaos.

Aren't men 40 and older, and people 60+ generally at greater risk regarding a number of diseases?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Ezra

In the US there has only been a partial quarantine. Half the workforce has still been going at it. There have been millions still using public transportation. Especially in New York where PT is the most common form of transportation. Grocery stores and big boxmart stores like Walmart are still operating at a full volume of customers from what I have seen. So there has still been millions of people all around each other to spred the virus and bring it home to their quarantined family.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Thinx

I am sure they may be, though each virus works differently, for example Spanish flu killed many young people, sadly. However, as someone just over 60 who is well, I haven't been counting myself as at any great risk just yet, and this virus has given me a new risk factor to think about. It will make me live my life differently as I hope to retain its as long as possible.

In regards to gender in this case, the difference is so marked, they are speculating if there is increased protection for women from the double X chromosome, as the X chromosome relates to immunity. More research needed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ezra

I don't mean just a virus. I mean diabetes, cancer, stroke, heart attack etc. Millions die from those things just based on having an unhealthy diet. Men have always been at greater risk and had a lower life expectancy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Thinx

Yes indeed. But here we are seeing about 35 to 50% more men dying, in most age categories. A lot of them probably already have some of the conditions you mention, and others such as obesity, though obesity is slightly more common in women. We'll have to wait for more information on why this is happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ezra

Yes indeed. It will be interesting to see how it ends up panning out. Personally I'm currently with the school of thought that deaths due to C-19 are conflated. But it's still too early to tell for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

None of those diseases are contagious and most can be medically managed, providing the patients with normal life spans. Covid-19 is highly transmittable and is mutating. "Experts" are comparing historical death rates in states to death rates for the last few months, and it appears that the C-19 death toll is much higher than previous estimates. There is no other explanation for the suddenly increased death rates other than C-19. Pretty scary stuff.

12. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

@Ezra
    "Grocery stores and big boxmart stores like Walmart are still operating at a full volume of customers from what I have seen."

Not around here.
    Strict adherence to very reduced number of people in the store at one time.
    To the extent of one door to enter, one door to exit, and if the maximum number
    allowed is already in the store, you will have to stand in line. Six feet apart, of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Another thing they are trying to figure out is why smokers contract C-19 at a lower rate than non-smokers. They suspect that nicotine attaches to the same receptor cells in lungs as C-19 and therefore blocks C-19 from infecting those lungs. France is experimenting with nicotine patches to see if they will reduce infection rates. Of course, if a smoker does get C-19, then they have a harder time clearing their lungs of the infection than a non-smoker. We all may start smoking or wearing a patch if nicotine reduces risk of infection!

A mystery syndrome is showing up in children associated with C-19 - enlarged cardiac arteries, etc. And covid-toe, which looks like chilblains, is showing up in adults who may have had a mild case of C-19.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Ezra

This is something that was posted elsewhere:

"Good charts of all-cause US death rate for last several years:
    April: U.S. Death Rate From All Causes (Including COVID-19) At Multi-Year LOW

The current 2020 season is slightly worse than 2014 and 2016, but this season, even with the WuFlu, is much better (lower overall deaths) than 2015, 2017, and 2018. In other words, WuFlu is undetectable in the general all-cause death chart."

15. Ezra

I probably inadvertently exaggerated when I said full volume. But here in the Seattle area there are a lot of people in the grocery store and at Walmart and the like. Maybe less than before, but still many throughout the day.

16. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nitro

How COVID-19 is different and worse than the flu

There are reasons to compare flu and COVID-19. Both are infectious respiratory illnesses that can cause similar symptoms, including fever and body aches. Both are more likely to cause serious illness and death in people over age 65. But they’re also very different because the two illnesses are caused by different viruses.

How is COVID-19 worse than the flu?

What makes COVID-19 so much more dangerous than the flu is that there’s no vaccine and no natural immunity in the world, meaning everybody is susceptible. A flu vaccine is available and effective to prevent some of the most dangerous types of the virus or to reduce the flu’s severity.

Antiviral medications can address flu symptoms and sometimes shorten the duration of the illness.

Unlike the flu, there are no proven antiviral treatments for COVID-19. In addition, COVID-19 appears to be about 10 times as deadly as the flu. People who contract coronavirus face a far greater risk of death than those who get the flu, according to the World Health Organization. WHO also says that COVID-19 is 10 times deadlier than the H1N1 swine flu strain.

The death rate for flu—usually about 0.1%—is thought to be many times lower than for the coronavirus. The current best estimate for the coronavirus is 1%.

And, because nobody has natural immunity, the number of individuals who could be infected and may have a fatal case of COVID-19 is everybody in the world vs. a subset of individuals in the case of influenza.

How is COVID-19 different than the flu?

COVID-19 has both similarities and differences with the common flu. Both are viruses that actually are not live entities but packets of genetic material, and distinguishing between the two isn’t always easy. But there are some generalities that may be helpful.

• It’s not uncommon for both to cause fever, as well as fatigue and tiredness. Body aches and headache tend to be more common with the flu than COVID-19.
    • One potential distinguishing factor is a runny nose. Nasal congestion and runny nose are common with the flu, but quite infrequent with COVID-19. Some sources suggest only a 5% presence in coronavirus cases.
    • In addition, COVID-19 may also cause a loss of smell or taste sensation. The flu doesn’t.
    • Although initially diarrhea as well as nausea and vomiting were thought not to be a common symptom in COVID-19, this belief has been shown to be incorrect.
    • COVID-19 spreads more easily than the flu. The incubation time from exposure to first symptoms for the flu, 1 to 4 days, is short compared with 1 to 14 days for COVID-19.
    • Symptoms last longer for COVID-19, from 7 to 21 days, compared to a week or two for the flu.
    • There doesn’t appear to be a COVID-19 season, while there is a flu season.
    Randell Wexler is a primary care physician at The Ohio State Wexner Medical Center and a professor of family medicine at the Ohio State College of Medicine.

How COVID-19 is different and worse than the flu

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nitro

U.S. coronavirus outbreak soon to be deadlier than any flu since 1967 as deaths top 60,000

"(Reuters) - U.S. deaths from the novel coronavirus topped 60,000 on Wednesday and the outbreak will soon be deadlier than any flu season since 1967, according to a Reuters tally."

"America's worst flu season in recent years was in 2017-2018 when more than 61,000 people died, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Preventihere

The only deadlier flu seasons were in 1967 when about 100,000 Americans died, 1957 when 116,000 died and the Spanish flu of 1918 when 675,000 died, according to the CDC.

The United States has the world’s highest coronavirus death toll and a daily average of 2,000 people died in April of the highly contagious respiratory illness COVID-19, according to a Reuters tally. The first U.S. death was recorded on Feb. 29 but recent testing in California indicates the first death might have been on Feb. 6, with the virus circulating weeks earlier than previously thought.

On Tuesday, COVID-19 deaths in the United States eclipsed in a few months the 58,220 Americans killed during 16 years of U.S. military involvement during the Vietnam War. Cases topped 1 million.

The actual number of cases is thought to be higher, with state public health officials cautioning that shortages of trained workers and materials have limited testing capacity.

The outbreak could take nearly 73,000 U.S. lives by Aug. 4, compared with an April 22 forecast of over 67,600, according to the University of Washington's predictive model here often cited by White House officials.

In early March, the prospect that the coronavirus would kill more Americans than the flu was unthinkable to many politicians who played down the risk of the new virus.

Republican President Donald Trump tweeted on March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

On March 11, Democratic New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio told New Yorkers during a radio interview to eat out at restaurants if they were not sick.

That same day, top U.S. infectious diseases expert Dr. Anthony Fauci warned Congress that the coronavirus was at least 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

There is as yet no treatment or vaccine for coronavirus while flu vaccines are widely available along with treatments."

U.S. coronavirus outbreak soon to be deadlier than any flu since 1967 as deaths top 60,000

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ezra

I saw an article saying the CDC updated their estimation of 2017/18 flu deaths to 80,000.

Also:
    "2009 Swine-Flu Death Toll 10 Times Higher Than Thought
    The swine-flu pandemic of 2009 may have killed up to 203,000 people worldwide—10 times higher than the first estimates based on the number of cases confirmed by lab tests, according to a new analysis by an international group of scientists."
    2009 Swine-Flu Death Toll 10 Times Higher Than Thought | Live Science

20. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

@Ezra
    "I probably inadvertently exaggerated when I said full volume. But here in the Seattle area there are a lot of people in the grocery store and at Walmart and the like. Maybe less than before, but still many throughout the day."

WalMart's current policy:

"...a single, clearly designated entrance and another clearly designated exit at each store to help maintain social distancing and lessen the instances of people closely passing each other. We’re also limiting the number of people in a store at once to allow no more than five customers for each 1,000 square feet at a given time, roughly 20 percent of a store’s capacity."

Important Store Info

• Like Like x 1