1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coronavirus and fear mongering.....

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Major Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LucyPurrs

LucyPurrs NT, INFJ V.I.P Member

I find it hard to understand why they are not locking down the entire country given the speed with which the numbers are increasing. They keep waiting until it's virtually too late before they act. Like the masks and ventilators- if they really have thousands of masks in emergency reserves, why are they not distributed by now given the pleas from health professionals who need them? To put all the responsibility on the states to get these supplies is ludicrous- what's the national government for? I think it's just President Trump's way of once again avoiding all responsibility. Ditto with the ventilators. Too little too late and it's sad his supporters are so unable to critically think anything through since this may doom our citizens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

We've voluntarily isolated ourselves because other people refuse to do it. Teenagers and young adults are cavalier about the risks and Florida just ordered spring breakers off the beaches.

I think President Trump has dragged his feet to provide readily available testing because the numbers would spike and make him look bad or even worse than he does now. Meanwhile, he is probably investing in ventilator manufacturing companies. He is pushing another lie that an antimalarial drug will be approved for C-19 treatment - but there is zero evidence of any efficacy for the drug. I figure he owns stock in the drug company that manufactures it.

We are seeing what happens when the federal government is weak.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. LucyPurrs

LucyPurrs NT, INFJ V.I.P Member

Mr. Trump is in such denial of anything that might reflect negatively on his presidency, that he's going to wait until this country is where Italy is at before he takes any real action and this will be closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. We need for the country to shut down NOW not in 2 weeks or more. It's always easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility. And President Trump is the epitome of how to avoid taking responsibility for anything, no matter how insignificant. He needs to be confronted when he makes statements like "the Federal government is not a shipping clerk". This is not only a statement totally lacking in any empathy for front line medical providers, but wrong- it is precisely the Federal Government's responsibility to lead and take national action when the country is in acute crisis.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

A lot of political irony in this. The kind that would have made Abraham Lincoln roll over in his grave.

Modern day Republicans ideologically emphasize states' rights almost to a point that the Confederacy did. And of course history showed just how self-defeating a confederacy proved to be in fighting against a more powerful federal government that could more effectively harness far more manpower and industry to ultimately preserve the union.

It's a tragic political miscalculation on President Trump's part to weigh each and every move not in terms of what is good for the nation and the people, but for him, his party and Wall Street in a contentious election cycle.

Perhaps some words of encouragement are in order for Republicans to recall the importance of a strong federal government in times of a great crisis:

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived, and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives, that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

- Lincoln's Gettysburg Address

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

upload_2020-3-21_11-31-25.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

This is a short video by a doctor speaking of the "pandemic". I found it interesting and to ring true. Yes, the virus is real, but it's not the threat it's being touted to be..

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rectify

Rectify Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Did you go or stay? Please tell me you stayed home....! I haven't been on for a while so I'll read more to find out :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Rectify

That's really something. As in, pretty out there.

9. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It seems that Dr. Rachid Buttar is an osteopath, with little to no background in viruses. He's no authority on infectious diseases.
    He's not someone who has enough knowledge of the subject, sorry to say, to relate this kind of information. And has been convicted of fraud in the past.

Rashid Buttar - Wikipedia

The North Carolina Board of Medical Examiners, Dr. Rashid Buttar, and protecting the public from practitioners of non-science-based medicine

• Like Like x 2
  11. GadAbout

GadAbout Well-Known Member

Hi - no, we didn't go. I should find out soon if our trip cancellation insurance will reimburse us anything - but when it came right down to it, the money spent on the cruise was not worth our lives!

12. Rectify

I'm glad to hear that @GadAbout. I tried to read the thread and find out but it was pretty difficult reading :/ You're right the cruise wasn't worth your life or your health and this pandemic is real. Hope you're well.

13. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

@Rectify

If you want to find posts by a particular member, one way to do that
    is to click that member's Profile, and then click the tab marked "Postings."

That way you could see what that person had posted in threads, without
    having to read through an entire thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. WildCat

WildCat V.I.P Member

Numbers, facts and common sense? Sure, I'll take those. That emotionally laced fear-mongering crap doesn't work on me. There was H1N1 before this, SARS, and (according to Wikipedia) several similar pandemics, so this isn't the first rodeo. Amazing how time flies.

By the way, I'm one of those "essential" folks, working in a grocery store so that the general population has access to food and other necessities. Don't know how many people think lowly of such a job and don't care really, but you can thank us later. Oh, and hats off to the rest of the working population in our hospitals and other roles deemed essential by the government right now for their tireless effort and fearlessness in the face of this situation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. garnetflower13

garnetflower13 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member

17. oregano

oregano Judgment day: 27/9/2021? V.I.P Member

5G cell phone service does have serious issues. However, they have nothing to do with biological viruses, radiation frying your brain/making you infertile, and etc. The real issues with 5G require specialized technical knowledge of radio waves and how they behave, knowledge that most people simply don't have. You can't explain it to them either, since you are starting from zero and they simply don't have the knowledge needed to make sense of the issues with 5G.

People have no idea how their phones work, no idea how the internet works. It reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's statement that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A populace with a reasonable base of knowledge in physics and electronics would never believe that cell phones cause a biological virus.

18. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  19. Nitro

Nitro Admin/Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

As in the words of the Lucas Nelson song, "turn off the news and build a garden"

Too much negative input will only increase your negativity ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Aspergers_Aspie

Aspergers_Aspie Well-Known Member