1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coronavirus and fear mongering.....

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Major Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Your particular scenario involves inherently more exposure to various pathogens in comparison. With a heavy concentration of other human beings in very close proximity that you cannot easily escape from. And people who are coming from all parts of the country converging on a single ship. So it's hard to be philosophical under those circumstances, with or without considerations to COVID-19, whether or not you purchased insurance with preexisting conditions coverage for travel outside the US.

Think of it as a highway robbery. - "Your money or your life".

One you can afford to gamble with, the other not so much. Not really much to debate. Where you must chalk up your loss to unforeseen bad timing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Schism

Schism Well-Known Member

@GadAbout.
    Yup, agree with Judge. You will be a floating, incubating petri dish. I would take the loss, considering your personal circumstances. Current advice is now over 60's avoid crowds! You have cancellation insurance hopefully? This would class as extreme circumstances surely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GadAbout

GadAbout Well-Known Member

I do have cancellation insurance, and the cost of it was tied to the ages of each passenger. I'm just dreading dealing with the insurance company.

Will keep you posted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Schism

Schism Well-Known Member

A relief there, but I don't envy your insurance battle. And such a disappointment as well regarding your holiday. I understand the disappointment there. I do think this is the best choice to make atm, live another day (to holiday). Why put yourself at further risk atm? Holidays should be a stress relief, not a case of stress.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nervous Rex

Nervous Rex High-functioning autistic V.I.P Member

I would bet that they have a lot of people cancelling, and that they understand the reason. You might even be able to call the cruise company directly and get a refund - or reschedule for months or a year later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

Yeah I have a colleague who has cancelled their cruise too, not worth the risk when his wife has COPD. He said their travel agency allowed them to reschedule to next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. GadAbout

This was kind of the last hurrah though, for my husband with dementia. I felt I could manage him on a cruise the way he is now. A year from now? Uncertain.

Thanks for suggestions, guys.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  8. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

My thoughts exactly. Last week I read an article about how little testing is actually being done in the US - in part because the test kits from the CDC are defective so testing has to be sent back to a lab, which takes several days. Basically, if you present with flu-like symptoms, and you haven't traveled, or been in close contact with someone who has traveled or been diagnosed, they don't bother to test.

Not to mention most cases, from what I've read, produce symptoms much milder than the common flu. I've heard it described as "a mild cold". Not something most people would seek treatment for or even think about. Even if they do seek treatment, there's a high probability (in the US at least) that they won't be tested for COVID-19.

The cases which are identified are identified because a) symptoms are severe enough that someone seeks treatment b) people are sought out and tested because they're part of a quarantine group or suspect community.

I read a few days ago that researchers in Singapore have created a test that can detect antibodies, so that they can tell if someone HAD novel coronavirus but was not identified at the time of infection. If such testing becomes widespread, we'll see a different story I'm sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

You may be able to get a trip postponement for less than a year. Ask them if you can have open dates so you can select when you want to go. The rate of corona virus infections will taper off like these things always do.

Personally, if it were my husband and me, we'd take the trip as planned. We're in our 60s, too. I'd be more concerned about norovirus on cruise ships than corona virus. We don't take cruises (I get seasick and claustrophobic on ships, and hate being forced to socialize with fellow travelers whom I did not choose) and prefer to fly to our destinations. I play a game with myself in airports and planes - I try to never touch anything in an airport, wash my hands frequently, and use a disinfecting wipe to clean my seat, the seat belt, the armrests and the tray before I put on my seatbelt.

10. GadAbout

Things are looking up on the refund front. In under 24 hours I found out what I needed to do (doctor's letter advising against travel), requested letter, got letter. I think we'll probably end up with 100% of fee refunded! (not counting the cost of the insurance - they don't refund that!)

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  11. GadAbout

My husband sailed all over the world in the Navy as a young man. We've gone on one other cruise and he really loved it. I'm disappointed to not give him this, but when I hear about passengers being quarantined for weeks on a ship and questionable how excellent their medical care was, I don't want to take the chance. He agrees.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mary Terry

That is a wonderful gift to your husband. I hope you can schedule a voyage for him soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Judge

14. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm not afraid of GETTING coronavirus on a cruise ship, I'm afraid of being STUCK on a cruise ship for months like the last botched quarantine. Everyone got sick because they were held hostage on a ship with a closed air system.

If they didn't have such a bad history of holding people captive on ships instead of doing something reasonable, like moving them to an appropriate facility or taking them to home quarantine, I'd have a less dim view. Right now it's "we have no idea how long this cruise is going to last. Maybe the two weeks you scheduled, maybe a month or two and a global news story."

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Judge

We just got our first person to test positive for COVID-19 locally. The good news is that this is only one of two persons to test positive so far in Nevada. However the bad news is that the person in question (in self-quarantine) has a child in their household who attends an elementary school in South Reno. The school in question has been closed as a result of an increased number of students with influenza-like symptoms..

Apparently this man in his 50s was traced back to the Grand Princess cruise ship outbreak.

Health Officials Confirm Presumptive Case Of Coronavirus In Washoe County, Huffaker Elementary Closed Friday

16. AloneNotLonely

AloneNotLonely Well-Known Member

Yes, genius. Come home from a cruise in the middle of an epidemic and pretend like nothing happened so your kid can spread it around at school.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

What's really weird about the virus is that some people who recover and appear to improve are released and sent home. Then end up returning with similar symptoms again.
    It seems to mutate within the body and self-replicate over and over and return in a slightly different form each time. Scientists have indicated that they have found two slightly different strains now, it appears there will be more.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mary Terry

Also, people can get the same virus repeatedly, such as strept throat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Voltaic

Voltaic Most likely a real person

20. Judge

"Uncharted Territory". Global markets in steep decline based largely on the spread of the coronavirus.

In essence at this very moment, this contagion has driven our primary stock markets down by as much as almost six percent only in the last two hours. Gold is at a seven year high while oil is plummeting. Panic selling that set off the market's "circuit breakers" to halt trading temporarily.

Clearly Wall Street isn't listening to Donald Trump any more. But then I don't think the Wharton School of Business ever really covered the impact of a potential pandemic on modern global markets.

One where the probability of an effective vaccine may not arrive for another year or more according to Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Stock market today: News, data and summary - MSN Money

Now for the good news:

Subsequently the entire school's students and administrators have been formally tested and all received negative results. The school was cleaned and sanitized, and the school has reopened accordingly.

Addentum: A few hours later and the DOW is down over 2,000 points. An 8% loss over four and a half hours.

Senators Doug Collins and Ted Cruze has self-quarantined themselves due to exposure to someone found to be coronavirus-positive at a CPAC conference.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020