• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Copying people

kiramonopoly

Hey. Something I've noticed that I do is when I'm around other people, I start to act like them. People I like. If I'm with friends or peers I enjoy being around, I start to act like them and talk like them. But when I go away from them, I usually stop and sortof act like myself again.
An example would be my friend Jacob. I like him alot, and when he talks, he's very animated and pushes people alot and makes funny faces and is very popular and friendly and has lots of friends.
I work with him Probably 4 days out of the week, and I do the same things he does when I talk to people. I push people and smack them and tease with sarcasm and such.
But it's not just Jacob, it's lots of people.

When I'm around people I don't like, it makes me worse hahaa. I usually tap alot or something else I've een doing alot is making a high pitched 'brrrrrrrrbbb' noise when I don't know what to say. Which is probably annoying to people, I mean, it would annoy ME, but whatever.
Do you 'officially diagnosed aspies' do this sometimes?

I find that I pick up on some people's mannerisms if I'm comfortable enough around them.

I know autistic people in Singapore who, despite their linguistic environment, speak in a strong British and/or American accent. Just a few cents...

I also know an autistic person who just echoes a teacher's speech, and got reprimanded by a teacher...

Last edited:
My son speaks with a strong American accent, despite having lived in Indonesia and Thailand all of his life and never having attended an international school with American kids.

I'm pretty sure he picked it up from watching Disney Playhouse Channel when he was younger.

That could be a reason... I know people who speak with a British accent despite never setting foot in Britain! Including both autistic people and NTs.

But I think it's just like a Caucasian Korean person speaking in a standard news-cast-like posh accent...

Echolalia (copying speech):
Echolalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Echopraxia (copying movements):
Echopraxia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, it is related to aspergers and autism.

Interesting links, thanks for sharing.

I would sometimes copy my friends when I am around them. Usually this would just be copying a catchphrase, word or a sound that they made up (mainly randomness) but I wouldn't directly repeat anything else and this would be completely voluntary.

In year 10 at school I had a Scottish maths teacher, and after one lesson people began to point out to me that I was speaking with a Scottish accent (despite being Welsh). I wasn't even aware I was doing it but it was quite difficult to stop myself, especially since people pointed it out to me.

I do tend to copy people, although not very overtly. I usually pick up a phrase and just repeat it over and over. For instance, my boyfriend had taped some episodes of one of my favourite TV shows and before the show, the channel aired some children's TV that would end with an owl flying away, saying, "See you in the morning!" So I started repeating that phrase over and over. It wasn't anything deliberate; I just felt this compulsion to repeatedly say the phrase.

I remember another time back in high school when I was in drama class [everyone had to take drama classes, for some reason], where we had to act angry at a partner. I found myself repeating, word for word, gesture for gesture, someone next to me. I even got the same voice tone. Received plenty of strange stares for that...

This has been pointed out to me several times in my life. I also find the more I try to pay attention to it and not copy people the more I end up being noticed doing it. I also catch myself using many movie and TV show catch phrases in almost all of my conversations. Most people find it amusing and I found it odd but somewhat entertaining myself, until I found out about AS and that it is a common AS trait. I'm now a bit self conscious about it. I find I do it more when I'm excited and/or relaxed...so I now try to filter myself and pay more attention to what and how I'm about to say something so as to not mimic the person or come off as immature by quoting too many fictional characters.

I do the same thing! When I hear something-anything-tv, someone talking, even things I read-I repeat them, usually quietly or mumbling.

I repeat movies and tv shows ALL THE TIME. It's kindof something my whole family does. But my cousin was the first person to tell me she thinks, "Its kinda weird the way you copy movies all the time..." I was surprised because I didn't really think anything of it.

People often think I am British. I'm not sure exactly why that is. Do I have an accent of sorts or is it my demeanor? I do adore all things British, so perhaps I have absorbed something from the culture, overall. Not sure.

People often think I am British. I'm not sure exactly why that is. Do I have an accent of sorts or is it my demeanor? I do adore all things British, so perhaps I have absorbed something from the culture, overall. Not sure.

One thing for sure, NeverEnder, we are our unique selves. We have our influences, but we are all unique, not just limited to one nationality or so on.

New Threads

Top Bottom