• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping with being socially awkward

savi83

Hi everybody,

I have been in my new job for five months now. I am still in training at the moment with another 24 trainees.

So far I have been able to cope with social situations and engage in a little bit of small talk. I also have a dark sense of humor which you either love or hate. I have found myself becoming more withdrawn from the others, especially if their topic of conversation moves away from work. My trainer has picked up on it in my recent one-to-one and said that I need to "relax and switch off from work". I am there to work, and I enjoy it.

I am looking forward to leaving training next month, we will be split up all over the county and I will be working in a much smaller group. Usually with only one or two others.

Although I prefer to spend time by myself I don't want to be labelled as "the socially awkward one" before I go to my new office.

Does anyone have any advice/tips?

It's always gonna happen. Period. I don't say anything amiss and I get called out all the time. Limit your social interactions with people you don't know and don't stress about it. Don't worry about other people's perceptions, period. They don't understand. You are the designated target for everyone else and you always will be.

Don't worry about it. Instead, just focus on doing a good job. Over a period of many years, you will get better about small talk and these superficial relationships everyone has at work. But this shouldn't be a source of worry or self-doubt.

Continue to work hard and don't fret too much if you don't join in large group conversations. As you said - in time the groups will be smaller. I'm much happier in 2 or 3 people groups as it's a nicer dynamic. Less variables when it comes to personalities and conversation etc.

If the matter is brought up again before the groups split up, you could assure them you're doing ok, and are looking forward to working in a smaller group where you feel more comfortable? Big groups of people aren't for everyone. They can be sensory overload and it's not a pleasant environment for some people.

Ed

Gotta love a dark sense of humour. Nothing wrong with that ☺. Just sit quietly until you sense someone who gets it. There will always be someone.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom