• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping with Anxiety

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
1) If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing badly (don’t be a perfectionist).
2) Forgive yourself (give yourself some grace rather than constant criticism).
3) Schedule a time for worry (not sure it was in this version of the talk).
4) Do something for someone else.

Olivia Remes: How to cope with anxiety
How to cope with anxiety

Last edited:
I employed tactic #4 recently, to allay anxiety over an unresolved medical issue.
I figured I could make a couple cats happier.
So I took a package of mackerel to one and the next day took a bundle of
catnip to two others. These cats don't live with me. They have their
own people.

How to cope with anxiety
I just started to laugh when I saw schedule a time for worry

How to cope with anxiety
All of these are good antidotes to depression, too. They derive from cognitive-behavioral therapies.

1. Perfect is the enemy of good.
2. Forgiveness is a wonderful quality to cultivate. My husband has dementia. I've had to say to him repeatedly, as he fails one challenge after another, "That's okay, honey." The bonus of this is, I also forgive my own failings. These will increase as I age, so it's a good thing I'm working on the right attitude.
3. What the above didn't say is, "postpone worrying until the scheduled time." Surprisingly, you can gain some control over worrying.
4. Doing something for someone else is an absolutely wonderful technique for low self-esteem, depression, anxiety. Sometimes we need to get outside ourselves a bit.

Imperfection is perfection...

The Japanese have 'Kintsugi'

The repairing of broken or damaged ceramics, for example, would have the cracks, flaws, damage inlaid with gold, silver or platinum by artisans.

The imperfections being valued and accepted as part of the objects history.

There's also 'wabi sabi'
beauty in something that is imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.

I have heard about scheduling a time for worry.

I believe the concept was a specified time during the day whereby a precise amount of time was allocated to writing down concerns,
and possible solutions.

For example,
at 6pm every day the worrier allowed themselves 30 minutes (no more) to list every worry they could think of in that time,
They then allowed themselves a further 15 - 20 minutes to go through that same list and note down ideas and possible actions to bring about resolutions.
If done daily some progress could be made.

During the day they wouldn't ruminate on worries, they would delay it until their daily allocated time.

New Threads

Top Bottom