• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping better with noisy enviroments

artfull dodger

I am learning that even at events where I am really enjoying myself that to much noise, even if it is not painful for me, can and does leave me exhausted afterwards. Yesterday I went to my most favorite event, a large model train show. Packed with familys and loud kids, everybody talking loudly, kids screaming and being typical loud kids. But this time, I wore my ear muff hearing protection that I also wear at work. Afterwards I felt much less stressed, my anxiety was not sky high and I was able to stay up later that night watching TV as I was not as tired as I would have been. I got a few looks and stares and some that knew why I had them on, even if they didn't see the autism shirt I was wearing. I can still hear conversation with them on, better than without as it dulls down the overwhelming background noise. I was at a table when a young boy pointed at my head/ear muffs(which have autism awareness decals on them) and his mother told him that I was autistic and that the noise was to loud for me in there and that was why I was wearing them. Then I saw a young man that was on the spectrum, he had a set of noise canceling ear muffs on, we made brief eye contact and kind of nodded to each other. Knowing that each other were on the spectrum. Mike

I'm glad you are getting better at handling noise. It's a shame people point and stare. It's cool you put autism awareness decals on your ear muffs. I never thought of doing that myself, I may have to consider it.

I love it! I am also learning just how much sensory input, even enjoyable sensory input, wears out my brain.

I used to hate the noise when I was younger, but as I got older I tried different methods to try and cope with it. The one method I tried is chewing gum when going out somewhere where it’s noisy. It helps keep me focused on the gum rather than the noise itself.

New Threads

Top Bottom