• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping: A Survival Guide for People with Asperger Syndrome

This is a fabulous resource. I found a cheap copy of the book to keep on hand to lend to anyone who might be receptive to understanding me and Asperger Syndrome. THANK YOU for posting this information!!!!!!!

Copied & pasted the following from Emya's link:

"These pages are a copy of the book, 'Coping: A Survival Guide for People with Asperger Syndrome' by Marc Segar. This is a valuable piece of writing which is worthy of as wide a readership as possible - which is why we have put it on the web. The book can be obtained from the address below, to which any enquiries should be directed:

The Early Years Diagnostic Centre
272 Longdale Lane
Ravenshead
Nottinghamshire
England
NG15 9AH

Phone: +44 (0) 1623 490879
Fax: +44 (0) 1623 794746

Transferral to the web was undertaken by Alistair Edwards, University of York and thanks are due to Pauline Greenhough for her typing.

The whole guide is also available in different formats

The latter two are available courtesy of David Deley.

Contents
Translations
I believe that there have been a number of translations of the book into other languages. As I find our more about them I will list them here

As noted, free copies of this 29 page manual are available in several formats in order to share it with "as wide a readership as possible". I It looks like a great resource with much useful & practical guidance.

What a great find Emya!

I just followed Tia's link for the free PDF, read it and it is a good book, concise and informative.

This is Marc Segars' explanation, at the end of the book, of Autism.

"Autistic people have to understand scientifically what non-autistic people already understand instinctively."

I've lost count of the number of times I've said almost these very words to people (I would say consciously, rather than scientifically) and, as simple as it is, I'm amazed that they still struggle to appreciate it, probably as it's outside their experience.

I just followed Tia's link for the free PDF, read it and it is a good book, concise and informative.

This is Marc Segars' explanation, at the end of the book, of Autism.

"Autistic people have to understand scientifically what non-autistic people already understand instinctively."

I've lost count of the number of times I've said almost these very words to people (I would say consciously, rather than scientifically) and, as simple as it is, I'm amazed that they still struggle to appreciate it, probably as it's outside their experience.

Spiller, I can really relate to that statement also. I think it perfectly sums up how I process and understand things.

I say that I have to process the interaction cognitively, whereas most people do it intuitively. And I explain that I have a whole database of algorithms for how to act and handle specific situations, but if my algorithms are wrong, or if I use the wrong ones, or if I just can't implement them well on a particular day, then my whole facade falls apart...which it's been doing a lot lately.

#tired

Spiller, I can really relate to that statement also. I think it perfectly sums up how I process and understand things.

I say that I have to process the interaction cognitively, whereas most people do it intuitively. And I explain that I have a whole database of algorithms for how to act and handle specific situations, but if my algorithms are wrong, or if I use the wrong ones, or if I just can't implement them well on a particular day, then my whole facade falls apart...which it's been doing a lot lately.

#tired

I work similarly with a series of flow charts for different situations (I also post-process each interaction over the next few days to see if my procedures need any tweaking based on new information).
I do often wish I had a pause button so I could stop the world for a moment and process on the spot <sigh>..

New Threads

Top Bottom