• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Conversations

Sev

Of course everything that follows this statement is purely my opinion, and suggestion - people's opinions on the matter may differ significantly or not at all. Good disclaimer? :)

Anyways, I find the conversation system on AC to be lacking a bit. Is it possible to integrate instant-messaging (as found in the public chat tab) except at a private basis for conversations or have something similar as an option?

Sev

I do like the idea, however...

I wouldn't want it to be intrusive. Right now we have the chat and the private messaging system, both things which I can choose to respond to when I feel like it. There's little pressure to join the chat and there's no pressure at all to respond to a private message.

I like to take my time when someone sends me a message and wants me to respond (and even more so when it's regarding moderating duties). Having a instant messaging system will increase such pressure tenfold I suspect. Perhaps it's the nature of slow communication that appeals to me as well here. Writing a multi-paragraph response and sending it out waiting for a well-written response gets more of sentiment than rapid exhange of single sentences, which often is the nature of IM communication.

On the other hand, for some small talk between members an IM function would be nice. Though I guess, people who trust each other well enough could also exchange skype, facebook or any other service for IM purposes. And with that you're also not limited to any form of AC code of conduct/rules. But hey, just a suggestion :)

So I'm slightly mixed about this, since I can see more benefit from it, though I can also see some issues that might (and will) arise.

I do like the idea, however...

I wouldn't want it to be intrusive. Right now we have the chat and the private messaging system, both things which I can choose to respond to when I feel like it. There's little pressure to join the chat and there's no pressure at all to respond to a private message.

I like to take my time when someone sends me a message and wants me to respond (and even more so when it's regarding moderating duties). Having a instant messaging system will increase such pressure tenfold I suspect. Perhaps it's the nature of slow communication that appeals to me as well here. Writing a multi-paragraph response and sending it out waiting for a well-written response gets more of sentiment than rapid exhange of single sentences, which often is the nature of IM communication.

On the other hand, for some small talk between members an IM function would be nice. Though I guess, people who trust each other well enough could also exchange skype, facebook or any other service for IM purposes. And with that you're also not limited to any form of AC code of conduct/rules. But hey, just a suggestion :)

So I'm slightly mixed about this, since I can see more benefit from it, though I can also see some issues that might (and will) arise.
Many good thoughts here.

I made friends with someone on here and we exchanged phone #'s and text message. It started out as emailing, but like I've said before, emailing is very cold to me. Me being most likely an NT, thinking back that must have been a big move for them, but I really appreciate it. Just a thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom