• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Construction/Plumbing help needed!

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Over the past 2 weeks, the bathroom floor has become saggy and spongy, and now there is a very warm feeling under the floor. It is so spongy that as a person walks across the bathroom floor you hear the toilet or the bathtub make a little popping sound. I strongly believe it is a leak.

I live in an apartment that is over 50 years old, and the manager hasn't responded to my maintenance requests.

I live on a bottom floor with a crawl space underneath. Wooden supports.

What problem could it be, and what work would it entail? Will my water be shut off for a long time? Will the floor be cut open? How long will the floor be open for? Will rats be able to come up out of the crawl space?

I'm wheelchair bound and any heavy duty repairs will greatly impact me. Please explain what I have to look forward to.

Also, the management is offsite. How do I get them to pay attention to this? I don't want to fall through the floor one day while I'm "powdering my nose".

Last edited:
..so it's a wooden floor? or chipboard?

ground floor - you won't have far to fall if it's rot, but uh the warm thing could be electrical?
'

..so it's a wooden floor? or chipboard?

ground floor - you won't have far to fall if it's rot, but uh the warm thing could be electrical?
'
Vinyl floor with plywood and wooden joists under that. I'm not very savvy on construction lingo, but I hope that makes sense.

yeah that's clear. Sounds like the plywood's rotten - might be a leak from your bathroom. How you get management to respond I don't know, just keep nagging, tell them it's urgent!!! That you're in a chair and would struggle if the floor collapsed. Do it in an email and stress how many times you've called to no avail, (cos if something happens you need proof they ignored an emergency, for your lawsuit!)

The joists might be fine, it's just the plywood, so uh maybe if you have some board you can put over the top, just for an emergency fix? I know it's a hassle in a chair, but might keep you from falling thru.

Last edited:
Been there, done that,...twice. Two different homes.

Case #1, it was a leaking tub seal. Water was seeping from the edge of the tub, down the wall behind the tub, and onto the plywood floor underneath the tub. The tub was steel, so we didn't notice it until it got bad enough to damage the flooring around the tub. It was just enough to have the wood soak up the water, soften the wood, but not enough to drip or stain the drywall ceiling on the lower floor. It had been bad for years, I suspect.

Case #2, it was a leaking wax "O-ring" under the toilet. The toilet was beginning to wobble and there was a "funky smell" in the bathroom. A bit less of a job, but still had to replace a big chunk of plywood flooring.

Basically, with a professional crew, it will take at least a few days to tear out, repair the structure, and do finish work.

If the leak is found, they could probably run a dehumidifier and dry the place out unless it’s been wet for years.

I Have always fixed this stuff my self even when I lived in an apartment many years ago my dad was very handy built his own houses no contractor taught us well.

I don't know where you live but in the U.S. specifically NYS apartment owners have to adhere to codes. You could call the city/town/village code enforcement officer and tell them what is happening. Then there is the mold issue...................

With the warm floor, it could be indicative of what's called a "slab leak". Apart from looking for leaks around the tub, sink and toilet it could involve pipes in the sub flooring. But as mentioned above, the most critical consideration of such damage is the mold that ensues. Sounds like a time-sensitive situation involving extensive amounts of time to repair that may ultimately require relocation. Sorry, but from what you've posted it sounds well...bad from a tenant's perspective.

Here's a good explanation of what to look for:

7 Signs You Have a Slab Leak | George Brazil® Plumbing & Electrical | Phoenix, AZ

This link addresses a tenant's potential legal issues and options from the perspective of the Oregon State Bar:

Getting Repairs Made

Last edited:
yeah that's clear. Sounds like the plywood's rotten - might be a leak from your bathroom. How you get management to respond I don't know, just keep nagging, tell them it's urgent!!! That you're in a chair and would struggle if the floor collapsed. Do it in an email and stress how many times you've called to no avail, (cos if something happens you need proof they ignored an emergency, for your lawsuit!)

The joists might be fine, it's just the plywood, so uh maybe if you have some board you can put over the top, just for an emergency fix? I know it's a hassle in a chair, but might keep you from falling thru.
You may have luck getting your zoning administrator and local building inspector involved, and if management won't act let on that is your next move. I would be surprised if there is not a code violation you are experiencing there.

I agree, if no response, you have to call whoever approves the rentals. It's a county office usually. Because your landlord is ignoring you. Your other option, make up excuse and move to different unit.

Maintenance guy came. He crawled under the house and saw no water leak. Supports all strong. It is just an old saggy house I guess. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom