• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Constantly over thinking !

nowhereman

Anyone use any alternative medicines that would help with my constant overthinking ? I have been giving anti depressants,anxiexty type pills in the past by a GP,but stopped taking them because of horrendous side affects. I just wish my brain would shut the hell up and leave me alone for a wee while. Fed up analyzing things over and over again.

I have tried things like

Valerian,
Omega 3,
5HTTP. but to no avail and im tired now because of it.

I should say in the past couple of months, my girlfriend and i split up,and i am constantly analyzing why we did,who's to blame etc. I know its for the best so why cant i just move on quietly instead of this constant torture. I am like this for most situations to be honest,just using the ex example as its the one thats going round and round in my head at the moment.

I have read that both yoga and meditation can help to "quiet the mind".

It sounds familiar Nowhereman, but I tend to pick up hobbies and interests to keep my mind occupied. This might sound easier than it is though

Thanks for replying guys, i am trying to find some interests to keep me occupied, but tend to get bored of things very easily. But will keep trying. As for the meditation,would you have any decent links to some info on this ?

There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that meditation can help alleviate the anxiety that Aspies experience. I Googled "meditation Aspergers" and found several sites easily. Mindfulness meditation, as mentioned by Divrom, seems to be well-respected.

Thanks Divrom will check this stuff out tonight after i get some dinner. I just downloaded some audio stuff called Guided Mindfulness Meditation
by Jon Kabat-Zinn also so i have plenty to focus on, which in turn will stop me thinking of my problems. I feel better already lol

You are not alone in this struggle over constantly over thinking and anaylzing what went wrong. I don't think we ever get over it completely but we do find ways to try to help ourselves. I often write a letter pouring it all out and then burning it or ripping it up. I might do this several times before I feel like I am done with the emotions that have been plaguing me over a situation. I find it often hard to relax about things too but maybe read before bed...or find something distracting to allow yourself the ability to distance a least for a little while.

I dunno about alternative medicine. I used to take generic zoloft, which kept my thoughts from racing so much, but I'm quitting because it makes me feel dull and I'd rather have the racing thoughts to be honest. But um, it seems like all these suggestions of yoga, meditation, music, and all that are good. They usually work for me. Sometimes I just have to close my eyes and breathe, and kind of let the thoughts run around for a little bit and instead of trying to change them, just kind of observe them and let them do their own thing for a while until they calm down. It's kind of like babysitting, where sometimes you just have to let the kids run around screaming for a minute until they use up all their energy. But maybe that's just me.

I am like this as well.

One thing that helps is a med called Klonopin - It regulates the electrical signals in the brain and slows them down.

I also use prayer and occasionally meditation to quiet my mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom