• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Considering Becoming a Mute

Riley

Recent events have me considering the option of becoming a mute of the selective variety. However that works.

As far as I see it, I can avoid fighting with my Mom ever again. I won't have to apologize for anything anymore. I see only benefits at the moment. Mostly due to the fact I got a...Different response than what I hoped for when I casually disrespected my Mom. I always expect her to not get mad when I disrespect her in a casual tone/manner.

I'm inclined to think that selective mutism has certain advantages much as does selective isolation.

Though be aware that Neurotypical mindsets and medical professionals may well wag their fingers in harsh disagreement. Without understanding on a very personal level how difficult it can be for Neurodiverse people to navigate the Neurotypical world with minimal social conflicts.

IMO sometimes these reflect the best strategies to minimize misunderstandings. That the less said, the better. Something I suspect most of this audience can relate to.

I think that selective mutism is an axiety disorder and those who have it don't choose who to be mute to, their anxiety chooses it for them. However, you can choose to speak to someone, or not to speak to someone as the case might be.

I have selective mutism and it's not something you can control - I hate it. It just happens when I least want it to. So I don't think you could use that terminology, but I suppose you could choose who you speak to, but doesn't everyone?

I have selective mutism and it's not something you can control - I hate it. It just happens when I least want it to. So I don't think you could use that terminology, but I suppose you could choose who you speak to, but doesn't everyone?

That stands to reason. An involuntary response that isn't really "selective" at all.

Last edited:
That stands to reason. An involuntary response that it isn't really "selective" at all.
That's true... perhaps they should change the name of the condition, as you said, the current one makes it sound like a choice. Maybe "partial mutism" would be better.

I thought about trying to go mute before. A couple times I tried taping my mouth shut around the house to remind me not to speak. So often it seems like speaking does more harm than good. I don't have any answers for you. Just saying you're not alone.

I've definitely considered a "vow of silence" before. Reminds me of Silent Bob of the Jay and Silent Bob fame.

I figured I'd do it more in the spirit of protest. Like, just because I can speak, I'm treated like everything's just A-OK and that I have no excuse for having social deficits (excuse, reason, whatever, same thing).

Only reason I haven't is because I really don't think anyone would cut me any slack if I simply started refusing to communicate. It's an unfortunate reality that I need to make the correct noises at the correct people to survive in this world.

If you do decide to become a mute. Just remember to paint your face white so we all know.

Sorry to hear that
Recent events have me considering the option of becoming a mute of the selective variety. However that works.

As far as I see it, I can avoid fighting with my Mom ever again. I won't have to apologize for anything anymore. I see only benefits at the moment. Mostly due to the fact I got a...Different response than what I hoped for when I casually disrespected my Mom. I always expect her to not get mad when I disrespect her in a casual tone/manner.
Im the exact same. I expect people not to be upset, when I casually disrespect them, because I want them to do it to me too...like in a fun/friendly correctional teasing way... but some people are just shallow, and we need to learn how to live/work around them... I want you to not be so honest, disrespectful...but to learn how to be more manipulative, of the situation...but in a good way...a way that protects you...by understanding them... knowing how to approach them...what they dont like...

One day when you are older, I promise you things will be way more awesome in your favour...but for the next few years...learn how to be...supportive in a manner, that helps make them like you...and not be upset at you

New Threads

Top Bottom