• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Connecting with People

savi83

Hi everybody,

I have always had a really small circle, which only consisted of close family relatives.

When I was young I didn't mix with the other kids outside of school, apart from when my parents forced me to go to the birthday parties of kids in my class.

I just preferred my own company.

As I've grown older I have managed to make a close friend who is now my girlfriend (which I believe to be a fluke) as I don't seem to be able to connect with other people.

I generally feel uncomfortable around people. Some issues that they feel are important, seem really silly to me. I don't seem to be able to find a middle ground with people.

I've tried to join in conversion but I feel do fake and awkward.

Does anyone have any tips in building relationships?

Hi everybody,

I have always had a really small circle, which only consisted of close family relatives.

When I was young I didn't mix with the other kids outside of school, apart from when my parents forced me to go to the birthday parties of kids in my class.

I just preferred my own company.

As I've grown older I have managed to make a close friend who is now my girlfriend (which I believe to be a fluke) as I don't seem to be able to connect with other people.

I generally feel uncomfortable around people. Some issues that they feel are important, seem really silly to me. I don't seem to be able to find a middle ground with people.

I've tried to join in conversion but I feel do fake and awkward.

Does anyone have any tips in building relationships?
Be friendly ,let them talk about themselves !but not the whole time ! don't talk about what you are interested in for your part of the conversation for longer than a few minutes unless they are interested in it themselves .
Part of being a friend is helping them if you can and if they need it.
Do what you can do !if for instance they would like to go to a restaurant and that is too stressful for you suggest somewhere like a public park or a very small cafe .

I have always had a really small circle, which only consisted of close family relatives
This is how I've always been.
I didn't have siblings or care about being friends with other kids growing up.

Now that small circle is gone and I still don't feel connected to people.
I can care for and find a few I even like, but, no matter who I am with there is still that empty feeling inside.
Interacting with others still leaves me feeling alone and the relationships seem fake and shallow.

I think Streetwise has some good points in building relationships.
But, I don't know how to feel connected.
And I don't know how to feel fulfilled alone either.
It all comes back to wanting that unconditional love that can be trusted.
And as @Sabrina said, I only found that from my parents.

New Threads

Top Bottom