• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Confused is more so...

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
Hello all,
I had been given an adult diagnosis of Aspergers years ago and as I gathered information it felt more and more like finding pieces that fit into the 11 billion piece jigsaw that I had been struggling with.
It was terrific to put a face on my whole situation, but then I wanted to talk to people like me cause I felt that they would get it... and that was years ago and I'm still in my shell. But, today I stumbled upon this site today and had a personal battle as to wether to join up or not, what put me off is this line "When you post, submit or transmit information to Aspies Central, you automatically grant us a lifetime royalty-free license to publish that information". This is not something I feel should be used in relation to someone in the situation i'm in. I must have a different form of Aspergers than everybody else?

Well, Hello to me too? (Who's this drongo)

Anyway, I have signed up and may decide to write later, maybe people can tell me how they feel about that rule in the meantime.

I really just want to say thanks as I read what you write and it does help!

Welcome to AspieCentral

Perhaps a mod or the owner of this board can shed a bit more light on the subject regarding that line in the agreement, however I don't think you should put that much weight on it. I feel it's more of a way to make sure stuff doesn't get ugly if a member on the board treatens with "legal issues" over something he posted.

Although if you are weary about that line, you could obviously put more thought in what you post where on this board. Can't see anyone doing something that worthwhile with the information about how I felt last week for instance, yet I can see where there might be an issue if you post a drawing you made and still claim it as "yours" as well as a copyright issue to said image.

But like I said, that's a bit how I treat a line like that in an agreement on a forum, perhaps others who have a bit more to say around here might elaborate on it a bit more (if neccesary).

Welcome to the forums.

But, today I stumbled upon this site today and had a personal battle as to wether to join up or not, what put me off is this line "When you post, submit or transmit information to Aspies Central, you automatically grant us a lifetime royalty-free license to publish that information". This is not something I feel should be used in relation to someone in the situation i'm in. I must have a different form of Aspergers than everybody else?

As King_Oni has said, that line is just a safeguard and you should not be worried about it. Basically, it means that we are not obligated to remove anything that you post on this site. Sometimes when drama occurs or a member has been banned, they might demand that we delete all of their posts as a way to get back at us. That line prevents this from happening as the mass-removal of information/posts can hurt the forums in terms of search-engine rankings and cause confusion within threads if many posts are suddenly missing. The rule does not mean that anything you post here will be published outside of the forums. Again, it is only a safeguard in the off-chance that someone demands we mass-delete their contributions to the forums.

Hopefully that makes it clearer.

As someone who attempted (and failed) to pursue a career as a writer, I think I can explain what Aspies Central means by this. Basically, they (as publisher) are not obligated to pay you a royalty for your work. They also retain a certain amount of control over your work, which is what publishers do. Now, I am no expert in copyright law, but it is my understanding that if you submit something to an Internet forum, it becomes the property of the forum administrators. (If there is someone out there who is more up to date on these things, please don't hesitate to correct me).

Therefore, if you intend to make money off of your writing (which most of us here, including myself, don't), then it is probably best not to post anything here that you intend to use in the future, for example if you wish to write an article and you want to get paid for it, don't publish it here and then try to submit the exact same article elsewhere. You may end up in a copyright mess.

Furthermore, as my supervisors are very fond of saying, the Internet is a public forum with no privacy, and therefore one should be very careful about what one does post. If there are sensitive elements to your posts that may cause pain and hardship (or even potential legal troubles!) down the road, then don't post those details on-line or if you do, do so in a manner that no one can easily trace back to you. You never know who might be reading your posts. That is why when I write my blogs, I seldom identify individuals or places by name. I suppose if someone were so inclined they could connect the dots and figure out who I am and what I am writing about. So I have to be careful. I feel somewhat safe on Aspies Central as it is not widely read outside the autism community, but one never knows.

But I really don't think in general that you have much to be worried about. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and thanks also for your reassurances, I spose I probably am a little paranoid but for my money the internet is even more confusing than the real world, cause at least you can get an idea of what you did to bother someone in the flesh. The internet is so cold and (usually) fake in my opinion. But perhaps I am just being cynical now as well as paranoid ;]

How about I take my foot out of my mouth and set it down, now if I put the best one of the two forward and start again...

Hi to everybody in here, out there?!? I live in Australia and I have been given an adult diagnosis of Aspergers.
I had an accident that stemmed from me accidentally and literally, putting my self in harms way so as not to "Be a bother", this was when we found out about my condition. I went ahead and discovered more and more information and identified more and more with the whole thing but, I then went from not having a life and wondering why to not having a life and wondering what I did "Aspergically" to stuff it up.
I, of course, wanted to keep it a secret initially but, suffering from terminal honesty, would tell a prospective employer, friend, partner all about it. I wonder if I talk too much?

I may be able to bring myself to write more here later and perhaps reply to some of the things others have said, as I get more comfortable it will become easier I am hoping.

I just cant get over so many people like me and yet you all seem so normal to me, talking away and having a good old time and letting it all hang out, I have had many a long year of valiantly trying to train myself to appear "normal" and still I feel as though I come up woefully short and in times of stress, painfully so. Hopefully this will be revealing and cathartic to me and I will benefit from your collective experiences ;]

talk to you all again later

Dear Gomendosi,

Yes, the internet can be a confusing (and sometimes mean) place, but thank God for it. When I was growing up they didn't call it autism, they didn't call it aspergers, they didn't even call it PDD-NOS. All anyone knew is that I was a child with problems and nobody knew quite what to do except drug me into submission. There was no Internet, no safe place to go to, no one to talk to.

My problem was the elephant in the living room nobody wants to talk about. So I had to pretend (in fact I am still pretending) to be normal. When you say you have had many a long year of valiantly trying to train yourself to appear "normal" and still feel like you come up woefully short, I know exactly what you are talking about. Don't feel like you are a stranger here. You are in good company. Welcome!

Me again!
Getting to know someone is an ongoing process, as I get more used to things I will probably drop back here to add more info because it could help me feel more at ease, and there could be people looking.

I have been learning about forums and as I become more proficient I will be more interactive by default. so, in regard to what you were saying Spinning Compass, when I was a little fella: yeah, nobody knew what the caper was with me, I was classed as "just a pain in the arse", my parents used to throw their hands up and say things like; "his brothers were never this much trouble" or the ever popular "why cant you be like other children your age".
I had no idea I was different! I wondered why everyone wasn?t like me cause I was normal, wasn?t I, if I was told not to touch the cat I would then avoid it like it had the plague, until I got lonely enough to want a cuddle again anyway. Thinking about it now, I may have been taking things too literally. I reckon the spring in my coping mechanism had already been worn down when I was born, I just couldn?t work stuff out, like when it was my turn to do the dishes I could still be there after three hours but, those dishes sparkled!

This whole forums thing is a new one on me though, for years I have found old TV shows and things from the internet and have gotten quite good at that sort of thing but actually talking to people and socializing is a whole different set of challenges. The thing that never ceases to amaze me is how comfortable you all appear doing this, I suppose I will look that way to the next people who join though wont I? It must be the anonymity

WOW, O.K, just finished a post elsewhere and saw that I am up to 65. Man, apparently I wont shut up now, I am also challenging myself at work by talking to everyone who comes in (I'm a salesman) and I have taken it a bit further as I am now trying to talk with people when I go out shoppping or just walking along, it's super, super hard but I reckon its making me more 'normal'. I thank the gods I got this job ; ]

Thanks to everyone here as well, you guys are all great

Hello all,
I had been given an adult diagnosis of Aspergers years ago and as I gathered information it felt more and more like finding pieces that fit into the 11 billion piece jigsaw that I had been struggling with.
It was terrific to put a face on my whole situation, but then I wanted to talk to people like me cause I felt that they would get it... and that was years ago and I'm still in my shell. But, today I stumbled upon this site today and had a personal battle as to wether to join up or not, what put me off is this line "When you post, submit or transmit information to Aspies Central, you automatically grant us a lifetime royalty-free license to publish that information". This is not something I feel should be used in relation to someone in the situation i'm in. I must have a different form of Aspergers than everybody else?

Well, Hello to me too? (Who's this drongo)

Anyway, I have signed up and may decide to write later, maybe people can tell me how they feel about that rule in the meantime.

I really just want to say thanks as I read what you write and it does help!
I think of the term British data protection law in relation to holding what I post and your information being retained,I think it maybe different to European data protection law

New Threads

Top Bottom