• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Concentration difficulties while reading

Apleba

Hi, I have a huge issue with concentration while reading. I can barely concentrate when I read, words do not make sense, I cannot extract the main idea of the text, I feel horribly anxious because of that and finally get a serious mental block which I cannot overcome. This highly affects my work. When I get into 'the zone', it is alright, but the problem is that I cannot get there any more.

I was wondering if anyone else might be experiencing the same and can share some tips, observations, complaints, ideas.

I often have difficulty concentrating too - unless I'm reading something really, really interesting, my mind wanders and just won't stay on it, I get bored and impatient. I think that this is an ADHD trait. I'm not diagnosed with it, but I have some traits. Or I read the words, without taking in the meaning, and have to read again, a kind of brain fog. The medication I take seems to be making it worse.

I've had that many times... It's very difficult to get the point of what is said in some textbooks, especially if the material is dry. To overcome emptily reading, I remind myself the purpose of me reading that thing. What is the information I had come to try to find?

Then, I highlight, copy/paste or manually type out parts that are relevant to the point, to cut out unnecessary words and "fluff" that writers put in to pad out what they're trying to say. Get to the MEAT of what they're writing about. Later, I read the notes that I'd made, even if the overall text didn't necessarily make too much sense at the time as I was unable to concentrate 100%. Because it's more concise, it is easier to follow and is useful for what I am trying to do. If not, I edit it down even further.

That's just how I get around the concentration block. I force myself to sit there and do it even if my mind is wandering off and thinking about something else. The 10% that is looking at the text, is scanning for the key words I'd picked out previously and putting them elsewhere for later.

I have the same problem from ADHD. I had to take medication to be able to do my reading for post-secondary. I have no tips except to deal with any hyperactivity you have before attempting to focus on anything.

i am diagnosed with ADHD and have this exact same issue. i take medication that helps me tremendously for it and has allowed me to keep a job for 4 years now. usually i probably would have been fired by now with out it.

Me too. Never thought reading for long periods of time was easy, no matter what the subject matter.

Too easily distracted. Always made learning complex things a real challenge. :oops:

Hi, I have a huge issue with concentration while reading. I can barely concentrate when I read, words do not make sense, I cannot extract the main idea of the text, I feel horribly anxious because of that and finally get a serious mental block which I cannot overcome. This highly affects my work. When I get into 'the zone', it is alright, but the problem is that I cannot get there any more.

I was wondering if anyone else might be experiencing the same and can share some tips, observations, complaints, ideas.

I get this problems alot (and yes im diagnosed among others Severe ADHD Mild ASD ) As long as its something i truly interested in no problems i can read until my eyes starts to hurt, otherwise (and also when i took my driving licences etc.... ) me and written pretty mush DONT work. Also its not that uncommon with among other NSD diagnosis to have among other side diagnosis Dyslexia (yes i have that as well and this is from my side diagnosis from MBD (explanation in in my Sig )

What helps /helped for me in among other situations when important to understand etc... Is actually i had help (special help with individual VERBAL teaching, or also Verbal aid instead of written . Other ways would be to try to cut up said reading period in to several smaller sessions with break in between of say 10 -15 Minutes.

1. Is this how it's always been?

2. Does this apply to all reading or only particular subjects?

3. Is it different at different times of the day, levels of energy, quality of recent sleep, etc. or is it consistently frustrating?

4. Have you been tested and/or diagnosed with anything attention-related? If so, have you ever taken medication for it?

5. Do you have difficulty concentrating on anything else or is it a problem specific to reading?

6. Do you ever consume caffeine? If so, does it help with this issue?

7. Do you like reading? You probably don't because of this, but if it weren't a problem do you think you would like reading? Are you trying to read for pleasure? If not, have you ever read for pleasure?

I don't like or understand fiction so I avoid it. But even with interesting nonfiction books I do like, I'll continue to read while my mind starts thinking about something else. Before I know it I'm a page or two past anything I remember, and I have to go back and read it again. I don't know if it's ADD or what, I've not been checked for that.

I was just told that I have ADHD. If I am interested in something, I can read about it for hours. If not, I don't last a minute.

I have been this way my whole life and at my age, I do not want to start on a new med if I can avoid it.

It's important to keep in mind that difficulty concentrating is not the only symptom of ADHD or ADD and is also a symptom of countless other things. It's often confusing for people because the title of it is Attention Deficit, but it, like all other disorders, involves many symptoms.

I'll continue to read while my mind starts thinking about something else. Before I know it I'm a page or two past anything I remember, and I have to go back and read it again. I don't know if it's ADD or what, I've not been checked for that.

I have done this quite often. These days, reading will make my eyes water and put me to sleep in a few minutes.

Thank you all for your insights. I see that we share similar experiences. I will try the tips some of you proposed and see how it works!

1. Is this how it's always been?

2. Does this apply to all reading or only particular subjects?

3. Is it different at different times of the day, levels of energy, quality of recent sleep, etc. or is it consistently frustrating?

4. Have you been tested and/or diagnosed with anything attention-related? If so, have you ever taken medication for it?

5. Do you have difficulty concentrating on anything else or is it a problem specific to reading?

6. Do you ever consume caffeine? If so, does it help with this issue?

7. Do you like reading? You probably don't because of this, but if it weren't a problem do you think you would like reading? Are you trying to read for pleasure? If not, have you ever read for pleasure?

In fact, it hasn't always been like this, but it's getting worse and worse since it started some years ago. At first I was a bit more productive in the mornings but now even that is severely hard. It applies to the school things I read, especially more complicated and abstract matters. I noticed, however, that it starts to happen while reading fiction as well, while it has never been like that before. I am also poorly concentrated during lectures and I don't remember a thing if I don't take notes. I have been tested for ADD, apparently I don't have it, but my attention was noticed to be poor in a different way (continuously diminishing while doing tasks). About caffeine, yes, I consume a lot of it out of the habit and I don't feel a thing.

I am thinking that it may be related to anxiety. It's like a circle - cannot concentrate, get anxious, cannot concentrate, get even more anxious... But I feel like there should be the primary cause that comes before this circle was established. Who knows.

In fact, it hasn't always been like this, but it's getting worse and worse since it started some years ago. At first I was a bit more productive in the mornings but now even that is severely hard. It applies to the school things I read, especially more complicated and abstract matters. I noticed, however, that it starts to happen while reading fiction as well, while it has never been like that before. I am also poorly concentrated during lectures and I don't remember a thing if I don't take notes. I have been tested for ADD, apparently I don't have it, but my attention was noticed to be poor in a different way (continuously diminishing while doing tasks). About caffeine, yes, I consume a lot of it out of the habit and I don't feel a thing.

I am thinking that it may be related to anxiety. It's like a circle - cannot concentrate, get anxious, cannot concentrate, get even more anxious... But I feel like there should be the primary cause that comes before this circle was established. Who knows.

Yeah, if the problem starts later in life, it's not ADD or ADHD. I believe ASD involves attention issues, and I've heard many say that ASD symptoms worsen with age.

You're saying that anxiety doesn't start until after you have difficulty concentrating?

The coffee doesn't help at all? If you stopped drinking it, it wouldn't get worse?

Any depression in those recent years?

Any possibility that motivation is decreasing? It sounds like it only affects work-related things, meaning not things like television, socializing, games, waiting in line, everything else in life, etc.

It is possible to be prescribed a medication for attention issues without having ADD or ADHD, if you feel the problem is becoming serious.

Any major life changes or diet changes in the years it's started and progressed?

Yeah, if the problem starts later in life, it's not ADD or ADHD. I believe ASD involves attention issues, and I've heard many say that ASD symptoms worsen with age.

You're saying that anxiety doesn't start until after you have difficulty concentrating?

The coffee doesn't help at all? If you stopped drinking it, it wouldn't get worse?

Any depression in those recent years?

Any possibility that motivation is decreasing? It sounds like it only affects work-related things, meaning not things like television, socializing, games, waiting in line, everything else in life, etc.

It is possible to be prescribed a medication for attention issues without having ADD or ADHD, if you feel the problem is becoming serious.

Any major life changes or diet changes in the years it's started and progressed?

Fino, thank you so much for your questions, they really make me think about this. Indeed, when I think about it, the situation became more severe when I started my degree, which in fact was a major change in my life. In all other spheres the concentration does not seem to be affected. Maybe it is partly related with motivation and (mental) preparation for this occupation. I also just read about 'autistic burnout', it's possible that it's caused by that.

And I didn't know that you can be prescribed medication for that without ADHD diagnosis. I will look into it, thanks!

Fino, thank you so much for your questions, they really make me think about this. Indeed, when I think about it, the situation became more severe when I started my degree, which in fact was a major change in my life. In all other spheres the concentration does not seem to be affected. Maybe it is partly related with motivation and (mental) preparation for this occupation. I also just read about 'autistic burnout', it's possible that it's caused by that.

And I didn't know that you can be prescribed medication for that without ADHD diagnosis. I will look into it, thanks!

Oh, yay! I was worried I was becoming obnoxious, so thank you for saying so!

Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom