• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

computer skills for art

kay

I have accepted that I am not the tech type and never will be. I like making art with things that get my hands dirty and mess up my desk and spill on the floor. I like the sound of a pencil and scrubbing a paintbrush down to a nubbin. In the last couple of years my art has improved and I feel that I at least need the ability to photograph and send out the images of my art without help. Any thoughts on how to learn for a middle age Luddite who types with one hand and still needs help using the printer?

You might consider some adult education courses in Photoshop and digital photography if available in your area. That way you can work at an established organized pace with feedback and have questions answered in real time.

Photoshop sounds a bit advanced. I'm pitiful, I need help to upload a photo, use the printer, still can't find things after downloading them. Can never remember where they go. Do know how to use a camera well enough for what I need, just not so good at getting the photos into the computer and into a format that is acceptable for submissions. Have to ask for help every time. Tech stuff has a hard time sticking in my head for some reason.

what you could do is go onto google and look for a site dedicated to your specific computer ! in case it has features but the one that is slightly cheaper doesn't have! ,that has a question and answer section !then type in how do I upload photographs?I do it for everything !if I'm going to buy something I look at questions and answers and reviews ,to see if something rings a bell!
another one is YouTube it is still amazes me how many people upload what you're looking for I was looking to see how are particular washing machine would work and sound.

Photoshop sounds a bit advanced. I'm pitiful, I need help to upload a photo, use the printer, still can't find things after downloading them. Can never remember where they go. Do know how to use a camera well enough for what I need, just not so good at getting the photos into the computer and into a format that is acceptable for submissions. Have to ask for help every time. Tech stuff has a hard time sticking in my head for some reason.

It isn't about Photoshop so much as it is to recommend formal instruction. Where you actually have a human being to instruct you while you incrementally learn the program, though difficult as it may be. Where when you ask for help each time there is actually someone there to help you to learn.

Something most online and dry tutorials aren't apt to do. The reality in most cases is that you won't find adult education programs teaching any other bitmap graphics programs other than Photoshop. The first bitmap graphics program I learned on my own with some degree of proficiency was Corel Photo Paint which came bundled with Corel Draw 3, a vector graphics program.

I can recommend other freeware products like GNU Image Manipulation (GIMP) and it does have tutorials, though you're completely on your own. Or Paint.net as well. They aren't simple, though neither are they Adobe Photoshop. At least with freeware the only real investment becomes the amount of time to either learn it or give up on it.

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

https://www.getpaint.net/

Last edited:
It isn't about Photoshop so much as it is to recommend formal instruction. Where you actually have a human being to instruct you while you incrementally learn the program, though difficult as it may be. Where when you ask for help each time there is actually someone there to help you to learn.

Something most online and dry tutorials aren't apt to do. The reality in most cases is that you won't find adult education programs teaching any other bitmap graphics programs other than Photoshop. The first bitmap graphics program I learned on my own with some degree of proficiency was Corel Photo Paint which came bundled with Corel Draw 3, a vector graphics program.

I can recommend other freeware products like GNU Image Manipulation (GIMP) and it does have tutorials, though you're completely on your own. Or Paint.net as well. They aren't simple, though neither are they Adobe Photoshop. At least with freeware the only real investment becomes the amount of time to either learn it or give up on it.

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

https://www.getpaint.net/
I think at my level of knowledge I need a 13 year old or something to sit in my living room and devise a set of post-its to walk me through everything. I am wanting to print off some pictures of my bunnies today before I go to the dentist(they have a wall of pet photos)but can't remember how from the last dozen times I've been shown. Seems to be a similar problem that I have with math. Anything that requires remembering a long sequence of steps that seem arbitrary just won't stick for me.

You might also consider going to Walmart and try using their photo-editing "machines" with some assistance. I have no idea what results they can yield, but I always see people seated and using them in the photo and electronics department.

You might also consider going to Walmart and try using their photo-editing "machines" with some assistance. I have no idea what results they can yield, but I always see people seated and using them in the photo and electronics department.

Both ideas that I will check out for a couple of things I'm needing. There are the bunnies, no time to try either today but one of those will at least get the photo on the wall at the dentist at my next appointment. Found a call for artist from the library for photography the other day that I want to try just because of the theme, don't care about getting selected, I just need a project with a theme and a deadline.

I'm sure at some point I'll find a way to learn what I most but it's like how I learned to swim, just not how it was generally taught.

An amusing story given its timing and the nature of this thread. Which makes me wonder if there's also a sort of backlash of users frustrated with the learning curve of digital photography, imaging and printing who are opting to return to traditional film.

Following National Trends, Film Makes a Comeback in Reno
A local gallery offered a pin hole photography class last year that I didn't have time to do. If they do it again this year I plan on trying it. I sometimes think my disdain for high tech stuff is from not growing up with it but the people I know most excited over vinyl records and similar stuff are all 30 and under. Of course the people I know who want nothing but digital everything are in the same age category. Guess it's a personality thing more than anything. Kinda like the difference between drip coffee and percolator people. I personally hate coffee but love percolators. Wish I liked coffee.

I sometimes think my disdain for high tech stuff is from not growing up with it but the people I know most excited over vinyl records and similar stuff are all 30 and under. Of course the people I know who want nothing but digital everything are in the same age category. Guess it's a personality thing more than anything. Kinda like the difference between drip coffee and percolator people. I personally hate coffee but love percolators. Wish I liked coffee.

Unfortunately I think there are any number of sophisticated products out there that imply forms of instant gratification. Some deliver while many are just "teasers" which ultimately require a greater degree of dedication to eventually master.

New Threads

Top Bottom