• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Compliments : flirting or not?

QueenOfFrance87

Let them eat tuna!
V.I.P Member
So I met this guy on Facebook, and he lives in Scotland. I told him in advance that I want to just be friends, but he is giving me so many nice compliments. He kept saying that I am beautiful, lovely, wonderful, etc.

Problem is, I am happy the way I am now, and I am unsure if I want to start another relationship, because I don't feel like I am ready yet. It took me a while to get over my ex, and I don't want to get hurt again.

I should be grateful someone wanted to be my friend, but I am in a good place right now, and I don't want to ruin it. He's divorced and alone, because his wife cheated on him and his son is in boarding school.

Does this sound like flirting to you, and what do I do from here?

It sounds like flirting to me. I think the kindest thing to do, if you have no intention of reciprocating, is to break it off. Leading him on will make it worse.

Give a reminder of your initial boundaries?
Just wanting a friend?

Friends can compliment each other without it meaning anything but given compliment.

If it's making you feel uneasy or overwhelmed, mention it? Discuss it?

Or end the friendship, if that's what you'd prefer.

Many options to choose from.

So I met this guy on Facebook, and he lives in Scotland. I told him in advance that I want to just be friends, but he is giving me so many nice compliments. He kept saying that I am beautiful, lovely, wonderful, etc.

Problem is, I am happy the way I am now, and I am unsure if I want to start another relationship, because I don't feel like I am ready yet. It took me a while to get over my ex, and I don't want to get hurt again.

I should be grateful someone wanted to be my friend, but I am in a good place right now, and I don't want to ruin it. He's divorced and alone, because his wife cheated on him and his son is in boarding school.

Does this sound like flirting to you, and what do I do from here?

I think this is flirting and if you do not want a romantic relationship with this person it is an indicator that you two are not in agreement with your thinking. I hope my perspective is helpful.

Hi guys,

So I did confront him, and while he did admit he was going too fast, he also said that he wanted nothing more than friendship. I guess he crossed the line when he called me Dear. We did agree to just be friends, and honestly, I feel more comfortable with that than anything.

Okay, so he turned out to be a con artist, and I didn't know it at the time. He asked me today for an iTunes gift card because he was allegedly "doing research". I ran this by my mom, and she agreed that it is a scam, so I unfriended him.

He also told different stories. For example, he told me his wife cheated on him, but told my mom he was widowed, which made no sense.

I have since made my Facebook private, for my friends and family only. And apparently, after I unfriended him, he quickly deleted his account. Now that I know it's a scam, I won't have to put up with his flattery and clinginess anymore, so I deleted every conversation we had.

I was right from the beginning when I don't want a real man in my life. And I went with my instincts on this one. Now I have peace of mind knowing that I won't have contact with this man anymore.

New Threads

Top Bottom