• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Complete lack of emotional response

EKnuppel81

Red Mage
The guy who lived across the street from my parents house just died earlier this week. He was a decent guy, always pretty nice. My mom mentioned his state of severe deterioration the night before it happened, and the day of she texted me about it, and my dad asked me if I had heard. From the news I had no feeling whatsoever, and it kinda bothers me.

Granted I work in a place that designs/makes gravestones so I’m familiar with the subject, but I knew the guy. I remember our brief conversation last year around Christmas. Same thing with my Aunt who’s just been denied a liver transplant. I can count on one hand how many times I’ve met her so that’s a little different, but I definitely noticed my lack of response there too.

Maybe to me death is just a logical thing?

That could be it, but he passed on Tuesday. Maybe I’ve just been in the industry too long and I’m desensitized, I don’t know.

It took me a few years to feel sad after my Grandpa passed about thirteen years ago. At first I felt nothing. I was just talking about this with my colleagues today because it would of been his birthday tomorrow.

Perhaps you just weren't close enough to him, and being vaguely acquainted wasn't enough of a connection to make his death hit you. And/or perhaps you saw it coming for such a long time that you had (consciously or subconsciously) dealt with it before it actually happened.

If death, e.g. due to illness, is a long time coming it can cause the actual event to not hit you so much - and the way you describe the situation, he was a vaguer sort of acquaintance to you at best... given that, your (non-) reaction doesn't surprise me.

I've heard of people I knew (of) die and not felt much. It means the obvious: we weren't close, and besides that, they weren't an influence to me. And sometimes I've heard of people die, occasionally even people I didn't know, and been hit surprisingly hard. If someone's death hits me, either we were (relatively) close, or they influenced me in ways I consider significant.

Unless you've never grieved when you lost someone you were emotionally close to, I wouldn't worry.

My mother-in-law passed away a couple of months ago. She was always sweet to me and helped me feel welcome in the family (not a nightmare mother-in-law at all). I had known her for about 25 years. And yet, I never cried for her loss. I felt sad for sure--but mostly sad for my husband and the rest of her family. They're very tight-knit, and it's been an extremely painful and difficult loss for them. My therapist is helping me figure out how to be supportive and understand what they're going through, because I don't think I would feel a great sense of loss at all if/when either of my parents dies--I'm not emotionally close to either of them, and both of those relationships have been fraught with many difficulties.

At the same time, I have had some serious and extensive processing to do. For me, it's not so much emotional as it is cognitive. I'm having to rethink a lot of things. Expectations I have for "how things work" have had to be modified, both in regard to plans (like holiday meals) and in regard to life in general. I don't mean that in an unemotional, loveless sort of way. I admired and respected her and accepted her for who she was. I believe she did the same for me. And so I believe we loved each other. But the loss challenges my perception of what life is like, how relationships work, what really matters in life, and how we contribute to each other's journeys. Through her loss, for example, I'm developing a much deeper appreciation for my marriage and what it takes to "grow old together." Also shifting my understanding of what it means to "be there for each other" when things happen.

So even though my experience of loss doesn't look at all like my husband's, it's still very real for me. It affects me. I've had to give myself the freedom to process this in ways that are authentic for me, even if that looks very unusual or perhaps even if it doesn't show up in other people's awareness at all because it's very private inside my own thoughts and mind.

Perhaps it's the same for you. Clearly this does affect you somehow because you took the time to post about it here. Maybe it has nothing to do with emotions, at least, not in a way that is revealed in a surface-level emotional expression. And that's okay. Process it at a logical level if that's more helpful for you.

We all have a "relationship" with death that progresses throughout our lives. Is it something far off in the distance that doesn't affect our day-to-day decisions? Is it something that seems rather predictable? Is it something that butts into life when it's least expected? Is it something that you dread and avoid, or is it more of a natural progression of life for you? Your answers to those questions will adapt to your increasing experiences with death throughout the years.

So perhaps these two deaths you mention haven't deeply affected your answers to those questions--yet. Perhaps you'll get off easy and not have to face these questions much at all. Or perhaps there will come a time in your life where these questions and more become much more relevant, and you'll pull from these prior experiences in trying to settle on your answers. And yet, those answers will continue to be impermanent, shifting again with each new encounter with death, whether that's the death of a friend, a family member, a neighbor, a lover, a child, a stranger whose story feels unexpectedly connected to yours (perhaps another aspie, or someone who is your age, or someone who is living your dream, or whatever).

At any rate, these experiences with death help you set your expectations for future experiences with death. If you live long enough, you'll experience the loss of many people in your life. And each one can awaken you to a new understanding of what life is all about.

New Threads

Top Bottom