• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Comparing New York cheesecake to Russian sweatened cottage cheese

Polchinski

In Russia they sell two types of cottage cheese: one unsweet the other sweet. The name of the sweet one is "сырковая масса". So you can put this into google, find the recepies of that, and then go to google translate to translate them from Russian to English. To be honest, I have no idea how to make it myself. I only bought it on the store. I guess by googling it seems like the jist is to mix it with sugar and butter, and then whip it. But perhaps in the store they put more ingredients who knows. Unfortunately I am in America right now, so I can't exactly buy that stuff and read its ingredient list.

In any case, one of those days, I noticed that American cheesecake tastes pretty similar to that. Which was actually a surprise. Because the way I used to think of sweetened cottage cheese as "something that isn't supposed to be sweet that just has a little bit of sugar added", while cheesecake is something that definitely is supposed to be sweet. But one thing that occurred to me, is that when I was eating sweetened cottage cheese back in Russia, I was always surprised that it was a lot sweeter than expected. As if "they were only required to add a little bit of sugar but, to be nice, they added a lot more". And at the same time, the cheesecake isn't exactly the sweetest thing you can find: I am sure its a lot less sweet than things like chocolate or what not.

So I was wondering, what if cheesecake and sweetend cottage cheese are actually the same thing? If so, that would be really nice. Because what that means is that I can go to any American cafe and eat the Russian dish I missed for all those years!

In any case, a few days ago I found the Russian grocery store and I bought sweetened cottage cheese covered in chocolate. I am assuming that, if I take the chocolate away, it would be good old sweetened cottage cheese -- without being sweetened any MORE than it usually is. Of course, I don't actually know it. It would have been nice if they were to have sweetened cottage cheese without the chocolate so I could compare. But they didn't. They only had one in chocolate. So I will just assume that its the same, until I have means of checking it.

In any case I bought four of those things at the Russian store. Then I went to Barns and Noble, and bought New York Cheesecake, and ate them side by side. Guess what. The sweetened cottage cheese is actually slightly MORE sweet than the cheesecake! Thats nice to know, because its the opposite to what I expected. And the fact that its the opposite stresses even more that the two should be put into the same category.

However, the texture is somewhat different. The sweetened cottage cheese is slightly softer, while New York Cheesecake is slightly less soft. It is still pretty soft if I eat it from the middle, but not as soft.

Apart from that, the Russian sweetend cottage cheese seemed to have a bit richer flavor. I would have thought it meant it has more ingredients, but it doesn't. On the list of ingredients they literally just put cottage cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla, and thats it. I am sure New York cheesecake has a lot more ingredients than just that. I think what it is, is that I was so used to New York cheesecake for all those years, that I perceive it as "simple" (even though its not) and thus perceive any discrepancy from that as "more ingredients".

The bad news, however, is that when I looked up the recipy for New York cheesecake on the internet (they don't provide ingredients in the coffee shops as you can imagine) I saw that they use cream cheese instead of cottage cheese. So that means that its NOT the Russian dish I am missing, after all. It is surprising though, cause cream cheese has much harder texture. But then again, sweetened cottage cheese is softer (which I wouldn't have known if I didn't compare them side by side). So did the cream cheese they use for cheesecake get softer by whipping?

The other thing I noticed with cream cheese is that they cook it. I don't know why! Now I was assuming that sweetened cottage cheese is not cooked. If so, that would be yet another difference between the two. But maybe I am wrong, maybe sweetened cottage cheese is cooked too? Is anybody familiar enough with Russian dishes to tell me?

From my experience, the cottage cheese of Russia is called "Farmer Cheese" in the USA. If you bought a tub of American Cottage Cheese, you would find that it's a totally different product.

To make farmer cheese:
1 gallon whole milk
1 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

Heat milk just to boiling point, without the milk actually boiling. Shut off the stove. Pour in 1 cup of vinegar. Very gently, with a large spoon, push the vinegar into the milk, making sure to slowly stir it into all the milk. You will see the curd separate from the whey. Put a lid on the pot and let it cool to room temp.

Line a colander with a cloth. Place colander over a large bowl or pot. pour curd and whey from the pot into the colander. Lift the cloth and tie it in a knot, to make a bag. Squeeze out all the whey.

In a separate bowl, pour cheese from cheesecloth. Sprinkle with salt. Stir. Put cheese in a covered container in the fridge .

The whey can be used for use in breads and pastries, as a rinse for your cheesecloth, or even to shampoo the hair. Or you can dump it out. Garden plants love whey.

I love Blintzes with sweet cheese filling (Polish) When making these i will cook up cherries that I have saved from the summer as a topping!

I use to buy blintzes in LA Russian stores. They were my favorite also. That filling was so satisfying.

Actually the sweet cheese in blintzes isn't the type that I talk about. Because the type that I talk about is an even paste, while in blintzes its a bunch of small pieces. Maybe it relates to what Yeshuasdaughter talked about: namely that when I said "cottage cheese" I really meant "farmer cheese".

By the way, I am surprised to hear that "farmer cheese" has vinegar as one of its ingredients: it certainly doesn't taste like it would.

Does cheesecake have vinegar too then? It would be really surprising.

Actually the sweet cheese in blintzes isn't the type that I talk about. Because the type that I talk about is an even paste, while in blintzes its a bunch of small pieces. Maybe it relates to what Yeshuasdaughter talked about: namely that when I said "cottage cheese" I really meant "farmer cheese".

By the way, I am surprised to hear that "farmer cheese" has vinegar as one of its ingredients: it certainly doesn't taste like it would.

Does cheesecake have vinegar too then? It would be really surprising.
The blintz fillings that I've had are about the texture of mascarpone. I use mascarpone in making cheese grits as the base that will emulsify a good sharp cheddar.

I need a Russian Bakery sooooo bad. We have a great European bakery, but they don't make that particular pastry.

I need a Russian Bakery sooooo bad. We have a great European bakery, but they don't make that particular pastry.

Yeah, I miss Russian bakery too! Thats why I was trying to convince myself of the similarity between cheesecake and Russian cheese paste, cause then I can eat cheesecake and tell myself I am eating Russian bakery :)

The other Russian dish I miss -- and that one can NOT be approximated by cheesecake at any stretch -- is сырники. When I looked it up on Russian English translation, it said "cottage cheese fritters". I don't remember eating any American dish that would be called "fritters". But the word is familiar, familiar enough to tell me that its something common in America that probably doesn't even taste good, and probably has nothing to do with сырники at all. I mean, сырники is something special I haven't eaten for years. Few years ago I was in Starbucks in Russia and they served сырники right there That was great!!!

Last edited:
Wow. I had a yummy pastry that had a little of the sweet cheese like on the pastry, don't know what it's called except l would search the Russian stores for it. I get you, that longing for that delectable taste of heaven that takes us away.

Kolach? That's the Czech name for this pastry.

iu

Kolach? That's the Czech name for this pastry.

iu

Yeah, I miss this one too.

Just for the record, though, in the OP I was thinking about the cheese by itself, not the pastry. And I was thinking of the cheese taken out of cheesecake as approximating it.

But pastry is another good question. Would scooping out the cheese from it be the type of cheese I am after, or would it be different?

I like Russian pastries too by the way. Its just a different food. But I miss ALL Russian sweets, both pastries and non-pastries :)

I find this discussion very interesting! I've had the American farmer's cheese before; some Amish/Mennonite stores in Pennsylvania Dutch country sell it. Maybe I'll buy some the next time we're up that way and do some experimenting with it. I never go to big cities so I've never been to a Russian or Eastern European store. I'm half-Latvian by blood but have never been across the ocean.

Kolach had the best creamy filling at the Russian stores, l asked my Russian friend how to make it. Almost like a sweet ricotta filling. It wasn't a custard filling.

Kolach had the best creamy filling at the Russian stores, l asked my Russian friend how to make it. Almost like a sweet ricotta filling. It wasn't a custard filling.

Its interesting that you mentioned custard, because there is that one Chinese store where they sell custard in a glass and I like to eat it with a spoon. In fact I like it just as much as any Russian food although its not Russian! So why am I not enjoying the good old American pastries now that you brought to my attention they tend to have custard fillings? I guess maybe the way custard is being prepared in that Chinese store is different. Either that or its the fact that it is by itself and not in a pastry so that I can fully taste it. Which is the same concept as wanting to taste sweet rigotta by itself.

For custard, l too like it by itself and love the flan custard type prepared by the Hispanic stores. However my daughter loved the leche cake, which l always bought for her.

But l love Chinese Moon Cake, which it's a great pastry sorta cakeish type thing.

Cheesecake is such a great dessert. I was just looking at cheesecake recipes as l was running on the treadmill. Pumpkin cheesecake to be exact. I have made the crust incorporating macadamia nuts, and adding a hazelnut liquor to the plain cheesecake mixture which won me rave review from a guest.

New Threads

Top Bottom