• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Communication?

Ken

V.I.P Member
One of the many revelations I had upon discovering I am autistic is the answer to why I so often have such frustrating communication issues. The problem seems to mostly occur when directly speaking to someone, but not so much with printed text or talking on the telephone. The issue is that conversations often degrade into a heated argument. I am always mystified that there is no actual disagreement. As far as I can tell, we are both on the same subject and in total agreement about the subject. I have been totally mystified by this for most of my life. That is, until a few months after learning that I am autistic.

While studying the subject of autism, I find that many autistics seem to have communication issues – mostly with neurotypicals, but much less so between autistics. I am married to a wonderful NT. She tolerates me probably more than anyone else would, but still we too often suffer very frustrating arguments – again to my bewilderment - all while in total agreement. On a few occasions, I conducted a test. I would repeat verbatim what she said, and she still disagreed with me. I would often exclaim, “Why are we arguing! We are in total agreement.” But that never seemed to help. Sometimes she would actually say that it’s the way I say it. That it’s my tone, but I never understand that. On my end, I am frustrated that she often speaks in incomplete, fragmented sentences. I find the wording to be of extremely low resolution – too low for me to make any sense of it. And, my wife is not alone. When she talks to other NT’s, they all seem fine with fragmented, low resolution sentences.

Then one evening, the answer came from the most unlikely place. I was watching a romantic comedy with my wife. It was a movie titled, “Hitch”. In the movie, there is a line by the main character. I don’t know if the line is a known true fact or just created for the movie, but, regardless, it fits my experience precisely. In the movie, Hitch is a dating coach. In one scene, Hitch is explaining human interaction to a client. He says,

“Sixty percent of all human communication is nonverbal, body language; thirty percent is your tone. So that means that ninety percent of what you're saying ain't coming out of your mouth.”

My problem is that I am oblivious to my expressions, body language and tone – which is ninety percent of the communication. That 90% is uncontrolled. I am oblivious to everything except for the ten percent verbal communication. Now I realize that ninety percent of my communication is disconnected and inappropriate to what I’m saying. So, apparently, NT’s gets that ninety percent expression, body language and tone that I am completely oblivious to. That means that 90% of what I am “saying” has nothing to do with what I mean to be saying.

I have learned how to make faces and voice inflections and body movements, but it is not at all automatic. I suppose that is called Masking. I have to think about it and concentrate, which is hard when I’m trying to think about what I'm saying at the same time. I’m not good at multitasking. While I can sometimes pull it off, it’s never perfect. And, the more important I feel getting a point communicated, the less I am able to “mask”.

I am curious if any of you have this issue?

Yes. I have experienced this. Our tone is the frequency within which our words are expressed.
If you are in agreement, yet caught in what feels like you are not, otherwise why would you be arguing, you are not vibrationally matching.

When she says it's your tone, the reason that doesn't make sense to you is because this is the best she can do to explain what she thinks is going on. It's not what's going on. Your words are being overwhelmed by everything else you are sending, so she hears them, but processes them in relation to the whole picture, which sends an incongruous message which does not correlate. It would explain why you can say the same thing she is saying verbatim, and it be received as if you're still disagreeing.

It would be useful to record one of these conversation/arguments and listen to it back after.

Wow, we'd really be in trouble if 90% was non-verbal communication :eek:. I don't think it is that bad. But I'm sure in can vary quite a bit based on the context. Dating would have a very high non-verbal component. Something more businesslike might have a lower component. In an adversarial business discussion, wouldn't you want to assume the other person might be sociopathic and any emotions may be disingenuous? In the case of friendship it would be high since there's always the question if the person really likes you or is just using you.

The solution to this issue will sound counter-intuitive.

The more important you feel getting your point across is, the more you have to not try to get your point across.
Slow everything down. Speak fewer words. Really listen to her and be as still as you can be when you do. Don't jump into a pause when she takes a breath. This will eliminate some of that non-verbal stuff. See if what you then say produces a different outcome.

It's generally said that communication is 93% non verbal, and only 7% verbal. Non verbal aspects are components like, body posture and movements, gestures, eye contact, voice tone and volume, use of space, touch, etc. It probably does explain why you have this experience of being disagreed with.

My impression is that also, I process what's happening in interactions more slowly, including my emotions for example, which I won't be clear on for a day or 2 normally. It doesn't always matter but sometimes it does. It adds to the confusion.

Hitch is exactly right. 90+% of social communication is context, vocal tone, gestures expressions and posture, eye contact, and dependent on implicit social understandings that Aspies don't always have. (Obviously this isn't true of all communications, just social communications. And most communications are social.) The area of the brain responsible for decoding this is poorly developed in autistic people. See it all the time in my own marriage.

So you say something. The tone comes off to her as condescending. Or maybe pretentious. (Pretentious is really big among Aspies.:cool:) Or maybe angry. She feels a bit irritated and responds but maybe you aren't picking up on the irritation. Even if you do pick up on it you don't understand why she feels that way. You are unaware of her feedback until it becomes quite strong. She is aware of it immediately and is angry because you are ignoring (in her mind) the obvious signals she's sending. To you, she is the one who sounds irrational. The same problem that causes you not to pick up on how she feels causes you not to be aware of how you sound to her.

Rinse and repeat as the anger escalates.

At this point, the discussion is not about the original subject. It is about you being dismissive of her or angry at her or you behaving insufferably or whatever. The subject now becomes a proxy. An NT would not get into this situation and if they did they'd immediately know to apologize for being an ass, whether they thought they were or not.

Neither of us is an NT. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mr Gracey has mentioned countless times over our 30+ years together,

"It isn't what you say, it's how you say it"

Just today, my nephew (5 yrs old &on the spectrum) gave me a mental whistle stop tour of the world's F1 racing circuits.

Part of which was to inform me that Monza is in Italy and immediately added the word 'obviously'

It wasn't his intention to admonish or infer I ought to have known that fact.

He eats, sleeps and breathes F1 Racing.
To him, it's obvious, apparent and clear the Monza circuit is in Italy.
It can't be anywhere else, but Italy. Ever.
His memorised map of the worlds F1 circuits would descend into chaos if they moved Monza and built it in France instead.
because it's obviously in Italy (and nowhere else)

An 'outsider' might miss that distinction and consider themselves admonished and likely make a negative judgement of him.

My brother has this problem and it's rather bewildering to deal with someone with such little self-awareness.

"Obviously" is an incredibly loaded word. To an NT it is a direct insult if the NT doesn't know where Monza is. Even if they do, an NT will read condescension into the use of the term. The kid is still young and hopefully an adult will help him learn.

Think about the pain NTs inflict on us when they assume a nonverbal message is obvious when to an ND, it isn't obvious at all.

One of a million ways Aspies miss that the packaging is the majority of the product.

Many thanks for all the responses, but I would like to clarify that my post was to share my revelation. I am no longer mystified by my communications issue. I now understand it. As a result, heated arguments no longer occur, because I can recognize what's happening and change course or at least point out and apologize for my detached, inappropriate body language.

The post was intended to be a happy announcement to share my revelation. Sorry I didn't point that out. I wasn't seeking answers to the mystery. The mystery is no longer. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom