• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Comic Con/Conventions

savi83

A Comic Con has been recently held close to where I work and I thought it was amazing how people from different backgrounds and wear fancy costumes over a shared love of comics. Although it has started to have a lot more characters from movies and television now.

Has anyone every attended a Comic Con/Convention and did you go in costume?

I'm not a huge fan, but would love to go for the atmosphere. I don't think I'd go in costume for my first Comic Con, but think I would give it a go... eventually.

The thing is, it really helps if you familiarize yourself with what you'll be seeing there (this year i'd expect black panther, cuphead, pop team epic, stranger things, and DDLC themed costumes, though i probably forgot a ton). You have to know a lot about pop culture, and not just about comic books. It might be comic con, but it spans every fandom there is (anime, supernatural, sherlock, doctor who, video games, i even saw degrassi coverage) next thing to know: those "fancy costumes" are called cosplays, and not all cosplays are fancy and elaborate. I'm going to a con soon, and i'm expecting to see a lot of plainer, more schoolgirl-esque costumes (If you've ever heard of doki doki literature club.....yeah...that's why) but honestly, i went to my first con out of costume, and i felt so out of place. i felt like a normal person, a boring face inside the land of all the characters i loved, just because i didn't plan. if you don't feel confident dressing up as something crazy, go with a more normal character. I'm dressing up as the girl in my profile picture, and her outfit doesn't look too crazy or revealing, does it? many characters wear school uniforms and street clothes, and you can both wear some cosplays in public and still be recognized at a con. But finally, conventions are about everything, not just comics. I've never picked up a comic book in my life, but i can recognize most characters i see from a tv show or anime. however, that's just my opinion, and what's at someone's local con varies hugely.

Have seen pics of these events and they seem like fun. A lady I work with is going to one later this year.

It sounds like fun. I would only be concerned if its the very crowded type, like the one in California. Wall to wall people is as bad as the zombie apocalypse to me. :D

If you have sensory issues. I would use extreme caution when going to any of these events. Be sure to bring earplugs and sunglasses with you and make sure you map out all the restrooms or quiet places so you can get there fast if you need to.

If you have sensory issues. I would use extreme caution when going to any of these events. Be sure to bring earplugs and sunglasses with you and make sure you map out all the restrooms or quiet places so you can get there fast if you need to.
And watch out for things like T-shirt cannons. You never know what element of "fun" will get interjected into conventions.

I go to conventions all the time!
I also highly recommend getting a hotel room at the convention center. This last time I went was the first time I ever actually got a hotel room and it was soo good. Because whenever I got overwhelmed, tired, or wanted a place to think, I would go to my hotel room. I split it with a bunch of friends. Also going with friends in general is good because you can stay with them.
I usually dress up every single time as either Kankri from Homestuck or I just toss on my pikachu kigurumi.
Some warning, they can be very crowded. If you do dress up, do expect people to look at you (not in fear/disgust) but likely trying to figure out who you are OR love the costume. People might also be trying to get your attention and waving at you. They also might request to take a photo of or with you.
A lot of cons also have raves or clubs. The one I went to had a club (18+) the first night and a rave the 2nd. The 2nd one mostly had 18+ people anyway because it went into after curfew. So don't forget your I.D. Maybe bring ear plugs depending on how you feel about loud music.
I would bring a sewing kit, your meds, makeup wipes, and granola bars. I would also bring fidgets for when you're stressed/overwhelmed or as something to do during panels.
Make sure you either bring enough food for your time their or enough money for food! Also eat meals consistently so you don't faint. Drink a lot of water. I slept only 3 hours over a period of 4 days because the night before the con was spent finishing up a costume at the last minute. Cons can be reaaalllly tiring. Sleep exhaustion + not eating + no water = passing out. A lot of people also like to drink/smoke at cons and raves, so make sure you're safe about that. You will also be walking for hours straight potentially.
But they're also super fun. I loooove studio ghibli and cons are the only time I can get items related to studio ghibli. The vendor hall is usually huge and busy. If you plan on buying any 18+ material, remember your I.D.

I've only gone to them for photography purposes, the one here in my city? There is a parade on Friday, one year I took a day off work to attend the parade and watch/photograph... And where the convention is, there is a large outside area where people (costumed or otherwise) linger, so I can take photos there without buying tickets for the inside... Other photographers I know do the exact same thing, it's not just me...

As a photographer I have interest in people wearing costumes, it's great people watching...

It looks like a great activity for other people, and kudos to you if you go. I wouldn’t go for two reasons:

1) Too many people. I have no patience for crowds. It seems like the more people you get together, the lower the group IQ is.

2) I try to avoid anything that is too “fanboy”. I’ve gone full fanboy on certain shows, books, etc. in the past, and it’s just too easy for me to go overboard. Now I very deliberately limit my involvement. I’ll watch a movie series or TV show, but I won’t buy posters or other merchandise, get autographs, change my avatar to my favorite character, dress up like them, etc. - if anything seems a little to much like a “fanboy” move, I will avoid it.

3) It’s expensive and I’m a cheapskate.

Make that three reasons.

've been to Comic Con here in Sheffield, England for the last 3 years and I love it.

It's not that expensive either, tickets are only about £8 each (works out about $10 US I think), most expensive thing is my costume, well that and the stupidly expensive food because you can't take your own to the venue.

I go to my local con every year, it's always a great time. I would suggest bringing ear plugs and plenty of snacks. I usually go go in cosplay just to be part of it. It's a great place to meet new people with similar interests.

New Threads

Top Bottom