• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Color deficiency/anomaly and autism

Myrtonos

So what happens when autism occurs in someone who is also color deficient? A lot of people who get diagnosed have color related sensitivities, like refusal to eat certain foods of a certain color.

Information on color vision deficiency

You may have heard of people not knowing they were "colorblind"until they failed a really sensitive color distinction test, such as the famous Ishihara test. The reason they did not know is because they did not have prior real world problems identifying colour. These are people with what you might have heard of as a milder form of colorblindness but is actually weakness to a color rather than a blindness, such as to green - deuteranomaly.
Those with deuteranomaly often still make a clear distinction between colours like red, yellow, green, blue, orange and purple but not (at least on objects that reflect light) between dark green and black. So if someone on the spectrum is green weak and refuses to eat black food, he will probably also refuse to eat dark green food.
Protanomaly, a weakness to red, is similar, but in this case, the ability to see red is reduced, they may still make a clear distinction between, say, orange, yellow, green and blue but not only does dark red look black but their ability to see red lights is also greatly reduced.

It has been found that those with a weakness to green are actually better at discerning shades of khaki, could protanomaly have the same advantage?

For some reason, tritanomaly, a weakness to blue, causes certain shades of green to look gray. So if someone on the spectrum, also with that colorweakness, refuses to eat gray food, they would also refuse to eat green foods that look gray to them.

Omg, something I actually know something about! Lol

My irl best friend is blue/yellow colorblind (tritanopia) and I think he can't tell the difference between shades of green and blue, and yellow, and I think light purple, and gray. My mom had a light blue rug in her work office that had some gray tones in it, and my friend spent almost 10 years convinced that it was completely gray, lol.
He also didn't know he was colorblind until he took a color distinction test in an art class in college. So he went the first 18-20 or so years of his life thinking the way he saw colors was totally normal (he's 38 now.)
He also has retinitis pigmentosa and he can't really see without glasses. Coincidentally, he and I both have central heterochromia. His eyes are gray with brown around the pupils, and my eyes are bright green with hazel around the pupils and dark green around the outside.

My friend isn't autistic, so I don't think he would have the right answer to this question, unfortunately. Just thought it was worth sharing that someone who is probably the closest person to me irl is colorblind.

I didn't know this counted as heterochromia, and I didn't know I had it until it was pointed out.
I have a rare eye color to begin with but I'm mixed race and it's apparently more common in people of my ethnic background.
This is my eye btw, I'm honestly really surprised I've never talked about this before:
BgHTSP3g.jpeg

My irl best friend is blue/yellow colorblind (tritanopia) and I think he can't tell the difference between shades of green and blue, and yellow, and I think light purple, and gray. My mom had a light blue rug in her work office that had some gray tones in it, and my friend spent almost 10 years convinced that it was completely gray, lol.
He also didn't know he was colorblind until he took a color distinction test in an art class in college. So he went the first 18-20 or so years of his life thinking the way he saw colors was totally normal (he's 38 now.)
I'm confused by this because those with tritanopia (not tritanomaly) don't distinguish between green and blue and red and violet also look the same, and I mean pure violet, not purple, which is a mix of red and blue. Those who don't make a clear distinction between green and blue would realize early on in life. Also, to tritanopes, certain shades of yellow look gray and they also don't perceive the difference between orange and pink.
He also has retinitis pigmentosa and he can't really see without glasses. Coincidentally, he and I both have central heterochromia. His eyes are gray with brown around the pupils, and my eyes are bright green with hazel around the pupils and dark green around the outside.
I don't understand this condition.

I'm confused by this because those with tritanopia (not tritanomaly) don't distinguish between green and blue and red and violet also look the same, and I mean pure violet, not purple, which is a mix of red and blue. Those who don't make a clear distinction between green and blue would realize early on in life. Also, to tritanopes, certain shades of yellow look gray and they also don't perceive the difference between orange and pink.

I don't understand this condition.
Maybe I got tritanopia and tritanomaly confused. I'm just going based on what he told me.

Retinitis pigmentosa is a degenerative eye disease.

EnChroma Eyewear for Color Blindness (if anyone wants a free colorblindness test!)

(just ignore their advertising of eyeglasses, lol)

Untitled.png

I only found out about my colorblindness when my friend sent me a quiz a few years ago. I always knew something was off about my color processing, and there it is!

My friend isn't autistic, so I don't think he would have the right answer to this question, unfortunately. Just thought it was worth sharing that someone who is probably the closest person to me irl is colorblind.

I didn't know this counted as heterochromia, and I didn't know I had it until it was pointed out.
I have a rare eye color to begin with but I'm mixed race and it's apparently more common in people of my ethnic background.
This is my eye btw, I'm honestly really surprised I've never talked about this before:
View attachment 85526
We could be sisters. My eyes are the same color as yours. Lighter green with yellow tones in the center and dark green on the outer edge. Green is the rarest eye color, brown is the most common, and blue falls somewhere in the middle.

View attachment 85526
My eyes are sorta like yours but l have a blue line around and more gold tone in the middle and no brown. My father and grandmother argued if my eyes were blue or green. Mine eyes are lighter green so hence the confusion.

Very beautiful eyes you have.

Last edited:
I have perfect color vision per that online test. I can see over one million colors. Which is good because I worked in a professional photo lab doing color correction of commercial photos.

I have perfect color vision per that online test. I can see over one million colors.
So do I but I still have no explanation of what happens when autism occurs in someone who is also color deficient? A lot of people who get diagnosed have color related sensitivities, like refusal to eat certain foods of a certain color.

So do I but I still have no explanation of what happens when autism occurs in someone who is also color deficient? A lot of people who get diagnosed have color related sensitivities, like refusal to eat certain foods of a certain color.
There seems to be a 10-20% disparity in color discrimination accuracy (not the same thing as color blindness) between a control group and autistic children. That's not a huge difference but it exists. The study group was only 20 autistic children and 14 in the control group, so the actual difference in a larger general population could vary quite a bit. And if you know what an error bar is there were significant error bars.

The cause of the discrepancy can't be determined by this study, just that it probably exists. The difference between the two groups is small. There could be a number of different causes, physical or psychological. Here's the study, it is pretty dense:

I guess I falsify This I have very good colour vision, actually spent my career working with colour. Autism is a continuum, or more accurately a distribution. I guess it depends where you are on the distribution. Main body or tail.

New Threads

Top Bottom