• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

College students with autism

Douglas Thompson

V.I.P Member
Hello, I'm a college student (doctoral degree) who is doing a study about college students with autism. I have found studies that share what parents have to say and what teachers want people to know. However, there are not a lot of studies that talk about the experiences that students have from their own point of view.

I think people could learn if college students with autism could share what it is like going through college because teachers don't get it sometimes and parents aren't real sure. The people who know what is like the most are students with autism and Asperger's.

If you would like to get more information, let me know.

I want to go back to school eventually, if work doesn't work out. I'd participate in something like this. I'd put them all to shame for leaving us out of the dialogue!!! I want to start a blog about school and my career after too.

I'm a doctoral student on the spectrum. My first year of undergrad was difficult because I moved hundreds of miles away from home and my entire life completely changed. I was overwhelmed and ecstatic by the independence but I was also anxious as I was living in dorms surrounded by rowdy peers. Unlike high school I didn't have much trouble making friends though because many of my classmates found my intelligence and quirks endearing rather than off-putting. Classes were initially more difficult because I was used to more specialized attention from my teachers and as away to have a fresh start after the never ending hell that was high school I hid my diagnosis as not to alienate myself. At first I struggled in classes but then I would attend office hours for most of my professors at least once a week to get early feedback on papers. ( I would do every paper several weeks early and have it corrected so it was perfect by the time it was due.)

I developed my own schedule and study strategies to keep myself up to par in my classes without receiving any of the accommodations offered to me in high school even though they were technically available. Taking notes and keeping up with the teachers during lectures were difficult and group projects were the bane of my existence. So for group projects I often made a deal with my group that I would do all the writing and research if I didn't have to speak during the presentations. Both parties were happy and we always got A's.And though I had friends I often felt left out socially.

Unlike my friends I didn't enjoy parties, I find alcohol smelly and unpleasant, and I was the only guy in my group that girls never seemed interested in. It was kind of bummer I really wanted to date and fit in but I always felt held back by my diagnosis and it shattered my confidence with women. By junior year all my buddies had girlfriends and were less available to hang out or have game nights and I was still far too shy ever talk to a woman despite my buddies goading me on. I finished undergrad at 22 not having dated once and feeling like a social failure. But years later I still have most of the same friends and see them on a semi regular basis and I did well enough that I'm now pursuing a doctorate at a prestigious University ,so I feel by going to college I definitely gained more than I lost.

I graduated college 5 years ago, and didn't find out I was on the Spectrum until my last semester...
I'll be applying for Graduate school this spring. Boy, do I have some anecdotes of my experiences!! You're welcome to them, unless you want currently enrolled students instead. If that's the case, I'll hopefully be enrolled by next September.

I want to go back to school eventually, if work doesn't work out. I'd participate in something like this. I'd put them all to shame for leaving us out of the dialogue!!! I want to start a blog about school and my career after too.

If you would like some more information about this study (which has been approved by a university), you could look at the contact information in this flyer.

Attachments

• Recruitment Flyer.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 0

If you want more information about the study, you could look at the info on this flyer. Please feel free to share with anyone who might be interested.

Attachments

• Recruitment Flyer.pdf
I'm a doctoral student on the spectrum. My first year of undergrad was difficult because I moved hundreds of miles away from home and my entire life completely changed. I was overwhelmed and ecstatic by the independence but I was also anxious as I was living in dorms surrounded by rowdy peers. Unlike high school I didn't have much trouble making friends though because many of my classmates found my intelligence and quirks endearing rather than off-putting. Classes were initially more difficult because I was used to more specialized attention from my teachers and as away to have a fresh start after the never ending hell that was high school I hid my diagnosis as not to alienate myself. At first I struggled in classes but then I would attend office hours for most of my professors at least once a week to get early feedback on papers. ( I would do every paper several weeks early and have it corrected so it was perfect by the time it was due.)

I developed my own schedule and study strategies to keep myself up to par in my classes without receiving any of the accommodations offered to me in high school even though they were technically available. Taking notes and keeping up with the teachers during lectures were difficult and group projects were the bane of my existence. So for group projects I often made a deal with my group that I would do all the writing and research if I didn't have to speak during the presentations. Both parties were happy and we always got A's.And though I had friends I often felt left out socially.

Unlike my friends I didn't enjoy parties, I find alcohol smelly and unpleasant, and I was the only guy in my group that girls never seemed interested in. It was kind of bummer I really wanted to date and fit in but I always felt held back by my diagnosis and it shattered my confidence with women. By junior year all my buddies had girlfriends and were less available to hang out or have game nights and I was still far too shy ever talk to a woman despite my buddies goading me on. I finished undergrad at 22 not having dated once and feeling like a social failure. But years later I still have most of the same friends and see them on a semi regular basis and I did well enough that I'm now pursuing a doctorate at a prestigious University ,so I feel by going to college I definitely gained more than I lost.

It sounds like you could give a lot of valuable information. The criteria for my study and some contact info are included on this flyer.

Attachments

• Recruitment Flyer.pdf
I think I can collect answers for my study using this website instead of anyone sending me an email.

If you would like to participate or more information about participating, you could "Start a Conversation" on this website so that our exchange is focused instead of mixed up with the responses from everyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom