• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

College and university

DesertRose

I'm curious. I've read several posts on here saying that it took them longer than required to finish and graduate higher education.
To clarify my curiosity, I never went to college or university, so I really don't have a clue how those schools work. I have done some correspondence work, work at your own pace.
Did you have to take courses repeatedly until you passed, or are the courses set up to take as long as you need, unlike public school where you have to finish by the scheduled end of the year, or fail if you dont?

I'm curious. I've read several posts on here saying that it took them longer than required to finish and graduate higher education.
To clarify my curiosity, I never went to college or university, so I really don't have a clue how those schools work. I have done some correspondence work, work at your own pace.
Did you have to take courses repeatedly until you passed, or are the courses set up to take as long as you need, unlike public school where you have to finish by the scheduled end of the year, or fail if you dont?

IMO that's a complicated question with less than simple, concise answers. I'd suggest you refer to specific institutions and focus on subjects like academic probation and undergraduate academic standing .

You have complete another year if you didnt meet the requirement to get the grade, but everything you validated with enought points is kept.

But it depends on the country and even within the same country all unniversities don't have the same rules

Last edited:
It's definitely been the case for me, but that's primarily because I had to temporarily withdraw due to all the issues I was having (switched to online, but going back to physical classes this Fall :) ). I hear that it is more and more common nowadays overall to take more than four years to graduate from undergraduate. I'm not really in a rush though cuz I am not really currently prepared for what comes next.

Fun fact: I technically had enough credits to graduate within my first semester of college :) .

Last edited:
I struggled with different subjects but completed both my regular schooling (K-12) and college schooling (My office course) on time.

This is a great thread topic. I teach university students and am always looking for students who will talk candidly about their challenges in post-secondary work. I also struggled in college. It took me 6 years to finish a 4-year degree. Graduate school was a bit easier- I finished my MA in just under 2 years, but I remember having a very difficult time as an undergrad. I had not been diagnosed yet.

Anyway- any college students willing to communicate with me about this subject, please send a private message? I am trying to start an advocacy initiative for students with autism where I currently work.

A huge problem with college is that you have to focus no matter what. Tough breakup? screw you study this. hurt your arm? Oh that's so sad, now read these ten chapters. Your dog died? Hahaha, that's cute now right these 3 essays. At least with work is a repetitive task that you can train yourself to get through and even if it isn't, you can still leave work at work and deal with things at home. College is a 24 hour a day job with no pay.

New Threads

Top Bottom