• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cold snap blues

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
So there are a few million people dealing with the current cold snap across much of North America, some people have power outages...

We have already had several days of very cold temperatures in southern Alberta, and it is apparently going to continue into 2018, perhaps finally ending early in the new year...

In the meantime, my job keeps me stuck in a cold industrial shop all week, my only escape from the cold is going home at night, at which point I feel like my energy is sapped out of me...

My weekend will be just Sunday and New Year's Day, back to work on Tuesday the 2nd, long hours in recycling, catching up from Christmas...

And besides, it looks like New Year's Eve public event will still be very cold...

As for my photography obsession it's pretty much on hold right now, and if I don't get my photography fix I sometimes get depressed, a little, I don't think in the clinical sense of the word... Like on Christmas Day I always go out for a walk to take some photos, this year was so cold I just stayed in and did nothing until an evening function...

I'm feeling down and out right now, it's even hard to motivate myself... As I think back over 2017 there have been so many things that went wrong, more than other other year that I remember, and this cold snap seems to be putting the icing on the cake, in a negative way...

Last edited:
THis is a huge problem for me. Funny you should bring it up because just today I was in AGONY over the cold and I don't even live in Canada anymore. I have a circulation problem and trouble with temperature from the genetic thing and it's sheer agony. I CANNOT GET WARM.

I can sit in a sauna and my hands are cold for about ten minutes even if I am finally getting warm.

I have to drink about a quart of hot tea to even be able to face a shower because once I am wet, it is worse.

I live by a heater all the time and sleep with a heating pad.

Even inside, I cannot get warm.

Just today I was wondering if I would ever be warm again.

Even in summer, I cannot be in air conditioning and am always in long sleeves and pants and hats!!! I am afraid I will die freezing me arse off.................

It is like physical pain, it is!

Today I remembered that during part of the year I wear
two pair of sweat pants over my long underwear, under
my regular pants.

Funny how a person could sort of 'forget' that.
Funny how temperature of zero F outside and kitchen floor temp of
30ºF can be a good reminder.

It's gone cold in the UK too tonight with snow settling and biting winds in Birmingham, but it's not as bad as the cold snap we had earlier in December with deep snow and temperatures in some places going as low as minus 9 at night (it went to around minus 5 or 6 even in Birmingham). Snow causes a ridiculous amount of chaos in the UK even if there's only a little, but power outages are thankfully very rare even in the severe cold and power can usually be quickly redirected across the grid when there's an issue. I've known just 1 outage at my home in the last 10+ years and even then the power was redirected within an hour after a serious explosion and fire at a local substation that was attended by emergency services (it made the local news). I've heard the USA's power network isn't too resilient however even if it has been improved?

It never used to be like this in the UK however, in 1973 and 1974 during an oil crisis there was severe national blackouts across the country which were made much worse by miners and electricity workers refusing to work overtime during the coldest Winter months due to a pay dispute, it got so serious that a state of emergency was eventually declared. One of my earliest childhood memories was sitting in a long "traffic jam" with my Dad to get his rationed 2 gallons of petrol (UK word for "gas") and I remember a man in a car behind shouting and getting very angry because of the long wait (I was told to just ignore him when he wouldn't stop kicking off which was obviously utterly ridiculous under the circumstances, but looking back maybe he was having a meltdown?). I also remember being at home with candles during a blackout being told that the power would be coming back on soon (I think there was even blackout schedules to ration electricity as fairly as possible across the country), but that was the last time there was very serious blackouts across the UK. There was warnings of possible blackouts 40 years later in 2013 with severely high electricity demand predicted, but it was more about fear mongering by the media to get a story than reality. Please click here to learn more.

Last edited:
It's just the sheer "weight" of the constant cold weather, for way too long, our snowfall is under control here at least, just day upon day of cold, which affects anything I would like to do...

It has been worse here, the coldest it has been 15 degrees F. That was just one morning, most mornings it is around 25. We pretty much expect that here in Idaho. One thing is a lot better this year, the snow. We have about 2 inch's on the ground now, this time last year we had 2 feet of snow on the ground. So far, so good.

Yeah, -18C is a bit extreme. (The rest of the world has gone metric. Sorry to point that out again. :D) Well, it was 45C (113 F) here last Wednesday. ( Be careful what you wish for. )But at the moment it's a quite reasonable 28. No power outages yet, but yes, people do die in those instances.. If it's 45 , you're aged or infirm,and your aircon and fan die there's a possibility you do too.:(

Yeah, -18C is a bit extreme. (The rest of the world has gone metric. Sorry to point that out again. :D) Well, it was 45C (113 F) here last Wednesday. ( Be careful what you wish for. )But at the moment it's a quite reasonable 28. No power outages yet, but yes, people do die in those instances.. If it's 45 , you're aged or infirm,and your aircon and fan die there's a possibility you do too.:(
In the UK people quote both at different times i find both hard to understand what I know is it's either hot or it's cold Sky is full of snow

In the UK people quote both at different times i find both hard to understand what I know is it's either hot or it's cold Sky is full of snow
Most TV weather forecasts in the UK just use Celsius (sometimes still called Centigrade) and this is usually just assumed. Sometimes they don't bother even writing C, especially on weather maps, but yes some people also use Fahrenheit and occasionally it's even mixed in with forecasts, usually when it's very hot however, E.g. they will be show the temperature as usual in Celsius, then the weather presenter could say something like, "Southern areas are likely to see temperatures soar into the late 80s during the afternoon", obviously meaning Fahrenheit, so yes I agree. Online forecasts however normally allow you do choose between C and F at your convenience.

Meanwhile, a fun read about measuring the temperature.>

"Celsius is a scale, as Very Serious Scientists enjoy pointing out, that revolves around the freezing and boiling points of water. It's nice and even: 0°C is freezing and 100°C is boiling. "It just makes sense!" Sure! Since Celsius is based on water, it would make wonderful sense to use Celsius for the environmental temperature if we lived in water. Until we sprout gills and start flapping around the Gulf, we should use Fahrenheit for air temperatures." :)

"There's an old, bad joke about the two scales...: with Fahrenheit, you're really cold at 0°F and really hot at 100°F; with Celsius, you're cold at 0°C and dead at 100°C." :confused:

Fahrenheit Is a Better Temperature Scale Than Celsius

It's cold here in winter, but it rarely snows. When it does, it's absolute chaos, people panick at just the sight of the stuff. I don't mind so much if it is cold and snowing, but I hate cold and humidity/rain. I love the silence you get after a snow fall.

I like cold... but yesterday it was in the 20s/F with like 40 mile per hour winds. Today everything covered in ice and its 18F right now. I like cold but this is bone chilling cold but tomorrow its supposed to be 60 degrees F. No wonder why everyone is all sick.

I live in a weather roller coaster area. Extreme heat in the summer, massive storms, extreme cold in the winter, not much snow but often ice storms which are not good in any situation.

I plan on getting rid of these winter blues here in about 3-1/2 weeks... I'm going to SD Cal and I cant wait. Hoping I will leave there one step closer to getting to stay there. I am going for a fill in position and hoping that I can find a permanent one while I'm there.

It got down to -35 last night. This would be fine if the heat were left on. :eek:

Fun fact: extreme cold warnings come up at different windchill values depending on where in Canada you live. Coastal provinces trigger at -25. Alberta, I think triggers at -30 or -35.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan trigger at -40, as it should be.:snowman::snowflake::snowman:

It got down to -35 last night. This would be fine if the heat were left on. :eek:

Fun fact: extreme cold warnings come up at different windchill values depending on where in Canada you live. Coastal provinces trigger at -25. Alberta, I think triggers at -30 or -35.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan trigger at -40, as it should be.:snowman::snowflake::snowman:

What does the word "trigger" mean in this context?

Meanwhile, a fun read about measuring the temperature.>

"Celsius is a scale, as Very Serious Scientists enjoy pointing out, that revolves around the freezing and boiling points of water. It's nice and even: 0°C is freezing and 100°C is boiling. "It just makes sense!" Sure! Since Celsius is based on water, it would make wonderful sense to use Celsius for the environmental temperature if we lived in water. Until we sprout gills and start flapping around the Gulf, we should use Fahrenheit for air temperatures." :)

"There's an old, bad joke about the two scales...: with Fahrenheit, you're really cold at 0°F and really hot at 100°F; with Celsius, you're cold at 0°C and dead at 100°C." :confused:

Fahrenheit Is a Better Temperature Scale Than Celsius
We don't live in a 50% solution of salt last I looked. So yes, it does make sense.:cool:

Now it appears it could be as cold as -27 New Year's Eve, or as cold as -13, no one can decide... I'm choosing to be a pessimist for the time being... Which will make New Year's Eve this year suck, I usually go photograph the official festivities, I will think twice if it's that cold! Life 101 Yes, I do know it's winter...

I like cold... but yesterday it was in the 20s/F with like 40 mile per hour winds. Today everything covered in ice and its 18F right now. I like cold but this is bone chilling cold but tomorrow its supposed to be 60 degrees F. No wonder why everyone is all sick.

I live in a weather roller coaster area. Extreme heat in the summer, massive storms, extreme cold in the winter, not much snow but often ice storms which are not good in any situation.

I plan on getting rid of these winter blues here in about 3-1/2 weeks... I'm going to SD Cal and I cant wait. Hoping I will leave there one step closer to getting to stay there. I am going for a fill in position and hoping that I can find a permanent one while I'm there.
I was thinking about Mia your dog and if she could go to a doggy creche for the day

New Threads

Top Bottom