• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'Coke bottle' video explains why autistic children 'explode' and what can help

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

'The thing that always makes difficult situations even worse is uncertainty' - Ryan Hendry

An autistic 24-year-old has said an 'exploding coke bottle' video tackling the issue of the 'delayed effect' captures perfectly how he feels when pressures mount.

Autism consultant Cheryl Kennedy said she got the idea from an analogy she heard when she first started learning about autism and made the video to show parents with ASD kids why their children hit out at home.

Carrickfergus man Ryan has praised the video for its simple but effective message.

He told Belfast Live he was diagnosed with the condition aged 13 and now works in software development for the civil service, and with Autistic UK as their press officer

He said: "That video is pretty good! When I am in an environment I find scary or unfriendly, I can hold the reaction in, but when I get to a place I feel safe and secure or friendly, the pressure valve is opened and everything comes out."

Ryan said he can react to pressure in different ways, but that uncertainty can make everyday situations worse for autistic people.

He added: "It usually depends on what the specific scenario is, but what I find helps me most is when I have a plan, process or course of action. The thing that always makes difficult situations even worse is uncertainty.

"I think schools need to be given more resources to help support vulnerable pupils, especially around exam time. The amount of pressure pupils are put under nowadays can be intolerable."

Cheryl, who works in Milton Keynes, said she is in the process of creating an online learning portal that will provide good quality training around the many subjects autism covers and will make it available to parents, carers and teachers when it is ready.

"I can't take credit for the coke bottle analogy as it was one I was told many years ago when I first started learning about autism I can't even remember where it came from it was so long ago," she explained.

"I know many people have blogged about the delayed effect and used this analogy.

"I have three ASD children and they are all little coke bottles. As an autism consultant I was finding more and more that parents were contacting me saying their children are fine in school yet home life is so different.

"I was once that parent who felt like their child hated them. Why else would they be so happy in school yet scream and cry as soon as they get out to you.

"I don’t want any parent to cry the tears that I did, or to feel the utter despair when school think you are making it all up. I think video is a wonderful medium as it helps so many to see just what is going on.

"This doesn’t happen to just ASD kiddies it can happen to very anxious kiddies too. They are under so much pressure and it’s about time that mental health was seen as important as grades."

Source: New video explains why autistic kids 'explode' and what helps

Can't help but wonder what the Coca Cola company (particularly their legal department) is thinking about the use and name of their product as this kind of metaphor. o_O

Maybe that might just explode too. Or fizzle out with time. :eek:

Last edited:
It's a known fact that children aren't supposed to drink vast amounts of coke anyway, it makes them hyper because of the high level of caffeine in it.

That and if you shake carbonated drinks, the bottle will explode when you open it anyway.

Can't help but wonder what the Coca Cola company (particularly their legal department) is thinking about the use and name of their product as this kind of metaphor. o_O

Maybe that might just explode too. Or fizzle out with time. :eek:

Most likely the video will be forced to “cease and desist, or lawsuit!” Cheryl Kennedy better get herself a legal team ASAP.

New Threads

Top Bottom