• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cognative Storage Systems

Datura

It has been mentioned elsewhere that those on the spectrum tend to store memories in a fashion that is quite different from the average person. Popular analogues seem to be index cards and film strips.

My memetic framework is something more like a tangled root system. Everything exists in relation to something else. Arbitrary information, like random numbers and names, are essentially "errant particles" and don't tend to "stick" without a great deal of effort. With this comes a tendency to see emergent patterns, but also difficulty in recalling minutia. It strikes me that this is in stark contrast to the typical aspie mindset which is more focused on specific details and is far more organized. I quite envy the talent for recall that many on the spectrum seem to poses.

So how do you organize information in your head?

I store things by colors and sounds. Not literal colors or sounds always but, what things look or sound like to me. All 4 wheeled, street legal vehicles are red and sound like a muted roar to me, so red roar is where those go. All food is brown sizzle, all chairs are black silence and so on. Then music gets dumped all over the place in there, it has infinite sounds and colors so, it can be anywhere.

I like to sort my memories by either who was in it, or by memories that give me certain feelings. This is also in relation to the person in the memory. I'll have to find an analogy later, but I guess how to explain it is that it's sorted by who, and the feeling. Like, let's say a friend. There would be two major categories for that friend, being the times they were being funny and gave me positive feelings, and the times that they gave me not-so-positive ones. So if I was talking about a joke my classmate made, my next instinct would be to talk about another funny thing they said, as it would be the first thing to pop to mind, and that can be applied for the other situations. That's for people, but events are sorted by how I felt during the event. Like me riding space mountain, thunderstorms, and watching an epic musical live would all be in the same category, all being really thrilling. That's the best I can explain at the moment, maybe after a long think I'll be able to find a proper analogy.

I'm using MySQL. Series of tables that I search by keyword. :D

It's such a bummer most Aspies have had the robot and computer metaphors used on them the wrong way to the point it's a bitter subject. I always found computer metaphors to describe some of my processes great.

Some call my memory visual/spatial thinking,where others describe it as a photographic memory.There are some professionals that claim a photographic doesn't exist,but trust me,it does.
When people ask me how I could know so much about my world,I used to say it was because I have seen a lot,not knowing that most don't get to retain everything that they have ever viewed.

It might sound fun and cool,but I wouldn't wish it on anyone because of how much information I have to process when both awake and sleeping.

From what I understand about it,eventually it with finish driving me crazy :p

Some call my memory visual/spatial thinking,where others describe it as a photographic memory.There are some professionals that claim a photographic doesn't exist,but trust me,it does.
When people ask me how I could know so much about my world,I used to say it was because I have seen a lot,not knowing that most don't get to retain everything that they have ever viewed.

It might sound fun and cool,but I wouldn't wish it on anyone because of how much information I have to process when both awake and sleeping.

From what I understand about it,eventually it with finish driving me crazy :p

People describe me as having photographic memory as well! The only problem is I can only remember images and not any words or numbers in the memory. That requires a lot of work and estimating on my part to remember those details. In memories of conversation, I can only remember the basic outline of the subject, and remember facial expressions more. This is similar to my dreams,where I only remember the visual, along with only a few key words, sometimes none at all.

I store memories by the direction I was facing at the time, both within the room (respective to doors and traffic flow) and global directions (north, south, east west). I also store them by colors that stood out to me or that I felt as well as the amount and quality of light present, sentence structures that were used in speaking, location of people in relation to my position, facial expressions that I glimpsed, location in the year (because I see the calendar as a huge circle), location on the globe (state, city, building, etc), and how involved I was with the event. I might also have time markers...like when I was a kid, everything was marked by the grade I was in or the place we were living, and now as an adult, it's marked in relation to when each child was born and where we were living.

People describe me as having photographic memory as well! The only problem is I can only remember images and not any words or numbers in the memory. That requires a lot of work and estimating on my part to remember those details. In memories of conversation, I can only remember the basic outline of the subject, and remember facial expressions more. This is similar to my dreams,where I only remember the visual, along with only a few key words, sometimes none at all.
From what I understand,some have eidetic memories that are pictures lacking in details. I get crystal clear entire images and moving clips that take on a 3-D in detail with the ability to move around in them.

My father can also do what I do and can describe an item,how he got it and it's location going back to his first memory of it. It is pretty freaky to be able to do the same as him. This bolsters my thoughts that the spectrum has strong hereditary influences for some to be predisposed to have autism.

I have a large card catalogue tended by a helpful, unseen librarian who evaluates incoming information to see if it's worth keeping according to my patterns of use. Some "cards" are printed or handwritten, some are images, waves, colors, patterns, symbols or indescribable transcriptions of sounds.

In school I found that I could remember everything perceived by any/all of my senses while making some sort of art, just by looking at the artwork later. This was a great way to cheat on tests. I would do a drawing instead of making notes while sitting in class. Nobody suspects anything of a graphite portrait left on a desktop during an exam. That is, until one instructor (an algebra teacher, interestingly) did finally figure me out. But he was so amused that I was able to do what I did that he let me off with a warning to leave my drawings home on test days going forward. :D

I still have a sketch of David Bowie that was my notes for a history exam. I can tell you anything you want to know about events leading up to the American Revolution by "reading" it, to this day. It actually feels pretty weird to talk about it. It's also not always a welcome skill, since I can't shut it off. I did a logo for my brother-in-law's business that replays an entire episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, of all things. I knew I should've changed the damn channel before I started the project....

I store memories by the direction I was facing at the time, both within the room (respective to doors and traffic flow) and global directions (north, south, east west). I also store them by colors that stood out to me or that I felt as well as the amount and quality of light present, sentence structures that were used in speaking, location of people in relation to my position, facial expressions that I glimpsed, location in the year (because I see the calendar as a huge circle), location on the globe (state, city, building, etc), and how involved I was with the event. I might also have time markers...like when I was a kid, everything was marked by the grade I was in or the place we were living, and now as an adult, it's marked in relation to when each child was born and where we were living.

This is an incredibly cool variation. Very impressive.

This is fascinating!
Of the methods described I "remember" most like Slithy. It is boxes in an archive. All ordered like stacks in a library.
For me the first thing out of the box is a smell, an emotional stimulus then visual like a clip of movie, then sound or words. I cannot remember tactile sensations, but the attached emotion lingers and all but the very worse, fades with time.

When it comes to my process of "deep thought" I do this.
At a pace of conversation I set up the parameters and define of a thesis or proposition. Then I propose an different or even opposed the antithesis and collate the pertinent info and test the synthesis. Furthermore I debate myself about the attributes and risk and reward of the concept. The final step is to establish in my own mind how to use the final concept. The options are tool, toy or weapon. It usually takes a few moments and is very effective for me.
Thankfully for most mundane and superficial thought, I put no effort into it at all, yes, no, maybe and I don't know, usually works for me.
I can usually feign interest for a while by just repeating a few words a conversation and inflect as a question. No harm done, but deep thought is easier.

I store everything visually but link everything musically. A line from a song or a whole song can give me perfect recollection of a person or event. Originally my thought was that it was simply because I grew up watching musicals, now I guess it's just my variation on being an aspie :)

Harrison I don't think that is even Aspie specific, music lover specific yes but, I think for us music gets tangled in every memory so, when we recall the song, we recall everything that has happened every time we have heard or played that song.

I know every one of the songs in my head - even the unfinished ones - have a whole book worth of memories with them. All different colors and sounds on the boxes they are in but, there's always a song with each memory. For me it works in either order, I can recall the event or location then the song or songs, or the songs first.

Maybe that's my synesthesia at work, at least the chromesthisia part of it?

In case anyone is curious: Chromesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's funny, whenever I listen to industrial rock I am reminded of a spring day, specifically that characteristic petrichor produced by melting snow and the first stirrings of life. It is ironic, considering that industrial is a very heavy, abrasive, and mechanical genre. But I did start listening to it on a lovely spring afternoon, so the association persists.

It's funny, whenever I listen to industrial rock I am reminded of a spring day, specifically that characteristic petrichor produced by melting snow and the first stirrings of life. It is ironic, considering that industrial is a very heavy, abrasive, and mechanical genre. But I did start listening to it on a lovely spring afternoon, so the association persists.

I thank you for gifting us with the word " petrichor". Wonderful word, and it drives my spell check crazy. More, more-encore. Australian origin, well done.

I've seen lots of topics about this sort of thing and I don't really understand. I do not have a system where I consciously store things or can go and pick things out to look at like I'm at a library or something.

When I remember past memories they are usually devoid of people and I can see all the details though. Very visual. But I never try and go through a storage system in my mind to remember things. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

I've seen lots of topics about this sort of thing and I don't really understand. I do not have a system where I consciously store things or can go and pick things out to look at like I'm at a library or something.

When I remember past memories they are usually devoid of people and I can see all the details though. Very visual. But I never try and go through a storage system in my mind to remember things. Maybe I am misunderstanding.
I wouldn't say I go through a storage system either, but the sensation if interconnectedness between memories and arrant thought particles is, for me, quite palpable.

I use the more traditional tag system. Nearly all memories are tagged by place, sometimes by people in them.

New Threads

Top Bottom