• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clumsy Hit A Peak

ems

Dropped my cup of tea.

When I say I dropped it, I was actually holding it successfully, and planning to move it, put it down somewhere else.

Had no problem.

Suddenly, within 3-4 seconds doing this, my brain sent an OPPOSITE signal to my hand ordering me to drop it.

Honestly.

It's as stark as that.

I had no intention of letting it go from my firm grip.

Suddenly, without warning, my hand let the cup of warm tea go. Completely.

The exact & sudden opposite of what I was trying to do.

My wrist went limp, fast as lightening, and all my fingers completely relaxed.

I was in shock, just staring at my drenched legs and spilt on couch: and digesting what the hell just happened and why.

Picture of removed wet pants and empty tea cup (and soggy baby wipes) tells the story... minus the scrubbed up mess patches on floor & couch)

Anyone else?

Note: It's only when I began taking notice of this regular occurrence that I really noticed how frequently it happens.... When I stopped brushing it aside every single time...

Attachments

• IMG_20170919_162750.jpg
    IMG_20170919_162750.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
Interesting Ems, at one time or another I've misjudged how close my hand is to many things. Doorways, tables, furniture, dishes, plates of food. Do it most when I'm tired or distracted. Am never without a bruise or small cut. The most painful is 'stubbing' my toes on something. I hate that one.

I'm very good at being clumsy. But i may have met my match.

I'm more for saying the hand has a mind of its own. Always the same hand.

The Devils- left hand.

Dropped my cup of tea.

When I say I dropped it, I was actually holding it successfully, and planning to move it, put it down somewhere else.

Had no problem.

Suddenly, within 3-4 seconds doing this, my brain sent an OPPOSITE signal to my hand ordering me to drop it.

Honestly.

It's as stark as that.

I had no intention of letting it go from my firm grip.

Suddenly, without warning, my hand let the cup of warm tea go. Completely.

The exact & sudden opposite of what I was trying to do.

My wrist went limp, fast as lightening, and all my fingers completely relaxed.

I was in shock, just staring at my drenched legs and spilt on couch: and digesting what the hell just happened and why.

Picture of removed wet pants and empty tea cup (and soggy baby wipes) tells the story... minus the scrubbed up mess patches on floor & couch)

Anyone else?

Note: It's only when I began taking notice of this regular occurrence that I really noticed how frequently it happens.... When I stopped brushing it aside every single time...

I am a extremely easy going person and rarely get mad at anything. But there is one thing that makes me very mad, my extreme clumsiness. I am always dropping things or tripping over my own feet. As a kid and a younger adult, I played a lot of sports. I was just awful at sports. I have been very clumsy all of my life, so you would think that I would get used to it. However, now that I am a senior, it is worse than ever. The biggest reason I do not do a lot of the things that I used to is because of the very high probability of injury due to extreme clumsiness.

I tripped over this library shelf last week.
It was overhanging the walkway only slightly: I managed to actually seemingly AIM for it instead of walking through the Gap.

Pulled the unit arseways with my shoulder. Sent some of the DVD's flying off the top shelf.

Felt like a Vandal.

Cheeks flushing red imagining everyone was looking & judging when I was probably the only one doing so.

Attachments

• IMG_20170913_111236.jpg
    IMG_20170913_111236.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20170913_111158.jpg
    IMG_20170913_111158.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 0
I am not the most dexterous of people either and often drop or knock things over. Also often find I have minor cuts/bruises to hands etc. with no idea how I got them.

I have a lot of jerky movements, either single limb or whole body, that's my method of damage to myself or objects.

I have done what you have done but I have ataxia so that explains it. I regularly spill things and all my clothes get stained.

I am the clumsiest person ever and i so agree. Sometimes I pick stuff up only to have it go flying out of my hand and i dont even close to understand how that happens. I tell my brain to tell my body to do a thing and it's just like "DO THE OPPOSITE/MESS IT UP"

"DO THE OPPOSITE/MESS IT UP"

I'll tell myself not to touch the pitcher or glass or plate against the side of the porcelain sink. Nine times out of ten I don't break it, but I will at least break one thing over the course of a month. Sometimes when I tell myself not to do something like that, I almost automatically do it.

I tripped over this library shelf last week.
It was overhanging the walkway only slightly: I managed to actually seemingly AIM for it instead of walking through the Gap.

Pulled the unit arseways with my shoulder. Sent some of the DVD's flying off the top shelf.

Felt like a Vandal.

Cheeks flushing red imagining everyone was looking & judging when I was probably the only one doing so.

Ems your writing is so funny! I know this isnt funny but the way u described this is great!!

I walk into doorways and tall furniture a lot. It's like I forget I have shoulders and arms sticking out. I forget that I'm not just a floating head.

Also, re: spilling things and stains: This is why I wear mostly black clothing. It's not because I'm goth and spooky, it's because black doesn't stain.

New Threads

Top Bottom