• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothing issues for classes/Am I being unfair

Kevin L.

Hi Guys:

I've been very unsatisfied with my work situation, and have decided to return to college to take classes.

The school has assured me that they will accomodate my autistic disabilities.

Here's the conflict: A lab class requires that we wear a specific kind of long lab coat, which I find very difficult to wear because of the texture of the fabric.

Under other conditions, I might be able to tolerate it . . . but--as things stand--I have to do a lot of writing and math calculations, and I can't focus on my work while wearing this thing.

I went to the school's disability ombudsman, and was told "If we make an exception for you, then we have to do it for everybody. The lab is not a democracy."

I believe that I can get a lawyer to help me with this, but everyone thinks I'm an a-hole, as they see this as something trivial and stupid that I'm "Blowing out of proportion" simply because I can.

As fellow autistic people, am I the one who is in the wrong, like the rest of the world seems to believe?

If I'm being unfair to my school, then I want to hear it.

Would most people here be able to do complicated mathematical calculations and school work with ants crawling all over your skin? That's what it feels like when I wear my regulation lab coat.

Any ideas would be appreciated, even if you think I'm wrong.

Thank you for your time.

After I said something to a lecturer ,I've realised you won't be treated like other people who need accommodations ,I yawned and apparently, having asthma is not an excuse for yawning,so don't say anything

I think the under shirt is going to be the answer. Maybe a dress shirt with long sleeves that's been treated with fabric softener? Personal protective equipment and all that is likely required. Can you have the coat lined?

My experience with people, unfortunately, is that unless they have close or personal experience with something themselves, then they won't empathise or understand. Another member wrote here a while back (I can't remember who it was) that people's ability to empathise depends on how close they are to that experience. So if they experience it themselves, they are most likely to understand. If they have someone in their immediate family with that issue, they may also show greater understanding, but if there is no one in their family who has it, then don't expect them to understand. If they show willingness to accommodate you, then great, just don't expect it. If they are legally obliged to accommodate you, then you could remind them of that fact.

In this case, I would try to improvise, put a barrier between your skin and the coarse material of the overcoat, roll up the sleeve a bit, wear a soft scarf around your neck or a shirt with a collar that's going to be softer on the skin and that will keep the overcoat up off your neck. Perhaps those wrist bands that tennis players wear might help.

If long shirts are also uncomfortable, then it may be a case of having to choose the lesser of two evils - hot with undershirt, or uncomfortable with just the overcoat.

Unfortunately, with a science lab, the coat is a safety issue. What kind of science is it? If its chemistry, then yeah, the coat needs to be worn. Unless there is some way you can do your writing and calculations in the hall where you can shuck the coat and the teacher can see you (and make sure you aren't cheating); I don't see how they could make an exception for autistic sensory issues. This may require masking to get through, as much as that sucks. You could go the lawyer route of course, but by the time the lawyer gets anything done the class may be over. I dunno, just sucks. Try to find a way to tough it out is my recommendation. I have similar situations come up in the real world, and its not fun but learning to dissociate from the physical discomfort of clothing is a lifesaving skill right now. Good luck, let us know how things progress :)

Put on a cotton or linen dress shirt underneath. I know long sleeves are "stifling" to you but this will keep the ant feeling off. When you put on the lab coat, wear sleeve garters to keep the fabric off your wrists--then turn the collar of your dress shirt UP so that will keep the lab coat off your neck.

Want something a little softer? Prefer soft fabrics? Go get a silk or polyester ascot (if you're ok with these fabrics) and wear that. It will keep all the fabric off your neck--and look cool.

As for heat: acclimatization is helpful. Sweating keeps us cool. Americans do not like to sweat, usually, but sweat on a windy day will cool you off. Feels weird but it is something that can be worked up to.

Stay strong brother & we all hope things work out. I would suggest borrowing a lab coat or two, preferably ones that fit, and take them home & see if you can work out a way to wear them.

Not really. Long sleeve shirts are stifling, and just having the fabric touching mu necks and wrists is very uncomfortable.
I wear pyjamas made of thin cotton ,but don't wear cotton underneath polycotton or polyester, the constituent fibres have opposing heat properties ,get an exact fibre garment for underneath or your metabolism will work too hard to regulate your body temp, try and get an old cotton lab coat ,then !get a thin cotton pyjama top

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try to figure out something.

I have a problem with getting intensely angry and upset when I try to do certain kinds of schoolwork.

As an example, I have had problems in a chemistry lab class because the flourescent lights cause me problems when I try to view color changes in sediments and solutions.

The professor would read the color changes for another student because this student had some form of color blindness, yet he wouldn't read the color changes for me because of my sensory issue with autism and flourescent lights . . . and everyone wants to dismiss my anger at this situation as an "autistic emotional problem" or a "meltdown."

I have a problem with getting intensely angry and upset when I try to do certain kinds of schoolwork.

As an example, I have had problems in a chemistry lab class because the flourescent lights cause me problems when I try to view color changes in sediments and solutions.

The professor would read the color changes for another student because this student had some form of color blindness, yet he wouldn't read the color changes for me because of my sensory issue with autism and flourescent lights . . . and everyone wants to dismiss my anger at this situation as an "autistic emotional problem" or a "meltdown."

Meltdown/autistic emotional problem is an accurate way to describe that. As someone who had problems with that in the past I think that they're curable. It's not a pleasant state to have but it is fixable.
Blue light filtering glasses help a lot! I wear them all day and it keeps me actually able to go out in society and able to see. I also wonder whether you'd do better wearing (don't laugh) an eyeshade. The green celluloid eyeshades were invented to deal with the harshness of gas lights and bare filament bulbs. They look weird but they might work.

Fluorescent lighting is kind of harsh sometimes, not to mention noisy.

Getting angry while doing certain schoolwork sounds like it would help if you could find a way to get away from the anger-causing stuff--replace angry associations with positive ones--and keep going. Do not give up. You're certainly smart enough for your lessons; it's just blending in well enough to do it.

Try sunglasses for people with migraine at an ophthalmologist if Amber isn't the filter,try dark green ,then grey look for a fluorescent light in the room take some food colourants with you to recreate the lab conditions

If this is going to be the norm/requirement for this class/repeated coursework requiring a lab coat, you may want to purchase your own lab coat with preapprovial from the department head.

Order a better one online that is made from another fabric but is still made for lab work, or insist that the sensory issue with the fabric is like an allergy.

Get a doctor, social worker, etc to write a note excusing you from wearing it.

There used to be a material called gras or graz (ah) . It's a really fine weave cotton, it feels almost as light as silk. I have not seen it in a while. Maybe a turtle neck that's really soft?

I think it's really wonderful that you are going to school. It makes me admire you. I dont have fabric issues, most of the time I am grateful to even have a shirt! I hope you can find a way to make it work

True, go online order a lab coat that is a different cloth content. Or push sleeves way up on arms. Wear something very comfortable underneath coat. Or order a bigger coat online that you could sorta unbutton?

I had to wear a shirt for work that was horrible so l ordered a nice one online.

Try to come up with a solution that works for you.

Surely there are other kinds of lab coat material? They may not be able to allow you to not wear one (since it’s a safety issue) but they can surely be required to provide you with one you can actually wear.

If you say it the right way, it could read as a ‘helping them’ compromise. Talk to someone who knows their stuff, before broaching it, and see what’s available. Then, if they say ‘oh, I don’t know…’, you’ll have an answer ready.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

It's very difficult to communicate these issues to the school.

When I try to talk about these things to the disability office and/or the instructor, all I get is "Are you having a meltdown?" which--in my mind--isn't all that different from asking an angry female employee if the real reason why she's upset is because it's her time of the month.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

It's very difficult to communicate these issues to the school.

When I try to talk about these things to the disability office and/or the instructor, all I get is "Are you having a meltdown?" which--in my mind--isn't all that different from asking an angry female employee if the real reason why she's upset is because it's her time of the month.

That is pretty awful. Is there a higher authority you can complain to? Not listening to you clearly stating your own needs on account of them assuming you’re ‘having a meltdown’ is…. pretty discriminatory!

That said, there may be mileage in reminding them of that, in a friendly way. I don’t know how your in-person communication skills are, and whether you’d manage to pull that off, but you could also consider getting a trusted friend or relative to make that point for you if you don’t think you can.

New Threads

Top Bottom