• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cliches I’ve gotten debating Young Earth Creationists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
YEC: “You don’t think you came from dirt? Where do you think you come from?”

Me: “I came from my parents.”

YEC: “You have faith in evolution!”

Me: “I don’t. I just accept the evidence for Darwinian evolution.”

YEC: “You just want to sin so that’s why you believe in evolution!”

Me: “I don’t ‘believe’ in Darwinian evolution. Again, I accept the evidence for it. Also, define sin. Some people think it’s a sin to be homosexual but have no problem getting tattoos despite how that’s supposed to be a sin, too.”

YEC: “You think we came from a rock!”

Me: “Life formed from molecules. That isn’t “coming from” rocks.”

YEC: “Name any beneficial mutations from evolution!”

Me: “Empathy arouse from natural selection. That is what separated hominids from other animals.”

The truth is that no one knows the truth. How are you supposed to know where people came from? And just because you don’t know doesn’t mean that their beliefs are correct. Very strange conversation.

@Markness

I assume that you are citing these remarks, not to propose they be
debated here, but to show how hopeless you feel about "fitting in"
with local people in your area, due to differences of beliefs.

Why is it necessary to "debate" with them over these things?

Debates are special types of conversations, in contest form, where
one side wins and the other loses. A point system determines the
outcome. It doesn't establish *the Truth.* It just establishes who
won the talking contest.

Who starts these discussions aka 'debates'?

You are logical. So religion fails horribly in the logic arena. That's why it's called a faith. Lol

My grandmother brought me to the priest. I asked but how do you know god exists? I was a teenager. I can't believe in this if you have no proof.

Interesting conversation… I’ve seen your other posts about the people in your area being extremely religious and not feeling like you fit in. My family had the same experience, or, well, similar. My parents are Christians but they don’t take all this stuff at face value… they left their church because they didn’t agree with the church’s stance on homosexuality and transgender people, and there were also a lot of people in that congregation who were racist and antisemitic. We belong to a Unitarian church now.

You know if you look at it scientificily there is evidence to support the bodies creation from dirt. Given what's found in it.

@Markness

won the talking contest.

This is a very good point. There's no reason to get into these "debates," which aren't really debates, just hostile arguments. Markness should avoid them.

No two people are alike, and no two people are going to believe alike. Just focus on yourself and finding what you believe.

@Markness

won the talking contest.

I sometimes get approached and preached at or asked which church I go to.

I stay out of people’s way but these preachy types feel like it’s their job to proselytize for me.

You know if you look at it scientificily there is evidence to support the bodies creation from dirt. Given what's found in it.

The point for answering the first question was when people ask me personally where I think I came from, it’s my parents. Why? It’s just a simple biological reality.

I sometimes get approached and preached at or asked which church I go to.

I stay out of people’s way but these preachy types feel like it’s their job to proselytize for me.

How often do you reply with something like
*Thank you. I am not interested."?

Or even "Thank you for your concern. You've
given me something to think about."

This is a very good point. There's no reason to get into these "debates," which aren't really debates, just hostile arguments. Markness should avoid them.

How they came up is because the face of the YEC movement, Kent Hovind, has been sentenced to jail for body slamming his ex-partner and his hired dogs are defending him. I felt like I was repeating myself ad nauseam with these people so I should probably save my breath. It’s too precious.

How often do you reply with something like
*Thank you. I am not interested."?

Or even "Thank you for your concern. You've
given me something to think about."

I used to freeze or stutter when it happened so I haven’t really said either. I’ll probably go with the former as well as say something like “I don’t feel comfortable being approached by strangers in public.” because that’s the truth for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom