• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am a very indecisive person, so every Christmas I find myself facing an issue. What do I choose for Christmas? My family requirements are practical things, so I decided to apply that and ask for things that help soothe or something aspie related (who has on my list amounts to fidget toys). Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I think Christmas gifts should be related to your interests. For me I enjoy reading so I like getting books for Christmas.

As @tducey wrote, why not ask for gifts that will further your special interests. I know my special interest is rather expensive so I will take all I can get. Amateur radio is, by no means, a cheap hobby. I really want to do more work in HF but that requires a 1500.00 radio. I cannot afford that.

A raspberry pi (B+ as a main pc for 2 years) has gotten me into discovering a wide range of interests and skills, little things in that kind could be seen more like an investment. By now probably less useful in that way because it is much more sophisticated.

Noise cancelling headphones better do your own research and try them on in a shop or something, I bought some good ones recently and I love it

Stocks, depending on how you go with it really educative and useful

A drawing tablet, not really a thing for me

A Cas9 bio lab kit if your parents can afford it, the cheapest collections cost many thousands. Unfourtunately illegal in the EU for me.

Order a couple earplugs, if you like them get a large set.

A powerbank, can be really useful even if you have a nokia that lasts for an eternity

Things I would like as an Aspie:
Books
CD of soothing music (natural sounds of waves, rain, wind, leaves)
Exercise equipment: small trampoline, medicine ball, yoga mat, weights.
Construction headphones
More socks
Paints & brushes

I gave Dad this year's list last week.

There's 3 Xbox games on the list, but I've told him that I'd be happy with 2 out of 3, because I know he won't want to pay 50 quid for Soul Calibur 6.

Right, since OP said to like books, maybe an ebook reader, ebooks often are even cheaper or even free and don't require going out to buy them or waiting days for an order

Have one but don't use it all that much. Prefer real paper books, which are becoming much cheaper. Find them used in many places. Belong online to Abe books which are used and they mail them from many places in the world. Have six coming for christmas. E-readers are fine, but I use them mainly when I travel or have to wait somewhere.

Have one but don't use it all that much. Prefer real paper books, which are becoming much cheaper. Find them used in many places. Belong online to Abe books which are used and they mail them from many places in the world. Have six coming for christmas. E-readers are fine, but I use them mainly when I travel or have to wait somewhere.
I use both, both are better in different use cases.

A raspberry pi (B+ as a main pc for 2 years) has gotten me into discovering a wide range of interests and skills, little things in that kind could be seen more like an investment. By now probably less useful in that way because it is much more sophisticated.

Noise cancelling headphones better do your own research and try them on in a shop or something, I bought some good ones recently and I love it

Stocks, depending on how you go with it really educative and useful

A drawing tablet, not really a thing for me

A Cas9 bio lab kit if your parents can afford it, the cheapest collections cost many thousands. Unfourtunately illegal in the EU for me.

Order a couple earplugs, if you like them get a large set.

A powerbank, can be really useful even if you have a nokia that lasts for an eternity
The noise cancelling headphones are a mindblowing idea. Thanks a bunch!

I usually ask for books or, even better, book vouchers, so I can choose the books myself (I love reading). Like people already said, it's good to think of your interests and base your ideas for Christmas gifts on that. In terms of Sensory/Fidget toys, I have a couple I like personally, so I'll share them. Though you might have heard of/seen them already.

Rainbow ball where you can pop the little balls into different holes because there's one hole with nothing in it.
VO5h6nQMas._UX930_TTW__.jpg

Fidget Spinner (which you've probably heard of)
Products17341-640x640--325226405.jpg

Stretch Armstrong Dog
It's this stretchy dog that you can stretch and pull it's legs (it takes quite a bit of effort) and then it goes back into place by itself after a few seconds

IMG_1144.JPG

And also, I quite like weighted blankets or weighted soft toy animals, like these:

I had a meltdown when I was sent to hospital because I was missing my dog (he normally sleeps on my bed and he wasn't there when I was in hospital) and nothing could calm me down, but luckily one of the nurses found a weighted soft toy platypus, and that calmed me down pretty well :) So weighted animals like these are pretty good:

20171024_114225_1024x1024.jpg

And also when I was an outpatient, they had a weighted border collie called Jessie (I'm called Jessie too!) and she was gorgeous:
Weighted-Border-Collie-1.png

I wish I could ask for and get exactly what I wanted. Or that I could just ask for money so I could get specifically the things I want.

I also wish other people would be happy just telling me exactly what they want.

Yeah, my ebook is awesome, although the issue is... I have one...

My wife and I are voracious readers but she prefers ebooks these days for her own reasons. I always get her a Google Play gift card at every present giving opportunity so she has a ready supply of books when she wants them. She always appreciates it (and it's not the only gift I give by far ;) )

I usually get some money from relatives and if it is a good year, I'll buy some music and some Christmas treats (food), if it's a bad year, it goes towards paying bills.

Prefer real paper books, which are becoming much cheaper.
I miss you, Mia. You’ve been my refuge at times. Also, I want to add that books have a smell about them, too, which you can’t get online. <3 Hope you’re well. I’m doing okay, but stressed worrying about other people when really I shouldn’t be, but can’t help it. @No Strings Attached you could try the ‘lame’ vouchers for maybe Amazon to buy something like a relaxing CD or a trip away to a spa for the afternoon. The lists are endless. <3

I usually ask for books or, even better, book vouchers, so I can choose the books myself (I love reading). Like people already said, it's good to think of your interests and base your ideas for Christmas gifts on that. In terms of Sensory/Fidget toys, I have a couple I like personally, so I'll share them. Though you might have heard of/seen them already.

Rainbow ball where you can pop the little balls into different holes because there's one hole with nothing in it.
View attachment 50030

Fidget Spinner (which you've probably heard of)
View attachment 50031

Stretch Armstrong Dog
It's this stretchy dog that you can stretch and pull it's legs (it takes quite a bit of effort) and then it goes back into place by itself after a few seconds

View attachment 50033

And also, I quite like weighted blankets or weighted soft toy animals, like these:

I had a meltdown when I was sent to hospital because I was missing my dog (he normally sleeps on my bed and he wasn't there when I was in hospital) and nothing could calm me down, but luckily one of the nurses found a weighted soft toy platypus, and that calmed me down pretty well :) So weighted animals like these are pretty good:

View attachment 50034

And also when I was an outpatient, they had a weighted border collie called Jessie (I'm called Jessie too!) and she was gorgeous:
View attachment 50035
Thanks for the suggestions! The fidget options are amazing!

New Threads

Top Bottom