• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Christian Conversion Experience

InPrincipio

Not all those who wander are lost
I know this is maybe a strange question for some. I will explain it a bit differently, without forming it like a question (which was very difficult to put into a poll, btw).

I have always wondered if there are many people (NT or AT) who genuinely believe because of a strong, deep-seated understanding that we are God's people (chosen) and it is based on nothing in and of ourselves, but solely because we are gifted with faith and indwelt by His Spirit. The Bible says that God always preserves a remnant, and the New Testament speaks of the Few. I can see that many biblical people appear to be AT, and they are willing vessels for God to do great things. I have felt the calling myself to do things, and I have experienced the prophetic calling. It is a difficult "place" to be, and not too many others understand it, let alone the fact that I am also an Aspie. What a combination!

After my conversion at age 28, I acquired a strong distaste for my old life, and I think that having Asperger's caused me to go to the extreme sometimes (e.g., black and white thinking; or sharing things that I thought others would understand, like the supernatural, etc.). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I was also converted when I was 28 years old. I certainly believe God keeps a remnant. It is so difficult when I read posts from so many autistics who claim not to believe in God and they even sound like they hate him. That is why I came here looking for some Christians.

I've been a believer for almost forty years now, so I understand how you feel. I think the challenge for those on the spectrum and faith is that it is illogical to have such faith; those on the spectrum tend to be logical and trust in the tangible. .

Thank you for your feedback.
I know it sounds weird and outside the actual definition of tangible, but I have always viewed God as tangible. He is not outside of my senses “to touch” though not in the usual manner, but certainly in a personal manner. After all God did come to earth for that very reason, so we could “know” Him and Him us.

I personally find it odd when aspies don’t believe because I have always seen us as truth seekers. Settling for a lie or a good deception does not make sense to me. I would seek out a matter until I knew the truth. God is Truth. He came to earth in bodily form. Jesus said He is the Truth and no man comes to the Father except through Him. We can know the truth. We can know God. It is logical to seek and obey God.

I've been a believer for almost forty years now, so I understand how you feel. I think the challenge for those on the spectrum and faith is that it is illogical to have such faith; those on the spectrum tend to be logical and trust in the tangible. As a believer I am troubled by that because of the state of those souls, but as a person I find many of the comments and hostility offensive. If one does not wish to believe then that is their choice, but I see no reason or constructive purpose to attack one's faith in an attempt to dissuade them as though their personal faith is an affront.
I think it may be because a lot of people want to believe. But they can't suspend logic. The logic of atheists is very poignant and growing. But many don't want to not believe. Believers who are now atheists say they went through hell to become atheists. Not all. Some just walk away. But maybe the hostile ones have a variety of feelings of wanting to believe, feeling deceived when they did believe, thinking it was a waste of time, maybe they were abused by clergy.....it's endless. Just offering some reasons why maybe some are hostile. If anyone would like to correct me on anything, that is ok.

But they can't suspend logic. The logic of atheists is very poignant and growing.

I believe God. I do understand from first hand experience how painful this is to not be able to "know" God or "find" God. I spent years (I truly believed) searching for God and never even coming close to "finding" him... until one day while I was talking to God and explaining why I needed to kill myself (the pain was just too great and unending) and God spoke to me (not audibly but in my spirit). It was God, not my mind talking. I was explaining to him how I had tried everything, but I could not figure out how to be born again. I was lost and it was not my fault. That was my argument anyway and I truly believed it. But God said to me (very gently) "No you have not tried everything. You have never really sought me." I was getting ready to argue with God because I knew I had really tried. But then God revealed to me that I had not ever really truly tried to find him. I looked for God under my own terms. I wanted a God of my own making. Whenever I would encounter a real Christian (someone God dwell inside of and I knew God was in these people) I turned and went the other way. At any point I could have walked up to any of these people and simply said "I know God dwells inside of you. I want this same Jesus to live in side me then God would have immediately come inside me. It is really that simple. The difference is then I would truly be asking God to come live in me. But that God, the God I never could find, I went the other way every time I saw him.

We cannot find God by intellectualizing. We do not need to intellectualize if God exists. He made it plain. We need to acknowledge he exists and seek him while he still may be found. The day is coming when it will be to late.

But I would never approach anyone who I knew was a Christian and ask for this same Jesus to dwell in me. I would turn and go the other way. I kept my distance from these people. I was afraid of the power. Oh yes, I said the sinners prayer many times. I cannot count the times I said it. I repeated it back to pastors, I read the salvation tracts, but God never came to dwell in me during any of those times. The truth is, I really didn't want him to live in me. I was self deceived. I wanted a god of my own making, not the creator of the universe who came down from heaven to lay down his life to pay for my sins. I didn't want the ultimate authority that will one day judge all of mankind because he said he would and as creator it is his right. I defied authority. But when God spoke to me that day and I saw the truth. I purposed in my heart that I would seek God in places where I knew I would find him. and I started to attend a church that seemed to know God. I did not know any true Christians during this time in my life.

And yes, I know that is sounds weird that I was talking to God and told him I would seek him and if I found him I would tell everyone God was real, but if I didn't find him and I found out it was all a lie I would tell everyone that too. None of this occurred to me at the time that I was already talking to God. I find that the most amazing part of all. Kind of reminds me of Balaam's donkey talking to him in Numbers 22:21-39. Even when God spoke through the donkey Balaam still had difficulty understanding he was not to do the evil he was preparing to do.

Romans 1:18-22
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. 19For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 21For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Claiming to be wise, they became fools,

Last edited:
Why is God mad at people who are "bad?
God is not mad at us. he will one day judge all who rejected him, but that judgment is not for those who accept his invitation to the wedding feast to the bridegroom. Every who does evil against widows, orphans, or those who are defenseless will be punished severely. That is why he says "Vengeance is mine. I will repay." He will. Salvation is simple, not complex. We go to him as a child and ask him to come dwell in us. We ask him to help us even to ask him this. I ask God to help me with every step on many things just because I will complicate everything. God will actually walk us all the way through the process. he gave his life for us. He wants us to receive the salvation he paid for with his blood. It is Satan who tells us God can't love us or does't love us, but that is not what God's word says. We need to believe God and not the devil.

New Threads

Top Bottom