• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Chris Packham: Asperger’s and Me review: a moving reminder of how autism is still misunderstood

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Chris-Packham-1.jpg

Chris Packham has an extraordinary bond with his pet poodle Scratchy (Photo: BBC)

Chris Packham last week accused the Daily Mail of deliberately attempting to make him “look a freak”, as they ran the headline ‘My pet poodle is more important to me than my girlfriend, says Springwatch presenter Chris Packham’.

The newspaper’s refusal to focus on more crucial points about his condition raised in their interview illustrated society’s distinct lack of understanding of people on the spectrum.

During the documentary ‘Asperger’s and Me’, Packham tries to explain what it’s like to live with the condition as he explores his often difficult formative years – while criticising society’s desire to change the individual living with autism, rather than adapt to them.

Throughout Asperger’s and Me, Packham meets with medical professionals attempting to treat people living with autism.

It’s when the naturalist and TV presenter is talking to a pioneer of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) that an ugly professional view on autism rears its head.

Applied Behaviour Analysis: “The process of systematically applying interventions based upon the principles of learning theory to improve socially significant behaviours to a meaningful degree, and to demonstrate that the interventions employed are responsible for the improvement in behaviour” (Center For Autism)​

The scientist draws comparisons between autism and cancer, branding his preferred method of treatment, ABA, as “educational chemotherapy”.

“Curing autism would be a dream”, he says to Packham, who was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome in 2005.

Packham successfully bites his tongue, but is clearly agitated by the statement. He dismisses ABA, which attempts to “stamp” autistic behaviours out of children from a young age in often stressful, sensory rich environments.

Packham, who lives on his own with his two dogs in the New Forest, insists there is a far simpler treatment: “For people like myself with Asperger’s there’s a simple therapy and that’s just live on your own.”

Packham’s idea of retreating from society might seem extreme to someone not living with the condition, but for him it makes perfect sense.

Curiously, children living with autism are rarely asked how they would like to treat their condition.

The documentary raises the question: why force people with autism to adapt to society, when we can adapt society to include them?

Packham on living (and working) with autism

Throughout ‘Asperger’s and Me’ Packham explains how he has wrestled with the condition throughout his life, struggling to deal with sensory overload and failing to understand social cues.

However, he determinedly points out the extraordinary and rarely publicised positives of living with autism.

His bond with nature is explored; an obsession that allowed him to develop “an encyclopedic knowledge of the natural world”.

This knowledge would allow him to gain his first role in television as a presenter on The Really Wild Show in 1986. “I realise now that there’s no way that I could do my job without Asperger’s… because of my neurological differences.”

Fewer than one in six autistic adults are in full-time employment in the UK, but Packham insists that the gifts that the condition can deliver simply aren’t being explored.

During a visit to Silicon Valley Packham talks to the author Steve Silberman about the benefits that autistic people can deliver for society, when society adapts to them. “People with autistic traits made this place happen,” notes Silberman.

Chris Packham: Asperger’s and Me was broadcast on BBC Two on 17 October at 9pm and is currently available on BBC Iplayer.

Source: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/television/chris-packham-aspergers-autism/

However, he determinedly points out the extraordinary and rarely publicised positives of living with autism.
I am from the U.S. and had never heard of Chris Packham, however, I watched this documentary on YouTube after seeing it mentioned as a topic on this site. I may be wrong, but I believe in the U.K. Aspergers Syndrome is more widely known and diagnosed than here in the states. With that said, it still seems to irk professionals worldwide that they are unable to find a cure for it. Me, I'm looking for a cure for arrogant, egotistical, and just plain stupid "professionals. Living with Aspergers was difficult for me as a child and as an adolescent for at that time it was not a recognized condition. But I survived...."What doesn't kill you makes you stonger." So true. I have grown into a strong Aspie woman who enjoys my interests and my ability to not have to rely on others to entertain me or be constantly by my side. I have learned much regarding life through books, nature, self- education, and observing NT's (one of my favorite hobbies). After decades I have come to an honest soul-searching revelation: I love who I am, I love the journey that made me into the person I am today. And I can honestly say that perhaps it was good that the diagnosis was not known at the time of my childhood/adolescence for I learned much by not having anyone treat me as if I had a disability. I don't look at high functioning autism/Aspergers as a disability but rather a gift which allows me to know myself along with my interests inside and out. I love my solitude and fortunately have been able to establish relationships as an adult although I spend most days alone for I prefer my loner self. For some reason which totally eludes me, too many NT's just can't wrap their minds around a content Aspie. Sometimes I think they envy us for we are so adept at self-sufficiency. Most of you on the forum have probably come across articles pertaining to famous people who may have been on the spectrum; Albert Einstein, Lewis Carroll, Charles Darwin, Mozart, and Michelangelo, just to name a few. Also there is speculation regarding contemporary famous people such as Bob Dylan, Steve Jobs, and Tim Robbins (again to name just a few). We are all a wonderful, creative, strong force in society; writers, artists, philosophers, mathematicians, scientists, and so much more. Each and every one of us is unique and possess gifts that we may be aware of or just have not tapped into yet. One doesn't have to be famous in order to find peace and contentment on the Spectrum. Watching a brilliant sunset or viewing the breathtaking autumn colors is a gift that no NT can grasp; not that they don't enjoy the same sights, however, they lack our heightened sensitivities along with our proclivity to really examine, enjoy, and know something, whether abstract or concrete, thanks to our "disability."

New Threads

Top Bottom