• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Children's first teeth

Toby77

Has anyone every heard of a child on the spectrum can have their first teeth come in with very bad tooth decay? Mostly their baby teeth. This was a discussion I had with a friend who has a child on the spectrum and they have very bad enamel problems and decay, even though they as parents have and are taking very good care of their child's oral health. I know I had very bad tooth positioning but I've never heard of this. They said their doctor told them this can be common. Any thoughts?

Hmm, I've never had any problems with my teeth other than a slight fender bender when I was 4...

Me & my cousin were riding around in our matching Jeeps (the kiddie battery operated kind) that we had got for our Birthday's when she got a wild hair & decided to test out how fast her's would go.
She lost control & smashed into the side of mine which propelled me face first onto the driveway.

It only knocked out one of my teeth but to a four year old, means the "end of the world".
I think I set a world record or something that day for the loudest screams!

Luckily I wasn't old enough to know cuss words yet.

Later, my adult teeth came in & I had almost forgot about that horrendous event until reading this.lol

Now, I'm quite a big seat belt advocator.
(⊙.◎)

My teeth are very poor. But I imagine plenty of NT peeps have poor teeth too. Bet someone somewhere has researched this...

Parents should give a baby some plain water or an unsweetened drink immediately after giving them milk or baby formula or juice to rinse the sugar from their mouths. Otherwise, the sugar promotes tooth decay. It's really important to do that before the baby naps or sleeps for the night. I don't think autism has anything to do with toddler tooth decay. NT children can get rotten teeth, too, if their mouths aren't rinsed with something to eliminate or at least dilute the natural sugars in milk or fruit juice. One of the worst things a parent can do is to put a baby or toddler down to sleep with a milk or juice bottle in their mouths.

Dental caries experience, oral health status and treatment needs of dental patients with autism

"Children with autism exhibited a higher caries prevalence, poor oral hygiene and extensive unmet needs for dental treatment than non-autistic healthy control group. Thus oral health program that emphasizes prevention should be considered of particular importance for children and young people with autism."

https://jada.ada.org/article/S0002-8177(14)63906-4/abstract

"People with ASD were more likely to be caries-free and had lower DMFT scores than did their unaffected peers. Significantly more patients with ASD than unaffected patients were uncooperative and required general anesthesia to undergo dental treatment."

Although this might seem confusing, it appears as if there are studies of autistic children who have dental decay, and others who do not. Think it might be dependent on the country, general health and dental care.

My teeth are very poor. But I imagine plenty of NT peeps have poor teeth too. Bet someone somewhere has researched this...
Yeah, I have been searching google and found an article stating it my be the body's inability to absorb zinc and copper.......but were not certain.

Parents should give a baby some plain water or an unsweetened drink immediately after giving them milk or baby formula or juice to rinse the sugar from their mouths. Otherwise, the sugar promotes tooth decay. It's really important to do that before the baby naps or sleeps for the night. I don't think autism has anything to do with toddler tooth decay. NT children can get rotten teeth, too, if their mouths aren't rinsed with something to eliminate or at least dilute the natural sugars in milk or fruit juice. One of the worst things a parent can do is to put a baby or toddler down to sleep with a milk or juice bottle in their mouths.
Their baby's teeth came through the gums with the start of decay. But I agree with everything you have said.

Tooth development happens in gestation.

Tetracycline; taken by mum before the fifth month of pregnancy, may cause the primary teeth to come in discoloured.

Genetics play a big part in tooth development as will good nutrition for mum through gestation.

The first parts of the primary teeth start to develop as early as six weeks into gestation.

From what I've read so far,
bacteria and plaque will be responsible for eating into and destroying the tooth enamel over time once the first teeth have erupted.

Poor little mites have a rough time of it when teething.
It would be easy to understand if some parents offered sugary drinks or snacks to soothe at this time?

The salivary glands do an excellent job of breaking down sugars in the mouth. Prolonged exposure may require the assistance of diluting sugars in the mouth with plenty of water, regular brushing and so on to help the salivary glands out.

It's also easy to understand the child having sensory issues relating to the mouth which in turn may have caries seen as 'common' ?

My first teeth were not good from the start.
I had the same thing in utero with the antibiotics. My Mom had pneumonia very badly in her third
trimester and was on Penicillin constantly for a long time, plus unconscious part of the time and poor nutrition as she couldn't eat during that time.

So my teeth had thin enamel, yellow and were in poor condition when they came in.
I was born allergic to penicillin because it was all through me before I was born.

New Threads

Top Bottom