• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coupe

*Trigger Warning for Shame and Internalized Ableism, and mentions of Food and Eating

I used to have this really great chewable pendant from Stimtastic (I highly recommend them, btw :)) that was circular and had a cloud image in the middle. When I learned chewable pendants existed and recalled that I used to chew on all kinds of things (plastic/rubber toys, pencils, erasers, even my own hair) as a stim when I was a kid, I began to think a chewable pendant might be a good idea. I actually tried several different ones before giving the cloud one a try, and it ended up being my favorite. It wasn't too soft and not too hard, and it had just the right amount of give. I chewed on it so much that small holes started to develop after a few months, though it was still functional.

Then I read something online that caused me to feel ashamed about needing a chewable pendant, and I stopped wearing mine. After awhile, I even gathered up all the ones I had and threw them out. I told myself that there were plenty of other ways I could stim; I didn't need to chew on something. Since I stopped using a chewable, however, I've noticed myself becoming more and more dependent on eating sweets for some kind of input/stimulation and becoming depressed when there are none. So I decided, who cares what anyone else says or thinks, this is what I need to do in order to practice self-care, and so I ordered a new chewable cloud pendant...it should be here in just a few days.

What this has taught me is that it's important to stim and get sensory input in *all* the ways you need to; not just a few of them. I hope I start feeling more regulated once my chewable pendant arrives, and that I'm still able to chew on it the way I used to....I've developed a receding gum line within the last year and sometimes cold foods/drinks and biting stuff hard makes them hurt. I don't bite stuff *too* hard, so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Good for you for allowing yourself to self-regulate naturally by stimming! Some of the “chewelry” out there is pretty great. Normal is a dryer setting. You be you.

I think I need to actively find ways to stim, I've suppressed all of my life. I think it would help me rebalance! :)

My cousin also mouths and chews to satisfy sensory input - bites his fingers, or puts anything in his mouth he can get a hold of. We got him a chew necklace and it works wonders. He just wears it around his neck and it's a great alternative distraction. Got it on Amazon for full price but saw it for 50% off right now for Cyber Monday! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BL7Z4K?th=1 Hope it'll help
1f642.png
:)

New Threads

Top Bottom