• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Chasing door to door sellers away?

ForestGumpett

In our small yard in our hood we have no trespassing signs but they ignore them.

Is is Aspie that I go after them screaming “Get the hell off my porch” if they refuse to leave? My better half thinks I freak about it too much, but I digress, they shouldn’t be there and they are trespassing!

My yard, my porch. Last guy got snippy and wouldn’t leave, I called the 3 dogs, our Pitt, our Dobie-Rotty mix and the 115 pound Italian mastiff Kept them at the door and this jack wagon said he was gonna kill my dogs (really stupid statement, esp in Texas!). Won’t post what I said after that, but with it being Texas you can figure it out we like out protection laws.

took LEO forever to get here but they got his info and I had pics.

Anybody else get freaky when strangers pass go away signs (english/spanish) and get pushy at your home/front door?

Last edited:
yuh, I get a bit of that here, complete stranger knocks and asks for something, first was food, second was water, had 2 in 9 months. It's like zombie world here. It's was hot weather so it's hard to pretend your not home with the screen door and lit rooms in use. Also caught a guy standing on the pavement staring at my place, he thought I hadn't seen him, but I saw his shadow, he dashed off (saw the shadow dash) and then 10 seconds later same guy strolls past doing the 'nothing to see here' folks, just strolling in the evening.

I don't want dogs so I bought some movement sensor security lights yesterday, haven't installed yet. Really bright light can help deter people.

I tell them I’m working from home, so regretfully I don’t have time, then I wish them a good day and close the door. I’m annoyed they show up, but I don’t lose my temper.

It's a great opportunity to spread the gospel. Maybe it's all a part of the plan? The boss is sending pilgrims right to your door.

Please be careful. Some creep meter reader dude pulled a weapon on my dog, he had one of those extensible batons. I was furious. I'm so glad that you didn't get hurt or go to jail.

I just stare at them and don't speak much. They leave pretty fast. One hairy hillbillie with a shovel in his hand, who just don't talk.

You don't ever have to lose your temper or do something rash. Just say "No thank you. I'm not interested.", and close the door. They will leave, and you can go about your day.

OR

If it's someone you don't recognize through the peep hole, just yell "Who is it?" And if they say they're selling something, or gathering signatures or something, just yell "NO THANK YOU."

Then you can go about your day.

My daughter is in a scouting organization and one time we were doing door to door sales. Someone had a sign on their door that said, "No Soliciting, Except Children". I liked that one.

Last edited:
We get a lot of companies who canvas the area for pool repairs, lawn care, garden and landscaping
and some spread the gospel people.
I look out the peep hole and just don't answer the door. They usually leave a pamphlet is all.
Amazon doesn't even ring the bell, so no problemo.

Looking at some of these posts on this thread, it is obvious some people live in nice, quiet neighborhoods,...others though,...the neighborhood is a bit "sketchy". When I clicked onto the thread I was like, "My biggest problem is simply interacting with a sales person,...wanting them to leave, turning them down, and still being polite." Then reading some people's posts, I am like, "OMG!" and "Seriously?!":eek::D I live in a quiet middle-class neighborhood on the outskirts of town. I feel like a sheltered little princess right now :D because I don't have to deal with any of "those types of people" at my door or on my property.

My biggest problem is "being nice and polite",...to a fault. After I realize they know I am home and I can't hide, I reluctantly open the door and end up listening to their entire sales pitch for several minutes, eventually trying to politely turn them down,...but then they want to discount the price and push harder for a sale. It's only then that I push back, and feel like a bit of a jerk. There are times when I can fake my not being home, hide, and not answer the door,...I actually prefer not interacting at all. Then, there are other times when I will simply look at my wife and have her deal with them. She is much better at being polite, but quickly putting an end to the conversation at the door. It seems like she gets a bit of a "kick" out of being rude to sales people, as she closes the door,...she turns around and looks at me with a devilish little grin on her face.

Intellectually, I know that I do not read people well,...and sales and marketing people can take advantage of that. My wife has had to interrupt, pull me aside, take the phone out of my hand, etc. So far, I haven't knowingly had an experience with people with "bad intent",...because I would innocently and trustingly just open my door to them. Granted, I still do have a bit of an intimidating physical presence about me, but that isn't going to make any true criminal with a gun hesitate to do whatever they intend to do. But, like I said earlier, I've had an opportunity to live in a nice quiet neighborhood away from most of that element.

Gonna second the polite approach: usually a simple "not interested, but thanks" or something of the sort with the door kept shut, because - if they are true salesmen - once you show any sort of interest they will not quit. I had to learn that the hard way, and being on the spectrum doesn't make things like this easy.

It's possible to be polite about it, even in Texas. It's also possible to get your day ruined by harassing a stranger you're making a sales pitch or convincing argument to on their own property OR by just being on their property in the first place uninvited, especially in Texas. Being a fellow Texan as well, I can attest to both.

Last edited:
I cannot be nice to criminals.

First, they are trespassing on someone else’s property. The property has signs in two languages (English is second language in Houston Texas, it just is - don’t ask).

Second, I was home alone. I did get the man next doors attention as he was in his garage and noted the seller standing in the street NOT LEAVING!!! He kept standing there and taking pic’s of our homes.
I do believe this seller was a criminal.

Here’s the point of my thread; Is it my aspergers that makes me freak out so much when strangers are in my yard?

Will note that I do live in a city with over 2.5 million and lots of crime and near the border, which, means lots more crime. Honestly, this is why we got the big dogs. Dogs are not our only source of protection but again, my point is someone just being in my yard that I do not know and will not leave? I chase them away, all the time. They are standing right next to a no trespassing sign?

Living outside of town I don't have much of a problem at all but when people do show up univited I first have to corral my dogs to open the door. Then my storm door has a built in screen and an upper window that moves up and down. When I move the window down the screen drops with it. When I push the window up the screen retracts. I keep this door and my inside door locked. The storm door is secured with a hook and eye and is pulled as tight as I can get it against the jamb. If I want to have a conversation I drop the window a little leaving the screen in place then move the window back into the up position when the conversation is over with or I can choose not to lower the window at all and force the person to speak to me through it. I never have to open the storm door. All this provides me some measure of safety. Also, being a mother, I have cultivated my "mommy" voice which brooks no argument. I don't have to lose my temper or be rude just use that voice. The voices of their own mothers hover in the air around them. That being said I don't have a problem confronting people who come onto my property especially with damage in mind. If someone poses a threat they meet the crazy old lady who is going after their ass. Few expect a woman to be assertive/aggressive in my experience.

I think this is one of the reasons why we got a front door nest camera. One- you can answer the door without actually going to the door. If it's sales people I usually just ignore or tell them through the speaker that I'm not interested. Two- for an anti-social Aspie like me, I don't have to interact with anyone if I don't want to.

Although, didn't Texas just pass the unlicensed open carry law? Just sayin'....

(OK that last part was jest, not suggesting to shoot anyone. But as a fellow Texan who's more of a pacifist, I've seen a lot of amusing trespassing signs that say stuff like: this house is protected by the 2nd amendment and the Lord, trespass and you'll meet both". I often wonder if these ever scare anyone away :p).

Last edited:
I wouldn't call what is being asked to be a futile plea. However between trespassers who are aggressive solicitors and those with criminal intent, you may have to be willing to become even more aggressive as a property owner to dissuade them from entering your property.

First off I'd review your state's trespassing laws and follow them to the letter. To have not only "no trespassing law signs, but also "No Soliciting" signs and those "purple paint marks" your state speaks of. In essence, show everyone who comes within eyesight of your property that you mean business, in the most explicit manner.

Follow the link below that covers both Texas and PA.:

Laws About No Trespassing Signs in Pennsylvania

I'd also do one thing that those with criminal intent will not like.

Be prepared to photograph each and every trespasser.

That may prove as intimidating as practicing open carry. Not only to make use of technology like "Ring" at your front door, but also to carry a camera by hand and point it in their faces.

As for taking advantage of your state's open carry laws, that too is an option. It may not prevent solicitors or criminals from entering your property the first time, but it's likely that there won't be a second time either. Something I've done in the past a few times myself. Some folks get really nervous to see you're packing, whether via open carry or doing a deliberately "sloppy" but legal CCW. You just have to make sure not to unholster and brandish your fully-loaded firearm. Humans with guns are far more frightening than any protective pooch- especially in a "stand-your-ground" legal environment.

Of course none of this is any guarantee that you can dissuade those with criminal intent. But legitimate solicitors and religious missionaries are more likely to avoid your property if they see you have legally "dotted all your i's and crossed all your t's". Where you can legally demonstrate that you have projected "adequate notice" to much of anyone prepared to trespass on your property. Leaving them without a legal defense that may get them off the hook in a court of law.

Last edited:
These people breach boundaries. I have issues with any boundary breaches and more issues with myself for failing to recognise when my own boundaries are being breached or worse still when I try to tackle them and fail.

These people breach boundaries. I have issues with any boundary breaches and more issues with myself for failing to recognise when my own boundaries are being breached or worse still when I try to tackle them and fail.

But the difference is that when these people breach those boundaries, they do so quite deliberately. Knowing that in general their presence is unwanted. They're testing those waters with each intrusion, banking on your backing down.

They have a fundamental right to carry out an alleged livelihood, but property owners also have a right to make them leave their premises. Where rather than listen to their sales pitch or outright scam, you have to insist they leave at once.

It's a different era, where the good old "Fuller Brush Man" is persona non grata. Make your sales pitch online or across a counter. And stay away from my front door.

Last edited:
This is sadly spot on. It's 100% the experience I had as a child vs. today about what happens when someone knocks on your door. While it's funny, what does it say about society then compared to now?

Personally I consider unannounced inquiries at my home to be a threatening thing.

When I was much younger and living alone in a studio apartment near Hollywood, I had a pair of Jehova's witnesses ringing my bell and pounding on the door. I was taking a shower at the time and I thought surely it was some kind of emergency. I answered the door, dripping wet, holding a towel wrapped around me. It was a pair of elderly female proselytizers who talked my ear off. I was bemused by this.

Finally one of them got around to trying to hand me a Watchtower newsletter. I reached for it with my right hand, the one holding the towel - which hit the floor. The second lady turned red and looked everywhere in the hall but at me. :eek:The leader just kept on her spiel about "living forever in a perfect body" (LOL!) as if nothing had happened. :cool:

I thanked them and closed the door.

Solution. NEVER ANSWER THE DOOR!!!!!!

I answer the door only if a parcel is expected. When there were issues with door to door sales at a place I used to live, I’d answer the door holding a baseball bat. Because once, a strange guy scared the daylight out of me: he attempted to force the door open & it was all I could do to close it before he entered my house. After that I decided if he came back I was gonna let him have a taste of my “hospitality.” Also I reported it to the local authorities.

^^^ This, what she said. I also have issues with people that breach my boundaries. It makes me uncomfortable. The laws I do know and am comfortable with protecting myself. It’s like Gift2humanity said though, I feel taken advantage of and get really upset.

I’ve been sick for so long and I’m a small person and others can see this. I do not open carry since I am small because someone could over power me easily so no open carry only concealed. Been shooting for at least 45 years and comfortable with that and of course the 3 large dogs. Was just wondering if this was an issue with others.

New Threads

Top Bottom