• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cause of Asperger's?

coincrusher

Has anyone seen or read anything re: the possibility of exposure of living in a newly constructed home as being a possible environmental cause of genetic mutation in the causation of Asperger's? I have read many papers that have stated a possible causation from Allele mutation as a possible cause of Asperger's. Neither my wife, myself or our families have any incidence of any Autism spectrum but our son (currently 12 yo) is "High Functioning Asperger's". My wife moved into her newly constructed home 1 month before becoming pregnant and my son was born the week we moved into my newly constructed house; i.e., so both his "incubation" and toddler years were spent in newly constructed homes containing all sorts of possible chemical irritants. I.E., my wife moved into her newly built home in November, she became pregnant within a month. 9 months later she moved into my newly built home and our son was born a week later. Just something that makes you got "Hmmmmmm". Anyone who may have read something connected to possible affects of construction "chemicals" being present that may affect developmental genetics is appreciated.

Hello @coincrusher and welcome to the community :)

I have to ask why this question is important to you? How will it help your son? What benefit to his future will this knowledge contribute to? How can you say with such confidence that nobody in the past 2 or 3 generations of yours and your wife's family is autistic in any fashion?

Perhaps the better question to be asking whilst introducing yourself to a community of autistic adults might be:
"What can I do to help ensure my 12 year old son isn't marginalised and gets allowed the same opportunities as allistic people as he grows up and joins adult society?"

Neither my wife, myself or our families have any incidence of any Autism spectrum but our son (currently 12 yo) is "High Functioning Asperger's".

To your knowledge.

The statement seems to be more likely a lack of awareness in an older generation, as well as a difficulty of labelling and a lack of self-perception within individuals.

Your other stuff - you seem to have fallen down a rabbit hole.

You're searching for some explanation - that can be understandable.

It is completely wrong,unfortunately.

It's not dissimilar to the logic an anti-vaxxer would use.

Continuing down this rabbit hole isn't going to help your son any imo.

Correlation is not causation.

Anyone who may have read something connected to possible affects of construction "chemicals" being present that may affect developmental genetics is appreciated.

I realise I was completely unhelpful with your initial query.

I can't seem to see the point.

If you get someone to 'agree' with you and find loads of information.

What difference will it make?

You going to sue somebody?

You going to feel relieved that it isn't your fault?

Welcome to the forums btw - I hope you choose to change tack, a wider world will open up to you.

Is it entirely hereditary, or can it be a result of one's environment? I saw one report on TV where a girl born to a drug-addict showed signs of autism, yet when her aunt took her in to raise her as her own, the girl kicked off the signs of autism. The girl was 8 at the time of the report. I'm suspecting one's environment could have an effect...but I doubt it'd be a "newly constructed home".

Is it entirely hereditary, or can it be a result of one's environment? I saw one report on TV where a girl born to a drug-addict showed signs of autism, yet when her aunt took her in to raise her as her own, the girl kicked off the signs of autism. The girl was 8 at the time of the report. I'm suspecting one's environment could have an effect...but I doubt it'd be a "newly constructed home".

One cannot become autistic after birth. One is born autistic or not - of that there is consensus, however it may be possible for environmental factors to contribute to co-occurring conditions (aka co-morbids) in childhood. There are some cases where autism is not inherited and is the result of random zygotic mutation from allistic source DNA as discussed elsewhere in a recent thread, but autism is genetic in nature, not a quality that can be acquired.The extensive research of the last few years has proved the genetic cause beyond any reasonable doubt, as a direct consequence of Wakefield's irresponsible nonsense suggesting the contrary. Those who wanted to prove an environmental cause have in fact demonstrated the opposite and done untold harm to the autistic community in the process.

Yes, it's hereditary. Scary to think that living in a new home is gonna mess with your DNA and brain wiring. But it's even scarier to think that someone out there comes up with that and convinces other people to believe it. I think when someone starts trying to dig for answers, they are searching for someone or something to blame. I agree with the above comments - just because there has been no diagnosis of autism, doesn't mean it hasn't been there. I, among many, was 59 when I figured out and was diagnosed. I worked, had a family, the whole bit - never once considering autism, but when I started learning facts about it (not myths) it was eye opening. Your son will need your healthy assistance and attitude to help him cope with this world - how to handle the noises, lights, bullying and so on.

John_Hewer_Captain_Birdseye.jpg

Base autism [p.k.a. Aspergers] is not a defect and, likely, hereditary.

It is the debilitating co-morbid conditions, like severe learning disabilities, that are on the rise. They appear to be the product of an environmental insult on already autistic individuals. Asynchronous gifted individuals are subject to the same insult.
Has anyone seen or read anything re: the possibility of exposure of living in a newly constructed home as being a possible environmental cause of genetic mutation in the causation...?
There are far more people being born with severe co-morbid learning disabilities than live in "newly constructed homes." That is only a first-world malady and not a viable contender for said environmental insult. PM me for a more likely suspect.

Last edited:
There so many theories as to what causes autism. All of them are ridiculous, except for the genetics one . These are just a few I've heard:

- Watching Peppa Pig.

- Dairy products. PETA had a "Got Autism?" ad that showed Cheerios floating in the shape of a sad face in a bowl of milk. Both their beliefs about milk and autism make me furious.:mad:

- God's way of punishing you because you vaccinated your child.

- Bad parenting

- Being vegetarian

- Not being vegetarian

- Cats

- Non stick cookware (seriously)

- EVERYTHING!

I doubt newly constructed homes cause autism which does appear to be primarily genetic in origin. But there are definitely undesirable gasses emitted by new carpet, and preservatives in wood and laminate materials, that are hazardous to human health, including formaldehyde and other toxins.

I see nothing wrong with the OP's questions and concerns and do not assume he is a bad father just because he asked intelligent questions. If toxic gasses in new homes contribute to autism or any other negative health effect in humans, then society needs to know that and take appropriate action to prevent or mitigate those chemicals.

Is anyone following the lymphoma litigation against Monsanto for its RoundUp weed killer? Or Johnson & Johnson's talcum baby powder which is full of asbestos fragments and causes ovarian cancer? There are dozens of those type products liability cases pending at any moment in the US. Lumber Liquidators recently settled a huge class action lawsuit for failure to disclose the toxic off-gassing from its lumber and laminate floor coverings. These things are real and need to be taken seriously.

Genetics caused mine. Dad has issues, Mom's family had issues going back so I had it on both sides. That's your cause for Autism.

I was born and grew up in an 18th century home... maybe old homes cause autism too? In fact, I bet every single autistic person on this forum grew up in at home built a some time... maybe all homes cause autism?! :eek:

Seriously though, autism is caused by genetics. It's been proven beyond reasonable doubt. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a history of undiagnosed autism in your family. If you want a reason for your sons autism, look in the mirror, or at your wife. The cause is staring you in the face.

New Threads

Top Bottom