• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Catch up

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
Long time no see for some of you, hello to new comers since I've taken a step back from this forum to focus more on life. Thought I'd make a thread about just how I've been getting on with life in the past year or so.

So where am I now? I currently have an apprenticeship in the ICT department of a prestigious boy's school close to where I live. I've been going this job now for just over two months and I'm getting on with everyone. I've started studying and so far so good. Some may know I have Tourette's Syndrome as well as Asperger's (You'll know now those of you who don't!) this has been accepted in the office and we all take it in good humour. There's an excellent chemistry in the office.

Why have I made this thread? Well, for a lot of people out there for multiple reasons will find themselves having negative thoughts on their future. I just want to tell people that I'm proof that all that negativity you tell yourself and that low self esteem is rubbish. I've been there and I can proudly say I've come out the other side now. I also have a girlfriend, we've celebrated our first anniversary and we're going strong.

You might find yourself thinking that good job or a partner will never happen to you. It can take a long time to get to that stage but it's a journey worth starting. If you struggle with getting a job then try doing what I did. Get a voluntary job. You don't need to work with customers in a shop. I found myself on a care farm. After a few years of that I was mentoring other people and when it came time to go for my apprenticeship interview my future employer said that I had a very strong application. I wasn't working with computers so much but I had to motivation to go things in my spare time and that helped a lot.

So just a short catch up of my past year. I've got so much confidence and ability now. I used to think I'd never live past 18. Now I have a girlfriend, a car and a job with a future. Things are going really well. If you find yourself in a hole and don't know what to do take this story as a bit of inspiration that if you start yourself on that road to positivity that you can end up in a great place too.

Take care of yourself. You're worth so much more than you think.

Hi,
I'm new here and am currently in a very bad break down but your post has just given me a lot more hope :) . Congratulations on all you have achieved, I'm so proud and happy for you! I hope all will continue to go well for you in your life :) .

Thanks for coming back and describing your success. It's easy to state the bad, and once things are going well, people never take time to update the improvement or outright success as in your case. Party on- and much more continued sucess to you.

Nice to see you again!
I'm glad to hear of you success.
I often wonder about those who post or ask for advice and experiences
then never hear from them again.
Thanks for remembering us and the updates. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom