• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cat Behavior

menander

My cat follows me everywhere I go and not even just into the next room. She will have to be within a foot of me at every moment. It really does drive me batty.

Is there something she needs? Why do cats cling so much? When she lived with my sister who had other cats, she just did her own thing. I am not sure I can keep her. I cannot even eat without her trying to get within 12 inches. She is a good cat, but oh my, the cling is unbearabe.

About a month. Non-stop rubbing and staring and clinging. I know she loves me, that's clear! :)
But, wow...

Separation anxiety of some sort perhaps.

Did she come from a shelter, might she have had a traumatic experience as a kitten, abandoned, abused, or got lost and now as you're her food provider she’s nervous that if you disappear her food source disappears?

I’ve had cats over 30 years and generally when they follow the owner they want reassurance, food, water or to be let out and once that’s provided, they curl up somewhere. It’s a little unusual in my experience to be followed around to the degree you suggest.

Has she always done this or is it new behaviour?

My fat old tuxedo cat does that to me when she wants food. She weighs 13 pounds so sometimes I just put her out the front door instead of feeding her. She at least has to run around the house to come in the pet door in the back of the house before she starts bugging me again.

if you think something is wrong, take her to the vet? a month is quite soon for ur cat to be loving you like that, but also each cat is different. im in the bathroom right now and my cat just sits here, but wont let me pet him haha.

You mention that she lived with other cats before... is she alone now? indoors? That might well be a reason. Clingy cats are often trying to comunicate a need and not just being affectionate.

If she will play with a ball, keep a couple of tennis or pingpong balls or even a ball made of crumbled up aluminum foil handy to roll across the floor. She may play with the ball for awhile and leave you alone. My cats love catnip and will gorge on it (I grow it in a pot on the patio) and run around like they're high, then fall asleep somewhere.

She sounds lonely. She's lost her previous owner and her friends, and she doesn't understand why or where they are. You represent security. Was she always an indoor cat?

My cat follows me everywhere I go and not even just into the next room. She will have to be within a foot of me at every moment. It really does drive me batty.

Is there something she needs? Why do cats cling so much? When she lived with my sister who had other cats, she just did her own thing. I am not sure I can keep her. I cannot even eat without her trying to get within 12 inches. She is a good cat, but oh my, the cling is unbearabe.
Its change, now separation anxiety,the classic way! I saw for dogs and works the same for phobias ,is to leave the house for a minute ,then a minute and a half then two mins and so on and so on ,its desensitising

She sounds lonely. She's lost her previous owner and her friends, and she doesn't understand why or where they are. You represent security. Was she always an indoor cat?
She has been indoor and outdoor. It is odd because I had a little kitty also and she made it very clear the new little kitty was NOT allowed! She seemed to want it just to be me and her. I can't figure her out. Cats are a mystery.....

It seems to me after looking at all these links that she may be bored, more than lonely. SHe wants to be the sole kitty, but yeah----not a lot here. I will be looking into catnip and toys. :)

It seems to me after looking at all these links that she may be bored, more than lonely. SHe wants to be the sole kitty, but yeah----not a lot here. I will be looking into catnip and toys. :)
Learn cat psychology, cats are lone hunters ,female cats are the consummate hunter, being stuck in a house after having a family will be traumatising ,female cats are not focused on finding females to reproduce with, so they will stay with you !,try feliway for cats , catnip is good but doesn't last all day.
Do you have places to sleep in different rooms ,scratching post its a stress reliever ,grooming her is big for cats

the way my new kitten was when i picked her up from the side of the road, gave her a bath ,got rid of her fleas and so forth. they miss their moms i figure so i just let her do whatever she wants even sit on top of my head ,doesn't matter. you become a cat whisperer as time goes on. the cat taught me more about companionship that people ever did. im a little more patient now days. apparently they do have nine lives, sheesh, i'm just glad she's here.

Imagine being a kid and taken out of your home and placed in a new home with one new parent and one sibling. Just about everyone would take some time to adjust to the new situation. And not only the kid thats moving in but also the parent and sibling have to adjust. Family groups are a system and additions deletions disrupt it and it takes time for things to sort out.

Just be patient and kind. Try never to show anger or punnish small animals. It will not work and will most likely only make things worse. Things should naturely improve over time. But how much they improve and how long it will take are unknowns.

One basic rule to follow however is to reward when they do things you want, and not reward when they do things you don't. For instance if you don't like the cat rubbing up next to you, do not inadvertantly reinforce it by showing her attention or picking her up, etc. Just try to ignor it. But when you see her curled up snug at a distance make a point of stopping by and giving her a pet and encouraging word.

How old is she? A younger cat will probably need and want more interaction and stimulation. Also cats have their own personality and emotions so it might just be how she is.

How old is she? A younger cat will probably need and want more interaction and stimulation. Also cats have their own personality and emotions so it might just be how she is.
She is a bit older, so I don't think it's that. I think it may be she is bored. When she was with other cats she may not have liked it, but it wasn't boring!

She is a bit older, so I don't think it's that. I think it may be she is bored. When she was with other cats she may not have liked it, but it wasn't boring!
Ok. Hopefully other peeps on here can give you some suggestions then. One thing I can suggest is to have places inside for her to scratch her claws and you can also put pots of cat grass inside to. We have four pets so we have about six pots of catgrass outside growing and we change them up as the pets nibble down the grass inside.

New Threads

Top Bottom