• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Career Progression

Rasputin

ASD / Aspie
V.I.P Member
Just looking for ideas here. I’ve had an okay career that has spanned more than 30 years, and despite consistently high performance in every position I have held I have never risen above the Supervisor level. When I was a Supervisor, I had an employee who told me I lacked empathy. I am now 61, employed as a Sr. Business Analyst, and have been with this company for eleven years. At my age you can not change jobs easily, and there is the perceived lack of career progression. I am just wondering how I can advance my career, of if I should just be “happy” and not rock the boat?

I suppose that depends on the "carnivorous nature" of your working environment.

That if you raise your profile, how many of those "young turks" you're competing with will seek to undermine you simply because of a perception that at your age, you should be mothballed.

Proceed with caution. Ageism being a very real consideration.

I suppose that depends on the "carnivorous nature" of your working environment.

That if you raise your profile, how many of those "young turks" you're competing with will seek to undermine you simply because of a perception that at your age, you should be mothballed.

Proceed with caution. Ageism being a very real consideration.

Its not so much the young turks that concern me, as it is management looking for ways to cut operating expenses. Either way, caution seems to be advised.

Its not so much the young turks that concern me, as it is management looking for ways to cut operating expenses. Either way, caution seems to be advised.

Yeah. I've been through that as well. Sometimes you just have to keep your head down and soldier on...

New Threads

Top Bottom