• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Car art work

I know Von Dutch is rolling over in his grave as his heirs put his label on t-shirts and fashion nonsense

I painted the deck on my antique boat once with Metalflake brand flake and lacquer...it requires using a spraygun equipped with a huge nozzle and ball bearings in the paint cup to keep it agitated...after the flake coat dried,you smoothed the flake down with your hands...then it took nine million coats of clear to level it and a month to dry before it could be wet sanded for the final clear coats...very pretty,very nice and very time consuming...My Buick I posted in my picture files was painted with bright blue pearl over arctic white after the first wreck... the car glowed under streetlights with blue neon highlights ... insurance adjusters hated me...laughs

I finished a huge 8 foot x 18 inch cherry coffee table I am making by using automotive tools and techniques as a way of gaining a proper finish on it...I asked some cabinet makers how I should do it as I am not a wood guy...I was not satisfied with their answers and told them that if I was ever to paint their classic cars,I would wet sand the paint with a brick like the pro advice I got for finishing wood...my finished table will be too pretty to use....laughs

The scary part is watching exceptional pinstripers make it look so easy when it isn't easy at all.

I finished a huge 8 foot x 18 inch cherry coffee table I am making by using automotive tools and techniques as a way of gaining a proper finish on it...I asked some cabinet makers how I should do it as I am not a wood guy...I was not satisfied with their answers and told them that if I was ever to paint their classic cars,I would wet sand the paint with a brick like the pro advice I got for finishing wood...my finished table will be too pretty to use....laughs

My hobby is "wood finishing" and antique furniture restoration; I consider myself an amateur "woodworker" even though I have a lot of fancy woodworking equipment. (Mostly I use it to fabricate replacement parts on old furniture.) One thing I have learned is most woodworkers hate finishing and don't know how to do it correctly. Woodworkers put so much effort into perfecting their woodwork techniques they are typically afraid to do any finishing lest they ruin all their hard work. Usually they subcontract the finishing and even though they hate doing it themseves they expect it to be done cheaply. If they do their own finishing they most often use a wipe-on oil that is nearly goof proof but also offers essentially no protection. Sometimes a wipe on oil finish is the right one depending on the wood and effect you are looking for.

Even "professional finishers" are often incompetent. The finishers for new construction are usually the painters and they just spray a finish on without using any real craftsmanship. The public typically does not know what a good finish is supposed to look like so these painters get away with poor quality results.

Even quality furniture is often finished in the most expedient way and not in a way that brings out the best in the wood. In the old days wood was carefully selected and hand matched for even graining and color. Nowadays they usually bleach out all the color then apply a dye to make the finish come out evenly colored. It is faster and cheaper.

I use festool sanders mostly; I have never heard of using a brick. I prefer to use transtint dyes followed by an oil based stain and maybe a glaze with a shellac or lacquer topcoat. I despise polyurethane.

Cherry is tricky because the different densities in the wood absorbs stain at different rates. Next time you have a wood finishing question feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I can.

Last edited:
Thank you Loomis...Their suggested methods of achieving a finish reminded me of the quality they got finishing wood...using a brick would not be a recommended method in any way,mostly just a joke for the car guys...again,after looking over what you stated,I realized I only applied linseed oil and do not want to ruin my woodwork with a more durable finish...there are natural rotted holes in my plank towards the center of it...I have finished tempered glass to place over them and to act as coasters on a table that will be off limits to food or drink...the mancave in the garage will be for the pigs to trash at will...laughs

I know this is an old thread, but this is really nice stuff. I miss the lowrider and classic car culture of Southern California. There were some really beautiful cars there. Up here, seeing a tricked out classic car is like finding a unicorn.

New Threads

Top Bottom