• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can't stop thinking of Friend

dspoh001

So this is probably going to sound kinda creepy. I met this new friend about a month ago over spring break and I'm really struggling to stop thinking about her. We are in different parts of the state. She's really bad at responding to text messages, and so I started this set up with her where at the end of every time that we speak on the phone (usually about 20 minutes or so every few days), I ask her when the next time that she'd like to speak is. That way I don't overwhelm her by just calling whenever.

I have a feeling that this is going okay. The part that bothers me is that I think about her nonstop. Today for instance, I went and bought her a birthday present when her birthday isn't for another six months. I don't plan on giving it to her for a while, but still. I just think about her so much that it seems that when I am not talking to her I'm just passing the time waiting for the next time we talk.

I know this is really unhealthy, but she's a good friend and I'd like to continue to build up a friendship with her. So I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about how to focus on my own life better. I feel that it is common for people with Asperger's to have obsessive thoughts. I don't want the thoughts to go away all together, just enough to allow for it to continue to develop into a healthy friendship.

I could have written that a decade ago. I can relate.

In my case, I looked for positive external validation as my sole sense of purpose in the world. I am not saying that is the necessarily case with what you are going through, however, because I have no way of knowing that.

But, in my case, it was not until I was able to start learning how to show myself the same degrees of grace and dignity that I would allow almost any other man that I was able to not feel so attached to anybody who was willing to hang with me.

So, in my experience, not putting friends on a pedestal over my head required that I saw how any healthy friend would want me to see myself as. An equal.

Quite honestly that sounds like love.. and nearly normal.. from what I gather..

If you do have issues in general with putting others before yourself I may understand.

In my case, because I was so quite, I began to feel useless and become what you can call depressed. I think my sense of low self worth made me feel that I owed the world something.. A lot of times I put others above myself.

For example I would work off the clock at work, not sitting even for a 11 hour shift.. One day my boss told me that my health comes first, company second.. made me wake up and realize that if that was coming from him....it must be right.. I was neglecting myself.

However in this specific case with the girl you are talking about.. It seems like you have a genuine reason to be thinking about her. I'm assuming you are young, and the feeling you are describing is one which is love. I mean you dont even know her.. but thats how it goes.

When you seek to create a friendship you give some of yourself to others.

Not meaning in a perverted way But meaning you treat them as they are equal to or greater , and if you dont notice anything back after a while you gotta cuttem out. Its a shame but thats how it is. There are lines between maintaining friendship and self worth. Everythings fine to a degree.

I felt like this with a boyfriend.

In fact, I could not function unless I heard from him. So it was a case of: not eating or drinking and dragging my heels and then, the phone would ring and if it was me who picked up and heard his voice, it was like time stood still and I felt like I was in heaven lol and even more when he said something like: do you want to go for a drink?

Or if my gran picked up ( I was living with her), I would wait with abated breath, and when I heard: it is Osie ( Osman) on the phone for you, honestly, I just dropped everything and rushed to the phone and then, from not being able to stomach food or drink, I was gorging!

It was both exciting and awful and in truth, I am so glad I am past that now and in fact, he got in touch 2 year's ago and it was so nice to have my thoughts realised, that I am no longer in love or obsessed with him, but it took YEARS to get this way.

My advice is to not tell her what is going on, because it could creep her out; depending on how she feels about you and if it is truly "friend zone" then, she will think it weird.

By the way, why is she lousy at responding to messages?

I felt like this with a boyfriend.

In fact, I could not function unless I heard from him. So it was a case of: not eating or drinking and dragging my heels and then, the phone would ring and if it was me who picked up and heard his voice, it was like time stood still and I felt like I was in heaven lol and even more when he said something like: do you want to go for a drink?

Or if my gran picked up ( I was living with her), I would wait with abated breath, and when I heard: it is Osie ( Osman) on the phone for you, honestly, I just dropped everything and rushed to the phone and then, from not being able to stomach food or drink, I was gorging!

It was both exciting and awful and in truth, I am so glad I am past that now and in fact, he got in touch 2 year's ago and it was so nice to have my thoughts realised, that I am no longer in love or obsessed with him, but it took YEARS to get this way.

My advice is to not tell her what is going on, because it could creep her out; depending on how she feels about you and if it is truly "friend zone" then, she will think it weird.

By the way, why is she lousy at responding to messages?

Well, she's come straight out and told me from the beginning that she just doesn't like to text. I don't think that it's anything personal, she just doesn't like it.

Quite honestly that sounds like love.. and nearly normal.. from what I gather..

If you do have issues in general with putting others before yourself I may understand.

In my case, because I was so quite, I began to feel useless and become what you can call depressed. I think my sense of low self worth made me feel that I owed the world something.. A lot of times I put others above myself.

For example I would work off the clock at work, not sitting even for a 11 hour shift.. One day my boss told me that my health comes first, company second.. made me wake up and realize that if that was coming from him....it must be right.. I was neglecting myself.

However in this specific case with the girl you are talking about.. It seems like you have a genuine reason to be thinking about her. I'm assuming you are young, and the feeling you are describing is one which is love. I mean you dont even know her.. but thats how it goes.

When you seek to create a friendship you give some of yourself to others.

Not meaning in a perverted way But meaning you treat them as they are equal to or greater , and if you dont notice anything back after a while you gotta cuttem out. Its a shame but thats how it is. There are lines between maintaining friendship and self worth. Everythings fine to a degree.

I have a crush on her, but I know that it would be disastrous to tell her that. I'm just not that good at taking things slow sometimes.

When I make a new friend, I’m usually like this too. I think about them non-stop, I talk about them non-stop. I think it’s partially because I used to be the worst at making friends. Anyway, for me the semi-obsession fades after a few weeks, and drops to normalcy.

You didn't say whether you were attracted to her in a romantic way or not, although you only mentioned friendship? I've been through exactly this on a number of occasions in the past where the person effectively became my special interest, but for me it's always been a romantic interest too, although this can still happen for some autistic people even if this isn't the case as I will explain in the next paragraph. For the past 15 years or so this has been suppressed however and I feel better off single, but I have found these obsessive thoughts virtually impossible to break in the past, they can if you're not careful frighten the person away or much worse if the person is that way inclined they could use it to take advantage of you which has happened to myself too. It's good that you seem to be trying to limit yourself so you don't appear so obsessive, but I suspect it could still come across that way if you're not really careful. You also sometimes need to be a little careful that any obsession never crosses the line into stalking, I later realised when I was much younger and still at school that I did cross the line when I started remembering the timetable of the girl I was obsessively interested in so I could "accidentally" keep being there when she left class if I was able to make it in time from my class to intercept her on her route to her next class, back then I honestly didn't understand that it was wrong, in fact I even believed that she'd be impressed at my dedication once she noticed and I hoped she'd make a move on me because I didn't have to confidence to, but it obviously ended really badly. I learned from my mistakes however and at least know not to cross what can be a fine line now.

I have a friend who I suspect is autistic and he is often obsessive even over friends that could be both male or female of any reasonable age, he doesn't even have to be sexually attracted to them to be very obsessive over them and he constantly wants to call or message them, wanting to know what they're doing all the time, then he goes on and on about them alarmingly even if they for instance don't answer the phone on one occasion and I know he has lost friends that way, but he can't seem to see it. He even pressures me to be there with him all the time and he gets upset if I'm not there to obsess, especially if it's a time I'm usually there and I find it difficult to say "no" which is one of my autistic issues I struggle with. He is a really good friend in many ways and I enjoy his company in moderation, but he is definitely obsessive and it becomes overpowering where I'm constantly fighting to get the freedom to do other things on my own as well and I can understand why some people block him out, in fact it's worse for me because I am happy to be alone more than most people and that's when I feel most comfortable (well I have my cat and she is great company). Also when I spend time with him our autistic traits clash, for instance, I am told that I often shout even though to myself my voice level sounds normal, he seems oversensitive to sound and this really irritates him and he also often complains when I go on about things because he wants peace and quiet, I offer to leave him in peace, but he doesn't want this either, so I can't win.

I would love to hear of any way to actually handle these obsessive feelings if they occur or even ways to stop them happening in the first place, whether they're related to a romantic interest or just a friend, obviously without taking harmful medications which is sadly many doctors so called "solution". Such obsessive romantic interests have only ever ended in severe heartache for myself and at least they've been suppressed now, although I've only been at the receiving end of an obsessive friendship.

PS: If you are romantically interested, if you only try to be friends, she may only ever treat you this way and it maybe too late when you finally tell her you want more. I used to find it easier to tell women I was truly interested in sexually that I was only interested in friendship because it was easier for me to handle and more comfortable, but I found out the hard way that often before long they could only ever see me as a friend and they wouldn't want to risk ruining it with a sexual relationship. If however I showed romantic interest or at least made no mention of wanting just friendship, sometimes things would progress further than just friendship.

Last edited:
When I make a new friend, I’m usually like this too. I think about them non-stop, I talk about them non-stop. I think it’s partially because I used to be the worst at making friends. Anyway, for me the semi-obsession fades after a few weeks, and drops to normalcy.

Yeah, I've already noticed that I'm less obsessed with her than I was a couple of weeks ago. And I'm a lot less obsessed with her than I was in past friendships with girls. Overall I feel confident that I'll be able to maintain this friendship. I agree that the anxiety will most likely fade over time. Thanks.

You didn't say whether you were attracted to her in a romantic way or not, although you only mentioned friendship? I've been through exactly this on a number of occasions in the past where the person effectively became my special interest, but for me it's always been a romantic interest too, although this can still happen for some autistic people even if this isn't the case as I will explain in the next paragraph. For the past 15 years or so this has been suppressed however and I feel better off single, but I have found these obsessive thoughts virtually impossible to break in the past, they can if you're not careful frighten the person away or much worse if the person is that way inclined they could use it to take advantage of you which has happened to myself too. It's good that you seem to be trying to limit yourself so you don't appear so obsessive, but I suspect it could still come across that way if you're not really careful. You also sometimes need to be a little careful that any obsession never crosses the line into stalking, I later realised when I was much younger and still at school that I did cross the line when I started remembering the timetable of the girl I was obsessively interested in so I could "accidentally" keep being there when she left class if I was able to make it in time from my class to intercept her on her route to her next class, back then I honestly didn't understand that it was wrong, in fact I even believed that she'd be impressed at my dedication once she noticed and I hoped she'd make a move on me because I didn't have to confidence to, but it obviously ended really badly. I learned from my mistakes however and at least know not to cross what can be a fine line now.

I have a friend who I suspect is autistic and he is often obsessive even over friends that could be both male or female of any reasonable age, he doesn't even have to be sexually attracted to them to be very obsessive over them and he constantly wants to call or message them, wanting to know what they're doing all the time, then he goes on and on about them alarmingly even if they for instance don't answer the phone on one occasion and I know he has lost friends that way, but he can't seem to see it. He even pressures me to be there with him all the time and he gets upset if I'm not there to obsess, especially if it's a time I'm usually there and I find it difficult to say "no" which is one of my autistic issues I struggle with. He is a really good friend in many ways and I enjoy his company in moderation, but he is definitely obsessive and it becomes overpowering where I'm constantly fighting to get the freedom to do other things on my own as well and I can understand why some people block him out, in fact it's worse for me because I am happy to be alone more than most people and that's when I feel most comfortable (well I have my cat and she is great company). Also when I spend time with him our autistic traits clash, for instance, I am told that I often shout even though to myself my voice level sounds normal, he seems oversensitive to sound and this really irritates him and he also often complains when I go on about things because he wants peace and quiet, I offer to leave him in peace, but he doesn't want this either, so I can't win.

I would love to hear of any way to actually handle these obsessive feelings if they occur or even ways to stop them happening in the first place, whether they're related to a romantic interest or just a friend, obviously without taking harmful medications which is sadly many doctors so called "solution". Such obsessive romantic interests have only ever ended in severe heartache for myself and at least they've been suppressed now, although I've only been at the receiving end of an obsessive friendship.

PS: If you are romantically interested, if you only try to be friends, she may only ever treat you this way and it maybe too late when you finally tell her you want more. I used to find it easier to tell women I was truly interested in sexually that I was only interested in friendship because it was easier for me to handle and more comfortable, but I found out the hard way that often before long they could only ever see me as a friend which and they wouldn't want to risk ruining it with a sexual relationship. If however I showed romantic interest or at least made no mention of wanting just friendship, sometimes things would progress further than just friendship.

Thanks. I'm not going to talk to her and forever set in stone that our friendship is just a friendship. We haven't talked about that. I'm not going to bring it up, and I'm fairly certain that she's not going to bring it up. So maybe something will happen over time, but not anytime soon. For now I just want to build up our friendship, maybe to become a close friend of hers, however that happens.

It's always good to make new friends. Still it's best to not lose sight of yourself and not be to overbearing with her.

New Threads

Top Bottom