• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Canned solutions that never work.

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
It seems that every OS or device has these so called fixes tech support tells you to do that almost never fixes the issues Here are some of the dumb answers I been told

• Windows OS "run sfc /scannow"
  • Android phones "wipe the partition cache"
  • Streaming issues with Netflix and others "change DNS to Google DNS 8.8.8.8."
These never fix anything.

What's the problem? If you can describe it, there are several people on this site who can help you with it, including myself.

When you ran sfc/scannow did you do it offline or in safe mode? It scans and repairs corrupted files, replacing them from the win operating system folder.

Last edited:
The problem with tech support: well, it's called tech SUPPORT for a reason.

If you need a real fix done, there's one and only one way to make it happen: You have to physically take your device to somewhere that provides such a service (or have someone come to your place, whichever). It's utterly futile to try to deal with this sort of stuff via the phone or internet or anything like that. Sometimes those can provide temporary solutions, but often, the problem just gets buried and will come back later.

Which makes sense: You're just TELLING people about the problem, but the problem is taking place on an ultra-complicated device. All the related info cant truly be conveyed over the phone or internet or anything. To REALLY fix something for you, tech people need to be able to get their hands on it and explore the issue themselves. I say this as someone that has been FREQUENTLY asked to help with computer issues. And my instant response every single time is: "Sure, I'll HAVE A LOOK at it". I never give advice without doing that. This is also why, when you do leave your computer (or whatever device) with professional techs, they will often tell you that it will take a week or more. PROPERLY exploring these problems and their causes is not a fast process. It takes awhile.

So yeah: if you're having alot of trouble, take the device somewhere, or call out a tech to come to your place. Hell, I've had to do it pretty often for the internet connection in this house. Every now and then the modem will spaz out and decide to just keep doing so, and every bloody time, I end up having to call Comcast (the internet jerks... big nasty company) to send a tech out here to fix it. The guy always comes out with this big bag of weird looking gizmos. But the issue gets resolved. Which it wouldnt, if I were trying to just follow phone instructions (which I dont have the patience to do anyway). For BIG problems though, techs that come to you (instead of you going to them) may tell you they cant do anything as the problem needs more time than they could give you in one session.

I am highly intolerant of script reading tech support noobs that demonstrate a lack of technical knowledge.

I am highly intolerant of script reading tech support noobs that demonstrate a lack of technical knowledge.

Best not to assume how knowledgable or not they are.

Keep in mind, they are doing this as their job. They have rules they *must* follow. And sometimes, those rules are all sorts of stupid. But they dont get to make those decisions. So, the script gets read, simple as that.

Best not to assume how knowledgable or not they are.

Keep in mind, they are doing this as their job. They have rules they *must* follow. And sometimes, those rules are all sorts of stupid. But they dont get to make those decisions. So, the script gets read, simple as that.

I don't assume.

My analysis is based on observation.

I work in IT support and have done for 20 years.

I know when someone lacks technical knowledge, especially on helpdesks.

It seems that every OS or device has these so called fixes tech support tells you to do that almost never fixes the issues Here are some of the dumb answers I been told

• Windows OS "run sfc /scannow"
  • Android phones "wipe the partition cache"
  • Streaming issues with Netflix and others "change DNS to Google DNS 8.8.8.8."
These never fix anything.

These are noobish responses.

Just like the whole "have you tried turning it off and on again" stereotype perpetuated by The IT Crowd.

People that use this solution clearly have no idea how to use Task Manager or whatever process / resource manager is integrated into their OS.

I don't assume.

My analysis is based on observation.

I work in IT support and have done for 20 years.

I know when someone lacks technical knowledge, especially on helpdesks.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as something is accomplished, it doesnt particularly matter to me in the end how much knowledge someone has.

Besides. Mere observation isnt enough regardless of one's own experience. Even what you SEE someone do... even repetitvely... may not be a proper indication of what they do or do not know. Example: I'm a gamer, myself. Yes, I know, this has nothing to do with working, but bear with me here. The analogy will make sense. I've spent quite a bit of time in certain competitive games. Fighting games to be precise. My techniques are very unusual, and often the direct opposite of what is considered to be the "best" way of fighting. So many times... SO many times... I'll have people call me a "noob" if they're watching me when I'm just playing on my own. Often, that person will then challenge me. They assume, of course, that they can easily kick my butt, and they'll get a kick out of doing so if it happens.

Not once... not even ONCE... have they been correct, in all the years I've been doing this. Every one of these incidents ends in an utter massacre, usually with very little actual effort on my part. They not only lose, but stood no chance to begin with. They assumed, based on what they merely OBSERVED me doing, what my skill level is. They assumed that skill level to be very low. They may have even assumed true incompetence. The reality though is that my skill level is high to the point where even among pro players, it's highly abnormal. And keep in mind: These players that do this towards me, they are players with ALOT of experience... years, often. Yet still... they end up getting it COMPLETELY wrong to the point where I can outright embarrass them if I so choose (though I only do this if they act like a bully towards me first). Simply having lots of experience cant really bring about the true ability to correctly judge someone. Nor can observation. I only use that full ability in competition when I'm agitated/angry. I prefer to just have fun instead. But they assumed otherwise, and they assumed that my normal way of doing it was my ONLY way of doing it.

See what I mean? They have YEARS of experience, thousands of hours of practice and gaining knowledge... and they still get it dead wrong. What they thought was guaranteed fact was instead... an assumption based on observation. But they couldnt spot that. They didnt even realize they were making an assumption.

Not to mention that being on the spectrum usually results in... busted perception of others, I guess I can call it. Most of us here are TERRIBLE at figuring out stuff about others. Like, REALLY bad at it. It's one of the most common traits of autism in general. Believe me... that has a part in this sort of thing. I myself am no exception to this either, but I'm also fully aware of that. It's why you'll never hear me saying things like "noob" about someone (seriously, I've heard that term ALOT, and usually from... rather snotty individuals. Try not to do it.)

In short: utterly REGARDLESS of how much knowledge someone does or doesnt have... nasty terms like "noob", or disdain towards someone, or a lack of respect in general are uncalled for. We need not sink to that level. And sometimes, knowledge that we THINK is 100% correct about a person... is in reality, an assumption we werent aware that we made.

Also, disclaimer: Yes, I know there are plenty of people out there that genuinely ARE lazy or whatever. Plenty of idiots out there in the wild. Obviously. But my point is... until you TRULY get to know someone (and I mean a REAL friendship, not a "working relationship"), you dont know that. Even if you think you've observed enough to make that judgement. Even if you've seen them performing their tasks many times.

I apologize if some of this sounded rude somehow. I'm not good at phrasing stuff and my default mood is generally a dark one. I call myself "Misery" for a reason.

Anyway, I've ranted enough on here... that's enough out of me. I'd rather not go into this topic any further (and also my hands are starting to hurt... too much computer today).

I now return everyone to their regularly scheduled doldrums. Have a nice day, everyone.

What's the problem? If you can describe it, there are several people on this site who can help you with it, including myself.
Actually I have no issues with my devices. I am just posting this when I had issues and vented on the tech forums even getting banned once for replying that those answers did not work, were dumb canned answers, yes I did stupidly try them and they fixed nothing. Most of the time I figured it out myself someone with ASD I am good at.

Also found a new one I forgot to post.
  • "Did you search the forums". Those who know the answer but they don't want to help you. BTW when you search on the forum some forums are really bad to search you either get over 1000 results leading to nothing or "No results found"
  • Post on the "name of another forum". Those who brush you off and tell you to just get lost your question is not important. These people don't know the answer to the question". Example I have problems with my Sony BD Player not turning on and they tell me to post on the Asia forums which are not even in English instead of trying to help me.

Last edited:
You're a male and are depressed? Just man up! Works like a charm 100% of the time!

Sarcasm aside, that ideology is incredibly toxic.

Actually I have no issues with my devices. I am just posting this when I had issues and vented on the tech forums even getting banned once for replying that those answers did not work, were dumb canned answers, yes I did stupidly try them and they fixed nothing. Most of the time I figured it out myself someone with ASD I am good at.

Did the same, it's how I learned. In fact, in the early years of the internet the techs were really knowledgeable, I learned a lot from them. They knew far more than I did back then. Sometimes spent four or five hours on the phone with them, and they helped a lot, installing, repairing, even fixing bugs. Everything took so much time, that it was like double real time. Six hours later you looked up with bleary eyes and tried to focus on the screen.

Now it's not the same, as they farmed out much of the support when I lived in the city. Yet, I live in a place that had to have knowledgeable techs who are bilingual, so it's remained local and small. Most people here are new to the internet, so they don't even know the basics, so the techs have to be good to fix their issues. Mainly they want their phones to play games and videos, that's pretty much their internet.

Last edited:
In my early days of computing, I never did find that computer "guru" who could walk me through various problems. Inevitably I had to become my own computer guru. A process that began in the late 80s when I bought a DOS computer simulation that wouldn't work because of "insufficient conventional memory". That's when I learned to make my own custom autoexec.bat and config.sys files for DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1. From there I just kept going right up to building my own PCs.

Though even now troubleshooting can sometimes be daunting. Where I was unaware that my old network adapter was incompatible for Windows 10. But I eventually figured it out after researching hardware compatibility issues one-by-one of all my major hardware peripherals. After replacing my network adapter that used a different bus (PCI Express) rather than conventional PCI, the installation went flawlessly.

The last time I attempted to deal with support technicians was probably about ten years ago. And they didn't solve my problem with a router. Canned solutions or not, ultimately I had to figure it out on my own. And did. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom