• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you tell your left from your right?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
I can now, having done Martial Arts but I didn't used to be able to. I'm right handed, so when I was doing Karate up to about 6 years ago, I was always best in left leg stances doing right hand punches/right leg kicks.

I suppose in a way you could say I'm ambidextrous, because I can kind of use both hands, as I'm doing right now typing this.

So how about you guys? Are you left or right handed? And can you tell either way?

Both my kids are right handed but they kick with their left leg. They both find it hard to distinguish left from right.
I can do it, but never instantly. I always have to ask myself: 'With which hand I write? With this one. Ok, so that's the right'. In the admission test for a new school, they told me that my son had issues with laterality exercises.

Right handed, a bit ambidextrous when eating, typing. Come to think of it, most comfortable with the left leg stance as well. Always have to look at my hands, to understand left and right.

Funny you should ask that, Rich, because not when I was little, until, for some bizarre reason, remembering that we lived on the left, helped me to learn my left and right, but I sometimes, do still have to think about it.

However, many NT's get stuck too, so I have noticed.

Right handed. Sometimes I get left and right confused if have to think to quickly about it. I need a second to remember which is left and which is right.

There are 2 different questions here.
The title asks if I can tell my left from my right.
The original post asks whether I know which hand, if either,
is dominant, for me.

I am right handed.
I am right footed, as well, meaning I step
first with my right foot.

When I put on shoes or socks, I put the left one
on first. I take the left one off first, too.

When I want to tell a person which way to go,
I generally point because so often when I want to
say "right" and I know the direction IS "right," I
hear myself say "left."

I remember this. I tried the thing and it asked for what ear, eye, hand and leg. In the end I ended up with an even number. I guess middle brained?

I can't easily tell... I usually have to take a moment to consider. Driving lessons were fun that way when my instructor asked if I was doing it on purpose (but in a joking way), because I turned the wrong way three times in a row. If biking my friends will point rather than say the direction, because we might collide otherwise.

I usually write with my right hand (as I was taught), but can write with left too, and tasks are pretty much divided between both sides.

I can tell instantly what front/back and up/down is. But if I had to determine what left/right is, I have to pause for a moment to think about it and I think the reason for that is is that left/right are symmetrical to each other.

BTW: if you think getting left and right is confusing, try working in the naval/marine sector. There you have to learn what port and starboard are (port is left and starboard is right) and if you really what to get confused. Try working in theater. There you have stage left, stage right, house left and house right. Stage left is left for the performers and house left is left for the audience etc.

Someone tells me to turn left when I'm driving, I often turn right. And of course left when the y say right. I always have to work it out in my head where my right and left are and if I have to do it quick I often do it wrong. I'm also a bit ambidextrous, while I write with my right hand I tend to use my left for screw drivers.

I'm predominantly left handed but fully ambidextrous. I can write with either, both are pretty messy but legible ... and I have never wrote in cursive a day in my life... I failed that in grade school. I just write block letters all caps, no lower case... but yet people love my signature for some strange reason??

However, I have this tick, this pause... where sometimes I have to actually look at the hand I am going to write with, or mentally decide which one I am going to write with... its just so weird.

It doesn't bother me until I am being rushed and maybe some one hands me a paper from a different direction. Maybe in my head I had already made this freakish descision and I lost my train of thought. Sometimes it embarrasses me, because I have to pause and actually think about what I'm needing to do here... it makes me feel very stupid.

And left and right nuts and bolts... say working on a car engine, or something... If I am looking at it (it is facing me) all is good, but if I am reaching behind something and its facing the other direction I'm screwed... Its a train wreck until I can picture myself looking from that other direction...

Yep its messed up.

I can now, having done Martial Arts but I didn't used to be able to. I'm right handed, so when I was doing Karate up to about 6 years ago, I was always best in left leg stances doing right hand punches/right leg kicks.

I suppose in a way you could say I'm ambidextrous, because I can kind of use both hands, as I'm doing right now typing this.

So how about you guys? Are you left or right handed? And can you tell either way?
I'm right handed and I can tell the difference.

I pick up my pen, brush, knife, golf club, badminton racquet with my right hand but in most other things I use my left. When learning to box, I was a bit of a south paw. My left arm is on top when I fold my arms

Never had a problem following maps as I can see myself driving in my minds eye.

If there was one thing I don't understand, it would have to be exiting a shop/store. sometimes without thinking I'll exit and turn the opposite way I wanted to go.
ie, when walking along the row of shops, I made a mental note to visit another shop further up but have nipped into this shop first to have a look around. Exit the shop and turn back the way I approached rather than the direction needed to get me to the other shop further along.

I write and eat with my left, throw and swing a club with my right. The only time I know left, is when I am writing or eating - otherwise I draw a blank.

Nowadays I know left from right no problem but when I was little I didn't. I was about 8 and skiing once and my dad said go left and I went right down a black diamond.

To start off, I'm left-handed except for golf and hockey, neither of which I play anymore.

I had some difficulty at a younger age with left and right, but it suddenly went away at some point in elementary school. There might be an explanation, but I don't remember it.

I'm right handed but was born as a leftie, apparently my dad didn't like that so he forced me to switch, there was a time when that kind of thinking was fairly common... I only discovered this fact much later in life...

Now? I'm very clumsy with my left hand in many things, my hand/eye coordination is rather poor in general anyway.

But they do say that often lefties are creative types which sometimes describes me, in terms of the photography I do.

New Threads

Top Bottom