• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you predict anything anyone will ever say to you?

Fridgemagnetman

I only have one
V.I.P Member
Can you predict everything anyone will ever say to you?

Long time no see. @sidd851 said hello be funny or something on my profile so here is this.

wo reasons :

1. I can’t maintain a pretend level of interest for longer than one second.
  2. I can’t break my habit of telling the truth, which seems to be social suicide.
I needed to find a way round this.

I needed a plan for when dialogue fails.

If I didn’t speak then would I actually be lying?

Without speech, I could pretend interest for much longer by just nodding and occasionally moving my eyebrows up and down randomly.

The Plan
I got some carded paper and I wrote down a response to everything anyone could possibly say to me.

I wrote it on a few cards small enough to fit in a pocket.

I figure I could keep different cards in different pockets so I could communicate quickly.

I would never have to talk again.

I had my cards at the ready.

To read the rest - a click and a clap.

Long time no see. @sidd851 said hello be funny or something on my profile so here is this.

wo reasons :

1. I can’t maintain a pretend level of interest for longer than one second.
  2. I can’t break my habit of telling the truth, which seems to be social suicide.
I needed to find a way round this.

I needed a plan for when dialogue fails.

If I didn’t speak then would I actually be lying?

Without speech, I could pretend interest for much longer by just nodding and occasionally moving my eyebrows up and down randomly.

The Plan
I got some carded paper and I wrote down a response to everything anyone could possibly say to me.

I wrote it on a few cards small enough to fit in a pocket.

I figure I could keep different cards in different pockets so I could communicate quickly.

I would never have to talk again.

I had my cards at the ready.

To read the rest - a click and a clap.
That was quick.
Eerily so.
So you haven't traipsed off as far as I thought.
We are still a village, though, and
we're still making calls.
We're trying to find our idiot.
We're one short.
(Oh, okay. I like frogs too.;))

That was quick.
Eerily so.
So you haven't traipsed off as far as I thought.
We are still a village, though, and
we're still making calls.
We're trying to find our idiot.
We're one short.
(Oh, okay. I like frogs too.;))

I can imagine that doesn't make sense to many people.

As you'd have to read lots of different things in the right order :)

Yet it makes sense to me :)

Good seeing you roaming again ;)

Definitely need to visit the fish island more often. No fin is better than that bit of humour.

That was terrible.

Responses in the area I live in, usually in french.

Yes, lots of snow.
Three to one. (hockey related)
Yes his skates need sharpening. (Not very smart)
No, I don't come from this area.
I don't need a snowmobile.

Last edited:
Of course not in that regard.
Reminds me of an episode on Frasier.
Caller: I.. have.. a ..fear.. of. talking.. on. the. phone.
Frasier: Are you reading that?
hear papers rattle
Caller: Yes.. I. am.
Frasier: What if someone asks something you have not anticipated?
papers rattle.
Caller: Goodbye.
I loved that call. :)

I remember an exact moment I learned something about communicating with other people. I was in my early 20's and on the phone with a very social sister. She kept asking questions about something I was going through and it dawned on me; "Ohhhh. So to make someone think you're interested in what they are saying, you ask questions." I try, but even with 40 years of practice still find that hard to do because I have no idea what to ask.

Lol - Actually, still in my 20's, my cousin's crazy wife called me one day and said she just shot herself in the leg. I had no earthly idea how to respond to that and remember thinking, ask questions, ask questions. So I asked the first question that popped into my head, "Is it bleeding?" Yes. Okay then.

So I asked the first question that popped into my head, "Is it bleeding?" Yes. Okay then.

Pats, that is funny. I wouldn't know what to say other than, have you called 911, are you putting pressure on it? My first thought was: Does it hurt:D? Guess I'd say the wrong thing in that situation.

Last edited:
Lol - Actually, still in my 20's, my cousin's crazy wife called me one day and said she just shot herself in the leg. I had no earthly idea how to respond to that and remember thinking, ask questions, ask questions. So I asked the first question that popped into my head, "Is it bleeding?" Yes. Okay then.

I'd have likely responded in asking whether or not she was being metaphorical. But was that technically the correct answer?

I'd hate to blurt out, "You mean you could have had a V-8?" So much for navigating metaphors. :p

I'm actually mostly nonverbal. I get by most of the time by nodding my head yes, shaking it no and shrugging. I also use text to speech on my phone or use my phone screen as a flash card.

New Threads

Top Bottom