• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you hear electricity?

Effy

self-advocating autistic
I describe it as the "mosquito tone". I can hear my phone charging. It's horrible. It has taken me a while to figure out what that annoying sound was, but I've finally found it. I can also hear my wax melt warmer sometimes, as sometimes, things create buzzing sounds... I don't know what other word it would be called, other than "electricity", but wow.

I guess it's time for me to finally get some new headphones again. My others broke, and I never realized it was this bad, but I've been without headphones for three weeks now, and this sound is so miserable. :(

I don't think I can hear electricity, but I do sometimes hear a soft static sound from certain electrical appliances (a television or a lamp).

I don't think I can hear electricity, but I do sometimes hear a soft static sound from certain electrical appliances (a television or a lamp).
Maybe that's a better word for it. I just didn't know what to call it. :(

I can't hear electricity explicitly, but you know that black box on laptop cords to help moderate current? It whines.

Some older TVs I cannot stand for the same reason most autistic people (myself included) hate fluorescent lights, although fluorescent lights have a lower-pitched whine than those old TVs when it's a white or mostly white screen.

Ugh, those lines are the worst. >.>
I never noticed mine whined. Maybe it does. Maybe I'll hear it. I need headphones. :( I drowned out these sounds with music all this time, haha.

I hate the sound of power lines. I got the power company to move my step down transformer away from my house as the noise was driving me nuts, company thought I was nuts anyway as no one else could hear it.

I can hear a kind of "electrostatic" sound from some electrical devices or sometimes specific components. I switch off all my electrical devices in my room at the wall outlets to completely disconnect them from any source of electricity when I go to bed, because otherwise the sound of electricity running through them will keep me awake at night. I haven't been able to find the exact source of the noise yet, as I have a lot of electrical stuff in my room.

I can hear some devices humming like powerlines, old TVs and some lights, but as I've got older I no longer hear the very high frequency range, so I can't hear them as much as I used to be able to. High frequency whining is especially bad.

Yes.
Almost everything thats plugged in produces a high pitched buzzing/screetching sound.
Just like Axeman52 I unplug everything in my bedroom before I go to sleep.

At my parents house there is also a gass stove (made to look like a fireplace) which screetches, nobody else has heard it.
Few believe I can actually hear stuff like that, and then they sort of say I'm immagining it.

I can hear when a TV is being turned on or off from another room, my phone charging and for some wierd reason I can hear an electrical noise comming out of my laptops usb 3.0 port.

There are many other noises that I can hear, but I can sleep with most noises exept for the noise that my laptop makes when it is charging.

Something that I find impossible is sleeping when somebody else is in the room.

I think some people have the ability to hear frequencies that most humans are not able to hear which is the reason why some people can hear electricity

I hear sounds that I don't think most people notice, coming from electrical equipment. There are also devices that make sounds that only cats are supposed to be able to hear, but that I can hear too.

I describe it as the "mosquito tone". I can hear my phone charging. It's horrible. It has taken me a while to figure out what that annoying sound was, but I've finally found it. I can also hear my wax melt warmer sometimes, as sometimes, things create buzzing sounds... I don't know what other word it would be called, other than "electricity", but wow.

I guess it's time for me to finally get some new headphones again. My others broke, and I never realized it was this bad, but I've been without headphones for three weeks now, and this sound is so miserable. :(

"Mosquito tone" is a great way to describe it :)

I hear sounds that I don't think most people notice, coming from electrical equipment. There are also devices that make sounds that only cats are supposed to be able to hear, but that I can hear too.

Do you mean those devices that are meant to stop cats and aspies from using the garden as a toilet?:D

Oh yeah. Sometimes I feel like it's a real curse to hear all the things you really don't want to hear.

I keep thinking about buying an Electro Magnetic Field detector, but I'm afraid it would freak me out to both verify and quantify what I can already hear with my own ears.

I hear it too. The other thing I hear quite loudly is the very low hum that people make, even when they're silent/not speaking etc. It distracts me quite badly.

I can hear that bloody analog clock my mother has hanging on the wall... ALL NIGHT LONG. I swear, one of these days, I'm going to rip that bastard off the wall, take it out into the backyard and introduce it to the bloody axe!!!

I have a limited ability to hear it, but aging is gradually taking care of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom