1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you hear electricity?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Effy, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Effy

Effy self-advocating autistic

I describe it as the "mosquito tone". I can hear my phone charging. It's horrible. It has taken me a while to figure out what that annoying sound was, but I've finally found it. I can also hear my wax melt warmer sometimes, as sometimes, things create buzzing sounds... I don't know what other word it would be called, other than "electricity", but wow.

I guess it's time for me to finally get some new headphones again. My others broke, and I never realized it was this bad, but I've been without headphones for three weeks now, and this sound is so miserable. :(

• Like Like x 2
  2. Grumpy Cat

Grumpy Cat Well-Known Member

I hear machines like printers or copiers usually (when they aren't actually printing anything I mean).

• Like Like x 1
  3. SameStars

SameStars Well-Known Member

I don't think I can hear electricity, but I do sometimes hear a soft static sound from certain electrical appliances (a television or a lamp).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Effy

Maybe that's a better word for it. I just didn't know what to call it. :(

5. AsheSkyler

AsheSkyler Feathered Jester

I can't hear electricity explicitly, but you know that black box on laptop cords to help moderate current? It whines.

Some older TVs I cannot stand for the same reason most autistic people (myself included) hate fluorescent lights, although fluorescent lights have a lower-pitched whine than those old TVs when it's a white or mostly white screen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Effy

Ugh, those lines are the worst. >.>
    I never noticed mine whined. Maybe it does. Maybe I'll hear it. I need headphones. :( I drowned out these sounds with music all this time, haha.

7. Harrison

Harrison The Mad Taoist

I hate the sound of power lines. I got the power company to move my step down transformer away from my house as the noise was driving me nuts, company thought I was nuts anyway as no one else could hear it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Axeman52

Axeman52 Well-Known Member

I can hear a kind of "electrostatic" sound from some electrical devices or sometimes specific components. I switch off all my electrical devices in my room at the wall outlets to completely disconnect them from any source of electricity when I go to bed, because otherwise the sound of electricity running through them will keep me awake at night. I haven't been able to find the exact source of the noise yet, as I have a lot of electrical stuff in my room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

I can hear some devices humming like powerlines, old TVs and some lights, but as I've got older I no longer hear the very high frequency range, so I can't hear them as much as I used to be able to. High frequency whining is especially bad.

10. apsie

apsie Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Almost everything thats plugged in produces a high pitched buzzing/screetching sound.
    Just like Axeman52 I unplug everything in my bedroom before I go to sleep.

At my parents house there is also a gass stove (made to look like a fireplace) which screetches, nobody else has heard it.
    Few believe I can actually hear stuff like that, and then they sort of say I'm immagining it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. anthoskate

anthoskate Well-Known Member

I can hear when a TV is being turned on or off from another room, my phone charging and for some wierd reason I can hear an electrical noise comming out of my laptops usb 3.0 port.

There are many other noises that I can hear, but I can sleep with most noises exept for the noise that my laptop makes when it is charging.

Something that I find impossible is sleeping when somebody else is in the room.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Penguin

The Penguin Chilly Willy The Penguin

I think some people have the ability to hear frequencies that most humans are not able to hear which is the reason why some people can hear electricity

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Vinca

Vinca Speaking through Pictures V.I.P Member

I hear sounds that I don't think most people notice, coming from electrical equipment. There are also devices that make sounds that only cats are supposed to be able to hear, but that I can hear too.

"Mosquito tone" is a great way to describe it :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. anthoskate

anthoskate Well-Known Member

Do you mean those devices that are meant to stop cats and aspies from using the garden as a toilet?:D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Sometimes I feel like it's a real curse to hear all the things you really don't want to hear.

I keep thinking about buying an Electro Magnetic Field detector, but I'm afraid it would freak me out to both verify and quantify what I can already hear with my own ears.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vinca

Vinca Speaking through Pictures V.I.P Member

lol :D

17. Madame Catfish

Madame Catfish ...Fascinating...

Yes. It's kind of irritating. I can smell electricity, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sass

Sass Well-Known Member

I hear it too. The other thing I hear quite loudly is the very low hum that people make, even when they're silent/not speaking etc. It distracts me quite badly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ImAnAspie

ImAnAspie Well-Known Member

I can hear that bloody analog clock my mother has hanging on the wall... ALL NIGHT LONG. I swear, one of these days, I'm going to rip that bastard off the wall, take it out into the backyard and introduce it to the bloody axe!!!

20. Flinty

Flinty Off Indefinite Hiatus, I Guess V.I.P Member

I have a limited ability to hear it, but aging is gradually taking care of it.

• Informative Informative x 1