• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you handle some jokes/teasing?

music.forlife7

I can. I had to get used to it, but I actually love some sarcasm. More so in fiction than in real life. Sam from iCarly is one of my favorite characters because she's so hilarious to watch. She's the complete opposite of me, and that's why she appeals to me. I wouldn't want to like a character that's exactly like me.

As for real life, I'm learning to appreciate jokes. They remind me not to take life too seriously. When I got a haircut recently, the hair stylist said: So, we're shaving it off today?" and I laughed. I surprised myself that it wasn't a forced laugh, I actually found the joke really funny. My family and friends have told me "You need to learn how to laugh and joke more." So I'm taking their advice.

Is there anyone else with AS who's like this?

It depends on my mood and who's joking.

I joke around a bit myself sometimes, but I feel that I know when I can joke and when I can't. I can joke well enough to make people laugh out loud at a funeral so to say. Not saying I should... but I can usually get people over their sad state a bit for comedic relief.

I also found that if I joke myself, it really depends on who I'm with if I can joke even. A lot of my jokes are media oriented. So I'll pull a reference from a movie or so. Not everyone has seen that movie. And as such the joke really fails. SImilarly, not everyone can stand a rude joke. And I'm quite sure that a lot of my jokes are really, really offensive. I have gotten a few "did he just say that?" looks both from friends and strangers... and it wasn't neccesarily that they were offended, but more along the lines of "how can you come up with something that's both that offensive and funny".

On a sidenote: I once had some ideas of doing a stand-up routine in the area, but since we don't have any real venues here, that failed. Besides; I'm quite sure that for the general populus I'm considered way to offensive.

Jokes? No problem.

Teasing? Don't even think about it. Only *I* may dance.

I can usually take jokes as long as they aren't really offensive. I will get offended by things that wouldn't nessesarily be offensive to me, but on behalf of someone else too. But sometimes if they are in on the joke it can be funny, like a gay person telling a gay joke, then it doesn't seem so mean. I have a lesbian friend, I will sometimes tell her a joke about gays or lesbians, and she knows that I would never say anything with the intention of being hurtful, and she does sometimes have a crude sense of humor, so she isn't really offended. Jokes in fiction are easier to take i think, in part because you know its not in any way a dig at you personally. In real life it can be hard to tell sometimes. Most of my jokes tend to do with me saying really absurd things, very seriously and then people believe me, and I tend to take it too far I guess.

I grew up in a family of "jokers" & I feel it often went too far or that my parents did nothing when it did go too far. (Eg: My brothers would give me hell for being a "try hard" in social situations or tease me about being fat, when just over a year ago, I had been hospitalised for anorexia.) I have won prizes for my comedic verse, so I am not without humour. I do however think it's a shame so many people can only have fun at others' expense or just seem to laugh & giggle at everything!

My family was always big on teasing and joking around the dinner table.. I struggled with it when I was <10.. After that, I guess I eventually grew a thicker skin.. Now, most people can't get to me unless they know exactly what buttons to push (my wife has learned some buttons :p).

Oh definitely. Sarcasm, joking and teasing is a vital part of my personality. I tease my friends and joke about them, but I can also appreciate being the subject of a joke or teasing. My ground rule is that it has to be funny, otherwise it’s just mean.
Boyfriend and me tease each other a lot, and it’s good fun. The only downside is that he doesn’t always sense whether I’m in the mood for teasing and jokes. Sometimes he teases me when I’m angry, which is not a good idea.

I had a lot of difficulty with this as a child, and was bullied a lot because of it, both by my siblings and at school. I couldn't tell whether anything was meant as a joke or serious, and took everything seriously, often got very upset at their teasing and couldn't handle it at all, didn't have the social skills to handle it, so melted down. Which lead to more teasing, because for them it was fun to provoke me and watch me melt down. I was their entertainment.

Now it's a bit better, but I still find it hard to tell when something is a joke or serious, but I can handle it better and don't melt down at least :)

Last edited:
I can see now that it was my Aspergers that made me react so badly to teasing as a young child. That didn't make it any less upsetting at the time. Fancy believing that my family would put a live crab in my bed! I was too little to know that the crab wouldn't live & I guess I figured that they would think it funny if I got bitten. I remember being 7 & almost running into traffic, rather than give my dad the satisfaction of seeing me get doused by 1 of those old fashioned rotating sprinklers.

Incidentally, I still think people who can't crack a joke, unless it is at somebody else's expense are pathetic and should send themselves up for a change!

I had a lot of difficulty with this as a child, and was bullied a lot because of it, both by my siblings and at school. I couldn't tell whether anything was meant as a joke or serious, and took everything seriously, often got very upset at their teasing and couldn't handle it at all, didn't have the social skills to handle it, so melted down. Which lead to more teasing, because for them it was fun to provoke me and watch me melt down. I was their entertainment.

Now it's a bit better, but I still find it hard to tell when something is a joke or serious, but I can handle it better and don't melt down at least :)

I still have troubles telling if some people are joking or serious on occasion.. Usually with people I don't know very well.. I try to guess, but sometimes I guess wrong, which can be a little awkward..

I can see now that it was my Aspergers that made me react so badly to teasing as a young child. That didn't make it any less upsetting at the time. Fancy believing that my family would put a live crab in my bed! I was too little to know that the crab wouldn't live & I guess I figured that they would think it funny if I got bitten. I remember being 7 & almost running into traffic, rather than give my dad the satisfaction of seeing me get doused by 1 of those old fashioned rotating sprinklers.

That sounds awful... A live crab in your bed?! Why?! o_O

Of course they didn't do it, they just thought it was funny to pretend they had. My psychologist told me that it's actually normal for a 6yo to not perceive such a story as playful teasing & not necessarily related to asperger's.

Of course they didn't do it, they just thought it was funny to pretend they had. My psychologist told me that it's actually normal for a 6yo to not perceive such a story as playful teasing & not necessarily related to asperger's.
I come from northern England so I’m immersed in the sometimes very cold English sense of humor but being autistic I don’t pretend I like it,But I’m not !!!saying English people are the most evil No !!!!!!country is perfect

New Threads

Top Bottom